PDA

View Full Version : Hate to say it, but Boyd was right.....

Boyd
12-08-2004, 06:58 AM
I wasn't picking sides in the BlueBear/Boyd battle because I hadn't seen the episode yet. Well I watched it last night and I'm sorry to say it, but I have to agree with Boyd on this one. When the "deal" was made to do the "rat rod" build-off, Boyd SPECIFICALLY said one of the conditions of him willing to foot the bill was that he had last word on safety. This was said by Boyd before BlueBear's car was even rolled into the shop, and BlueBear agreed to it. Now, is an unboxed frame safe? Probably-if you don't put a high-torque,high-horsepower motor in between the rails. And is a boxed frame safer than an unboxed frame? Absolutely-unless you have one of the Three Stooges doing the fabricating. So as much as I liked the kid, Boyd was right.

****No, I am in no way affiliated with Boyd Coddington, Boyd is my last name and have went by Boyd most of my life.

RedAddiction
12-08-2004, 11:25 PM
It's pretty sad to see that kid throw away the oppurtunities he had to build the car he wanted with any parts at no cost to him. Bluebear was a spoiled little brat you can tell by his attitued and the way he argued back I would bet he did the same to his parents. Isn't he Coddington's nephew ?

TonyL
12-08-2004, 11:50 PM
the thing that gets me, still to this point. is why the rails werent reinforced antother way. the could have been made out of thicker metal. they could have been filled with plate on the inside of the existing rail and plug welded in high stress zones. There were more options than to box or not to box. why didnt anyone see that?

David Pozzi
12-09-2004, 01:05 PM
Didnt't they box most of the frame, the rear part then leave a section in front near the engine stock? I think it's even worse to box part of the frame and leave a weak link like that...