PDA

View Full Version : ? on FAST XFI and eDist on early chevy

Hoot
02-25-2007, 02:28 PM
Here's a letter I just wrote to FuelAirSpark (FAST). I figured maybe someone here might have some experience with this and be able to offer a solution....

Dear Sirs,

I'm trying to locate all the pieces necessary to run a coil-on-plug ignition system such as found on the LSX engines on a Gen-0 small block chevy engine (World Products Motown Lite Aluminum 427 stroker with Holley Stealth Ram EFI manifold).

I would like to use your FAST XFI and the eDist to fire multiple coils, but I'm not sure what else I need. I read that I need both a crank and cam position signal, like on your dual-sync distributor. However, I don't need the distributor since ignition timing is controlled by the XFI, correct? If I understand correctly, the eDist fires the coils without any other components needed.

MSD has a distributor plug (#8514) with a cam position signal output, but no crank signal. will this work or do I need the crank signal also? MSD also has a flying magnet crank trigger (#8610). In conjunction with the Distributor plug, would that supply the signals needed?

Sorry for all the MSD #'s, but I couldn't find what I was looking for in your catalog. If possible, I would prefer to get all the parts necessary from one source. I suppose I really just need a dual-sync distributor without the cap and terminals, similar to the MSD unit, and something like the LSX coils or Electromotive's 33800 DFU coils. Do you offer anything like that?

Any help you can give on putting together a complete package would be appreciated.

Thank you,

So whatdya think? Am I even on the right track with the MSD and Electromotive parts?

Thanks

parsonsj
02-25-2007, 03:17 PM
Hoot,
You can do exactly what you want with the eDIST and XFI. You will need a crank AND cam sensor to make them work. On a SBC, your best bet is to use the MSD part (for the cam sensor), and a crank trigger setup (see the For Sale section for one for sale for a Pontiac) for the crank sensor.

The eDIST takes in cam sensor input. The XFI requires both cam and crank sensor input (if you want sequential EFI). The cam signal can be split between them. From that, the XFI provides dwell to the eDIST and then the eDIST fires the coils in A-H order starting with the 3rd dwell pulse after the cam signal transition. It's up to you to wire the coils in the proper firing order.

I'd just use LS1 coil packs (or the more expensive MSD aftermarket versions).

That's a start. There is lots more ... but it isn't overwhelming.

jp

EFI69Cam
02-25-2007, 04:12 PM
I am using the edist with a accel gen 7 on a BBC. What I have come up with so far is that the MSD cam plug is not compatible with the edist, it is a 0-5 sine wave output. The edist and most of the ECUs look for a chopped 0-12v signal.
I am using a vortec distributor for the cam sensor and the factory crank trigger from a vortec 7.4l
The output from the accel dual sync is also compatible with the edist.
All of these sensors are also compatible with the Fast XFI.

parsonsj
02-25-2007, 04:25 PM
That's true: the eDIST and XFI expect 12V signals.

jp

andrewb70
02-26-2007, 11:23 AM
I have an eDist collecting dust. Make me an offer I can't refuse and it is yours!

Andrew