PDA

View Full Version : EFI and Twin Turbo (from old site)

derekf
08-17-2004, 07:01 AM
EFI and twin turbo
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guys I'm sorry if ya have gone over this a thousand times, I just got my 383 back from the machine shop and i'm currently looking for and efi set-up to safely support up to about a 1000Hp. The thing is that i'll be running twin turbos with pump gas in street trim and was wondering if any efi kit had any kind of a knock retard. I'm also converting a victor jr manifold over to EFI, how much should i expect to have the bosses welded on and the rails made. Any help or recommendations on which kit would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for ya's time

Paul

camcojb
(3/30/04 8:45 pm)
Re: EFI and twin turbo
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Paul, I think most of the aftermarket EFI systems can incorporate knock retard, but all the tuners I know don't use it. I know the FAST has this feature.

Force Fuel Injection (http://www.force-efi.com/) can do the bosses and fuel rails; he did mine and it was $375. complete. Talk to Rob and tell him I sent you.

Jody
MY CARS

Paul69camaro
(3/30/04 10:17 pm)
Reply thanks
Jody, Thanks for the quick reply, I don't know if you remember or not but about a year ago you really help me out on camaroz28.com about building a supercharged 383, well i got the motor built but now instead of doing the supercharger i'm doing twins I also had a few questions about a cam, do you think you might be able to point me in the right direction? Thanks again.

Paul

camcojb
(3/30/04 10:29 pm)
Re: thanks
My goals are virtually identical to yours; 1000 HP or so with a 383. I'm using twin PT-52's from Precision which made 1300 HP on Meaneys Vette. I had Precision spec the cam for me as they know a lot more about turbos than I do. I am using a hydraulic roller with a rev kit. This thing will idle at 19 inches of vacuum (which was my preferance) and can support well over 1000 HP. I can get you specs if you need, but it's very mild, nothing like an equivalent centrifugal camshaft.

Jody
MY CARS

Paul69camaro
(3/31/04 7:01 am)
Reply cam specs
Jody, Thanks again, I'm really intereseted in the cam specs the sent you, also what is the rev kit? Are you gonna run 83lb injectors with the fast ecu or how are you doing your set-up. Thanks again.

Paul

camcojb
(3/31/04 7:54 am)
Re: cam specs
I'm using the FAST ecu and 95# injectors. Bigger than I need, but I always seem to make more power than I think I will, and usually run out of injector.

Mark Stielow's "Malitude" made just over 1000 HP and idles with 19 inches of vacuum. Exactly what I was looking for; smooth idle, quiet, and sneaky fast. Precision Turbo has used this cam to well over 1000 HP:

.577 intake lift (1.6 rocker) and .541 ex (1.5 rocker)
224 @ .050
114 lobe separation....only 4 degrees of overlap!

A rev kit is a second set of springs/cups that sit on top of the lifter body with a plate held under the cylinder head; they give extra spring pressure to control the heavier hydraulic roller lifters to prevent valve float.

Jody
MY CARS

Paul69camaro
(3/31/04 11:18 am)
Reply rev kit
Jody, sorry to take up your time, but does the rev kit work with any hydraulic lifters? Also who sells these rev kits. Also I thought that a forced induction motor would benefit from a higher exhaust lift. Thanks again for your time.

camcojb
(3/31/04 11:27 am)
Re: rev kit
Rev kits aren't used with standard hydraulic lifters, just the hydraulic rollers due to the weight. AFR makes a nice kit for them. On the cam specs, turbo cams are different, no doubt. That cam came from the owner of Precision Turbo himself, with his guarantee I'd be happy. Since he has all the experience I'm trusting his opinion. I have seen turbo cams with less duration and lift on the exhaust side.

Jody
MY CARS

XcYZ
(3/31/04 12:32 pm)
You can check out AFR's rev-kit here:

AFR Hydra-rev (http://www.airflowresearch.com/pages/hydra_rev.htm)
Scott
My 69
Lateral-g.net

Paul69camaro
(3/31/04 1:22 pm)
Reply rev kit
My bad i meant hydraulic roller lifters, so i can used the regular style lunati hydraulic roller lifters with this Rev kit right? Thanks again

camcojb
(3/31/04 3:01 pm)
Paul,

They have a couple styles of kits; one for oem lifters and one for aftermarket ones. What heads are you running?
MY CARS

Paul69camaro
(3/31/04 3:05 pm)
Reply rev kit
I've got a set of Dart Pro 1, that are on there now.

camcojb
(3/31/04 3:10 pm)
You may have an issue running the rev kit. The Dart Iron Eagles (which I believe are the same castings as the Pro 1's other than material) don't have the center section cast in them to support the upper plate that holds the rev kit in place. The plate would bend badly which would not be good. You could heli-arc a spacer or maybe AFR has a specific kit for them by now. I spoke to them about several years ago.

