PDA

View Full Version : Roebling Cotillion

Varkwso
02-26-2007, 02:54 PM
At the first SeatTime event of 2007on 23 February several people presented their new rides for a really full day of track time at Roebling (over 2 hours if you could handle it). The belle of the ball was definitely Larry's Ford GT - white with blue stripes naturally. But the procharged C6 convertible was no slouch either. There were lots of first timers there plus a big contingent of track regulars. The C5 ZO6 was probably the largest car segment but the 911 crowd was running second (something I guess they should get used to). I have noticed a large transformation in the cars at track events in the last 5 years or so. As C5s have become affordable used cars they are showing up more and more on the track. One day there will be a SpecC5 class to run alongside the remaining Spec944s. The "911" will probably still be in production.

The weather could not have been better. Blue skies, mild temps, washed track surface from rains on Wednesday, and light breeze resulted in great engine performance and decent stick. The new track surface really makes it easier on tires.

Khoi was there showing off his CCWs and other new additions to his ZO6 along with his really nice father-in-law. Unfortunately, they did not prevent him from getting the "blue flag" (the one that means there is a fast car you are blocking - or there is a race and you are not in it) whenever a blue ZO6 was anywhere near him. My favorite one was the blue flag on the checked flag cooldown lap at T7. I almost ran off the road I was laughing so hard. Mark in his 03 ZO6 was running consistent 1:19s and is really interested in the NASA TT option. He was a little bummed out when I told him his car was in TTS (headers, 315s, et. al.) and found out the lap times for the class. But to be honest he would do much better with "competition" and someone to run with. The track density was incredibly low (~25 cars in 3 groups). I think I convinced him to enter the NASA TT in May at Roebling.

Larry had a little less than 4000 miles on his Ford GT and he was there to see if he could "learn something". I am pretty sure he did. In his first session he was pretty easy on the car and mastered the art of the point by. I took him out in my ZO6 to show him the line, basic braking techniques and how to carry some speed in the corners - it was a gentle mid 1:20 demo to get him up to speed. A demo ride for him was eye opening. In his next session he was keeping up with crowd and getting a feel for the track. Jon took the GT out with him just before lunch to help him with the line some more and to take Larry's Mom and wife on some track laps. I think Jon, and all of Larry's family, was impressed after the experience. Naturally when Larry asked me if I could show him threshold braking in his GT I graciously accepted the offer to drive his car. It really did help his braking and smoothness when I showed how smooth inputs and assertive braking could trim seconds much better than massive applications of throttle. He was asking about the next competition school and the DE he could attend. I have him signing up with T1 on 2 Mar - he is definitely hooked. I do not know what class the GT is in NASA TT - but when some rich guy (that can drive) decides to do it - get ready for some Ford smackdown.

Tom and his mechanic were there in his Ford Mustang. I rode with Tom once to tune him up on the line at Roebling and Jake instructed his mechanic. They all seemed to have a great time and the car made it all the way to 3:00 PM before it jumped time (we think). Tom has the best attitude and the worst luck of any track guy I have ever met.

I have an 73 Vette big block engine swap, new calipers on Jakes car, the Forza Showdown to watch and a few other minor items to complete over the weekend.....

David Pozzi
03-02-2007, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the report. It's interesting to see how you helped others learn.
David

Mike Holleman
03-03-2007, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the post on Roebling road. Brought back memories. I crashed my TZ250 in the high speed sweeper that leads onto the front straight away. A real ugly highside when the engine seized. From the website it looks like good things are happening down there. I'm going to have to do a track day.
Thanks again.
Mike

Varkwso
03-04-2007, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the post on Roebling road. Brought back memories. I crashed my TZ250 in the high speed sweeper that leads onto the front straight away. A real ugly highside when the engine seized. From the website it looks like good things are happening down there. I'm going to have to do a track day.
Thanks again.
Mike

Roebling is a great track and with the new pavement even faster then it was before. Tires last a lot better down there now also.

