PDA

View Full Version : Pro shock

Olav
03-05-2007, 08:18 AM
Anyone used them, compared to Koni, Bilstein or KYB ?

Randy67
03-05-2007, 08:52 AM
I have a set on my El Camino, but it is not together yet so no driving experience. They are pretty stiff, probably better than a KYB (for stiffer springs that is), but not quite as good as Bilstein or Koni. But they are alot cheaper. I got all 4 for less than $190. The valving is setup for stiff circle track springs, so they may be too much for softer springs.

Olav
03-07-2007, 12:02 AM
Anyone else.....

Olav
03-09-2007, 11:30 AM
Cheap.....are that for all four, 3way adjustable. The price I got was $139 for a pair. Anyone else that have them
The price are almost the same as Bilstein, should i go for bilstein or Pro.

High Plains Mopars
03-09-2007, 01:45 PM
Which Pros are you looking at? They offer several different lines from pre-set, non adjustable to single and double adjustable to coil over versions.

Olav
03-09-2007, 02:05 PM
3way adjust.

High Plains Mopars
03-10-2007, 05:54 AM
They aren't bad. Like mentioned earlier, their primary market is oval track racers so their valving is designed for some fairly high spring rates. When I used them it was on a race car. They tended to be as competitive as most other bargain priced shocks. I have no street experience with them.

I wasn't allowed to use adjustable units, so we spent some time on the phone with their tech guys explaining our set up and tracks to get the right set up without buying several different sets. The adjustable units would have given us more flexability if we had been allowed to use them, so they should be alright for your application, provided you've stepped up your spring rates some as well. We used, depending on which track we were at, 700 to 1000 pound front springs and 175-200 pund rear springs. The Pros decreased our lap times compared to off the shelf parts store shocks, so I'd say they were effective.

Certainly companies like Carrera and Koni have their reputations for a reason, and while Pro shocks are decent, I don't know if I'd say they are in the same league. I often spent time talking to the guys in classes above me and the universal consensus was that springs are springs. There aren't a lot of tricks to them and everyone has access to the same rates. Shocks, however, can have a major impact on how a car behaves so they always recommended buying the best shocks I could afford. Pros were the best bang for the buck, so I went with them over some other brands as I was on a very tight budget.