The area I'm speaking of is around where the center exhaust recirculation port would be on a stock head; you don't need the port but the bottom of that boss must be equal to the bottom the area under the intake ports. The Iron Eagles aren't.

Jody
MY CARS

Paul69camaro
(3/31/04 4:00 pm)
Reply Rev kit
I'm screwed, just talk to Ted at AFR and he said that there is no way to put the rev-kit on the Pro 1's because of the lack of material. Oh well That Sucks

Paul69camaro
(3/31/04 9:22 pm)
Reply Thanks
Jody, Thanks again for everything

camcojb
(3/31/04 9:26 pm)
Re: Thanks
No problem Paul. Still think a guy could weld a support to their plate and make it work with those heads; I just wanted you to be aware that it doesn't work out of the box.

Jody
MY CARS

Paul69camaro
(4/1/04 9:35 am)
Reply Rev kit
I'll have to look into it, I'm gonna search for pics and stuff so I can get a better understanding of the rev kits. If I don't get the rev kit, i'm not supposed to turn over 6500 RPM right? Also, with Hydraulic roller cams am I supposed to get those oil restrictor things that go on the back of the block. Thanks

camcojb
(4/1/04 9:39 am)
Re: Rev kit
No restrictors on the hydraulic motor. No rev kit just stops from 6500+ rpms, yet most hydraulic rollers don't go that high anyway. Just gives more stability in the upper rpms.

Jody
MY CARS

Paul69camaro
(4/1/04 2:00 pm)
Reply Cam
Jody, just to let you know i just placed my order over at lunati for a hyrdaulic roller cam to the specs you gave me. Thanks again

Paul

camcojb
(4/1/04 3:29 pm)
Re: Cam
Copycat!!!!!!!!!

Jody
MY CARS

Paul69camaro
(4/1/04 8:10 pm)
Reply timing drive?
Hey Jody, what do you recommemend i do as far as a timing drive, double roller or the quiet gears?

camcojb
(4/1/04 8:19 pm)
Re: timing drive?
I like the true roller chains/gears. Not the cheapy look-a-likes, but the real true roller. Virtually no stretch, and reasonable cost.

Jody
MY CARS

Blown353
(4/1/04 10:03 pm)
Reply Re: timing drive?
Paul, you can run an AFR Hydra-Rev kit on Pro-1's. I know because I am running a Hydra-Rev kit on my 200cc Pro-1's. You just need to fab a support for the center part of the head where the EGR crossover would normally be as Jody said, which is a piece of cake.

I also prefer to pin or bolt the bar for the rev-kit to the head at the ends to prevent the bar from "dancing" around and rubbing the pushrods.

Troy
My Pro-Touring 1969 Chevelle - Procharged 353, GW Suspension, TKO 5-speed, Baers, and other stuff. FAST EFI and sheetmetal manifold on the way.

Edited by: Blown353 at: 4/1/04 10:08 pm

Paul69camaro
(4/2/04 8:11 am)
Reply Cool
Troy, you would'nt happen to have any pics by any chance would you? Also do you have the part # of that AFR Rev kit you ordered? So Roller Chain uh, Thanks again guys

Blown353
(4/2/04 2:01 pm)
Reply Re: Cool
Paul, I'm using the #6150 Hydra-Rev kit for aftermarket hydraulic roller lifters. I run Comp HR lifters.

I noticed you said you ordered Lunati lifters... unfortunately the AFR web page says the #6150 does not work with Lunati or Crane hydraulic roller lifters. My guess is the buttons are not compatible.

I think I have pictures somewhere, I will try and find them. It's easier than you would guess-- I just drilled and tapped a hole in the center of the bar for a 3/8-16" bolt, and ran a bolt up snug against the EGR crossover area. I did put nuts on either side of the bar and red loctited them to keep the bolt captive. It works well and supports the bar with no issues. I did drill and pin the ends of the rev kit bar to the heads to keep it from walking.

Troy
My Pro-Touring 1969 Chevelle - Procharged 353, GW Suspension, TKO 5-speed, Baers, and other stuff. FAST EFI and sheetmetal manifold on the way.

Paul69camaro
(4/4/04 10:24 am)
Reply Lifters
Actually I just ordered the lunati cam, I did'nt order the lifters yet because i was unsure about this rev-kit, So let me see if i got this right, this rev kit install to the head with one center bolt and the out ends of the bar are held by pins? So basically just fab up a spacer for the middle, drill and tap it and weld it to the head? Thanks

Paul

Mark Antrim
(4/14/04 4:47 am)
Reply Re:cam
Jody, is that cam spec you listed a stock cam or a special grind cam? I need to go visit Precision Turbo(they are only 10 minutes away from me) and check out their product a little.

camcojb
(4/14/04 7:32 am)
Re: Re:cam
Mark,

That is a custom grind they have done by Comp.

Jody
MY CARS