PDA

View Full Version : Mounting universal alum radiator in 1st Gen F-body

67 455 Bird ragtop
02-28-2007, 09:50 AM
Anyone have a universal aluminum radiator mounted in their 1st gen F-body ??? If so can you detail how you mounted it?? Pics would be a bonus. I have a few ideas but would like to see how others mounted thiers.

Paul69camaro
03-05-2007, 02:17 PM
I made a tray that I riveted to the bottom of the radiator support, and then made some brackets that sandwiched the radiator to the support. Here's a link for an earlier post that shows one of these brackets. https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24034 I made sure that everything making contact with the radiator was insulated in rubber or something that would damage it.

Sorry that these pics kinda suck but I don't have any other pics of it and my car is at my parents place.

paul

L n L
03-07-2007, 02:49 PM
Consider just trying a good electric fan and water pump FIRST. I used the 3300cfm flexalite shrouded fan, and CSI pump on my 469" Pontiac, and it ran COOL!

Maybe consider using the DCControls for both of them.

Lee

67 455 Bird ragtop
03-08-2007, 03:58 PM
Consider just trying a good electric fan and water pump FIRST. I used the 3300cfm flexalite shrouded fan, and CSI pump on my 469" Pontiac, and it ran COOL!

Maybe consider using the DCControls for both of them.

Lee

I have a dual fan set up from an 4th grn T/A. But my old original 4-core is dead :(. So I need to buy a new radiator anyway.

FMG CAMARO
03-08-2007, 06:36 PM
I have a summit universal aluminum radiator that I am going to put in a 1968 Camaro. I am going to make mounting brackets out of aluminum utilizing stock mounting holes. I am then going to have a local radiator shop weld the brackets onto the radiator.

Magntik
03-09-2007, 06:00 AM
I have a Summit universal in my '67 Firebird.
I don't recall the guage for sure, but I took two flat pieces and ran them thru the sheet metal brake.
Full length of the tanks for maximun support, a local shop welded them to the tanks and I drilled holes to mount it in the factory location on the core support.
Even used the same bolts.
Not overly fancy but it gets the job done.