T8 (the high speed sweeper) is the one place were I have seen the most totalled cars. Even then the driver has to make a series of mistakes to eat the pit wall...

barraza
03-07-2007, 02:37 PM
I also like hearing whats going on down there. That track is lots of fun. I ran my last race at Roebling in '86. Went off turn three backwards after sending the rods thru the block of my formula ford while leading the race. Convinced me I really couldn't afford racing at the time, of course now that I can afford it, I have too many responsibilities and not enough time. Only thing left of the motor was the header, intake and carb, even broke the transaxle. I still have a piece of rod hanging in the garage. Maybe I'll get involved again someday when my son gets a little older.

Varkwso
03-07-2007, 03:41 PM
I also like hearing whats going on down there. That track is lots of fun. I ran my last race at Roebling in '86. Went off turn three backwards after sending the rods thru the block of my formula ford while leading the race. Convinced me I really couldn't afford racing at the time, of course now that I can afford it, I have too many responsibilities and not enough time. Only thing left of the motor was the header, intake and carb, even broke the transaxle. I still have a piece of rod hanging in the garage. Maybe I'll get involved again someday when my son gets a little older.

My two sons are 15 and 18 - the 18 year old has been known to beat me and the 15 year old is getting his first track event at Roebling on Apr 6&7.

I have lots of parts in my garage dedicated to the "Gods of Speed"...

barraza
03-08-2007, 09:21 AM
My two sons are 15 and 18 - the 18 year old has been known to beat me and the 15 year old is getting his first track event at Roebling on Apr 6&7.

I have lots of parts in my garage dedicated to the "Gods of Speed"...
My son is only 4, so track days are a long way off. I am thinking of getting a couple of karts soon though.

I looked at the Roebling and SCCA websites, I don't even recognize most of those formula car classes. When I raced, we would have 15 to 20 formula fords in a race grouping. Looks like they have almost killed it. Not really a surprise, the writing was on the wall over 20 years ago. Thats what happens when the inmates run the asylum.

Varkwso
03-08-2007, 03:56 PM
My son is only 4, so track days are a long way off. I am thinking of getting a couple of karts soon though.

I looked at the Roebling and SCCA websites, I don't even recognize most of those formula car classes. When I raced, we would have 15 to 20 formula fords in a race grouping. Looks like they have almost killed it. Not really a surprise, the writing was on the wall over 20 years ago. Thats what happens when the inmates run the asylum.

SCCA makes it tough to play - one reason NASA has done so well.

There are still plenty of open wheel classes (driven by guys with too much money and not enough talent too often!) in SCCA. FF is still a strong class at regionals and nationals.

barraza
03-09-2007, 08:43 AM
SCCA makes it tough to play - one reason NASA has done so well.

There are still plenty of open wheel classes (driven by guys with too much money and not enough talent too often!) in SCCA. FF is still a strong class at regionals and nationals.
I'll get on my SCCA soapbox:
The proliferation of classes in lower ranks is a major contributer to the current non popularity of road racing in the US. The other killer is technology and the associated costs. The most sucessful classes are based on low (relatively) costs and good competition like SRF and spec miata, not science projects like production classes based on 60's bodies with nascar tech or sports racers with exotic engines. The newer open wheel fscca car has potential, but is now almost 50K, who at the entry level is going to buy it? I know I wouldn't have, hell a new DB-1 swift was less than 15k in the mid eighties and it torpedoed formula ford.
NASCAR can fill up a thousand local tracks every week with cheap, fast and safe cars while the SCCA worries about BS and stays at a standstill.
What they need is a class that is based on tube frame, moderate stock type hp(ls1?) using production or nascar type components, ie a rear engine late model stocker type of car that could be turned out by any number of builders across the country. Not a "high tech" vehicle that needs replacement parts air freighted from england. Actually, the spec racer ford would have fit the bill if it had more power, but I dont really have an interest in something that slow, if it was 5 to 10 seconds a lap quicker at roebling it would have my attention. As it is now, it costs as much as your vette and is lots slower, probably cheaper to maintain but couldnt be used except at the track.
Relatively cheap, lots of fun and pretty damn fast can co-exist, but not like SCCA does it now.