PDA

View Full Version : Advice: Purchase a car without a cowl tag?

pennysaver
02-28-2007, 11:45 AM
Has anybody had any experience (good or bad) with purchasing a car without a cowl tag? I've found a camao in good shape for sale that doesn't have one. The owner is up front about it, but still, this is my only hang up. I have no desire or interest in restoring it to original condition, but am hesitant as to how it could affect resale value when it comes time to send it down the road. Any advice/comments/suggestions is appreciated.

Thanks, Mark

derekf
02-28-2007, 11:50 AM
Cowl tag as in the trim tag, or the VIN tag?

zo66
02-28-2007, 12:00 PM
cowl tags are of little importance and can be duplicated or created to read whatever you like,what is important if you are doing a restoration is a strong line of proof or history that is creditable.i would caution you on doing an expensive restoration if there is no history trail.

vintageracer
02-28-2007, 12:31 PM
The repo Camaro trim tags are obvious to those in the know. The guy making them is close but not exact so IF your plan would every include installing a trim tag to make the car a Z/28 with an X code (assuming the car is a Norwood built car after the second week of December 68), you are out of luck!

Besides most people building a PT car shave/smooth the firewall anyway so who cares if you have a trim tag. If the car is good, BUY IT!

pennysaver
02-28-2007, 01:46 PM
Derekf, it's the trim tag on firewall that is missing (sorry for any confusion). Thanks for the replies guys. My plan for the car (it's an early 2nd gen) would be to eventually give it the PT treatment, as stock restorations aren't my interest. Besides, I just can't go there with the repo tag. I gotta be able to live with myself.

Thanks again for your replies.

-Mark

camaro608
02-28-2007, 02:00 PM
buy it then smooth it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RobM
02-28-2007, 03:14 PM
If the car is nice and the price is right.... I wouldn’t think twice about buying it.

You might even be able to use it to your advantage in working out a price. the seller doesn’t need to know you don't care about originality.. Tell them with out the tag the car is compromised ect..

camaro608
02-28-2007, 03:58 PM
:headbang: thats a good idea

pennysaver
03-01-2007, 06:12 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. Y'all have definitely given me something to think about.

Dayton
03-01-2007, 11:18 AM
If you are a "#'s matching guy" , then, yes, the cowl tag is important. Otherwise, no big deal.