PDA

View Full Version : Sources for tubing

LowBuckX
02-23-2007, 11:28 PM
Gonna build a G-brace for the Nova. What type of tube will work and where is it available. I dont want big buck stuff but I want the brace to work also
I looked in Mcmaster carr but most of there stuff says not bendable.

parsonsj
02-24-2007, 05:58 AM
You can get nearly any tube you want at Dillsburg Aeroplane Works in Pennsylvania. They don't have a website, and they are a little odd (they usually fill your order in complete silence), but the fellow on the phone knows his stuff. You'll need to call and get a catalog.

Or go to Lefthander Chassis, Stock Car Products, Art Morrison, etc. They all sell tube.

As far as what size, it depends on where you're putting it, how long the tube is, what material you use (4130, DOM, aluminum), etc.

jp

shep
02-24-2007, 05:34 PM
http://www.metalsdepot.com/

http://www.onlinemetals.com/

I would think 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 .095 or .120 wall DOM or 4130 should work.

71dusterdan
02-24-2007, 06:07 PM
lowbuckx, where are you located? i work for a very large steel distributor, and can get lengths up to 6 ft ups'ed and up to 75 lbs.

72nova
02-25-2007, 04:44 AM
Metal supermarket is where I buy my tubing. They sell by the foot and will cut it to whatever length you want. I don't know how ther prices compare but I bought a 10' piece of 2x3 box tubing for $5/foot. Their website is metalsupermarket.com, to find locations.

71dusterdan
02-25-2007, 02:15 PM
72nova, you could have bought the whole stick for that money. check with some local fabshops, they buy in large quantity and get price breaks from real distributors. you can often get a piece of leftover a "drop" real reasonable, or else pay something more in line. we would love to get $50 dollars for 10 ft, but would rather sell lots of steel to you over time. I deliver to several metalsupermarkets, they focus on guys like you with small needs, and immediate needs and gang rape ya for it. look around a little and make friends with fab shops, they will usually pass on there discounts. if not same to you as lowbuck, i can ups 6 ft up to 75 lbs, good luck ,bro. Dan

parsonsj
02-25-2007, 03:23 PM
i work for a very large steel distributor, and can get lengths up to 6 ft ups'ed and up to 75 lbs.I get stuff from Dillsburg Aeroplane via UPS in 8' lengths. Their phone is (717) 432-4589. Just know what you want when you call. They aren't very soft and cuddly. :)

jp

Camaro Zach
02-25-2007, 06:47 PM
Don't buy tubing mail order. Look in your phone book for a local steel distributor. You will be able to purchase it full length for less than the cost of 8' And they will usually cut for free. Or maybe a fab shop as previously said. but be beware many markup their prices 2 or 3 times.

parsonsj
02-25-2007, 07:56 PM
The only comment I'll make about buying local is that I've always had trouble finding 4130, aluminum, and SS local. Mild steel, no problem, though if you want DOM it is sometimes harder.

jp

LowBuckX
02-25-2007, 09:03 PM
HEre are some Original Herb Adams peices that came on his tuner cars AKA Fire-am Notice how thin the mounting tab at the UCA cross shaft and that the tube is just smashed shut to mount to the firewall. LOL

I think anything I come up with for pipe will be stronger.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2007/02/d2b9_3-1.jpg

Silverback
02-27-2007, 12:05 AM
It might be useful to list location. I have no doubt that you can open a phone book in Tx or other parts of the country and find a decent distributor, while some of us in other parts of the country have to do some digging.

For example, here in MD (DC metro area) I’ve had decent luck finding stuff like hot rolled plate and sheet, but I haven’t found a good source for tube or cold rolled stock. I suspect that there are sources, but I haven’t found them yet. Usually, so far I’ve piggy backed my stuff onto a friend’s shop’s orders, but that proves to be a hassle for both of us and he doesn’t order that often or get that great a price anyway.

While I’m at it I’d love to find a good local source for weld els (pipe/weldable fittings…)

72nova
02-27-2007, 03:12 AM
71dusterdan, thanks for the advice on the fab shops. I'll try them out the next time or get in touch with you. thanks again.

parsonsj
02-27-2007, 04:42 AM
here in MD (DC metro area) I’ve had decent luck finding stuff like hot rolled plate and sheet, but I haven’t found a good source for tube or cold rolled stock.Mark, you're in luck. Dillsburg is about 90 minutes north of you, straight up I-270/US-15. They have everything: 4130, ss, DOM, electric-welded tube, bars, round tube, square tube, rect. tube, sheet (CR, 4130, aluminum, ss), and anything else you might need for fabrication.

jp

71dusterdan
02-27-2007, 04:14 PM
guys the steel company i work for is Liebovich steel& aluminum, we are a full distributor grey, and black ,and white metals, we can cut, shear burn , plasma cut, laser cut. we sell everything from full blown 12" thick plate, to tubes, bars, sheets, hot rolled, cold rolled etc, etc. we are not real heavy on tool steel but otherwise we have it. We are located in rockford, il with 50 trucks at that location, rolling as far south as interstate 80, and about 20 miles further south all of illinios north of there, into central wisconsin as far north as green bay, with another plant in green bay area serving northern wi.we also cover western iowa out of rockford and the rest of iowa out of our cedar rapids plant. we also have a plant in grand rapids michigan, i dont know how much they cover of michigan. if you are further south in illinios, we have a plant in peoria that reaches central illinios. i know this is winded, just thought it was time to help some of you guys find the steel you need, hope it helps, and you can always pm me for more help or if you want to get something ups'd. i only ask that you know what you want and not jack me off, if you have a price let me know, not that i want to beat somebody or sell you the farm, but i have to go through our salespeople for a price and they are busy. we ship in excess of 1million lbs a day on 50 trucks our salespeople are busy and i dont want to pull their strings. thank for your cooperation, and i am happy to help all of you. Dan

BlackGMC
02-27-2007, 04:38 PM
I get my steel from www.metalsupermarkets.com they do online quotes, just drill down threw there menus and send the quote in and they send you an email back in about an hour.

71dusterdan
02-27-2007, 06:03 PM
good luck with metal supermarkets, it is your money.

jason@gmachine
02-27-2007, 09:35 PM
here in southern cali we can get Mild, DOM, 4130 for really cheap and i have about 6 places i can call anytime and have it at the shop sometimes the same day, but i really dont like the mail order places. We have used them for some stuff and have never been pleased. Oh and there is one online mail order place that still owes us $176.

I second the idea of going to a local fab shop and seeing what they would do, im sure they have a few contacts.

Jason

71dusterdan
02-28-2007, 04:39 PM
well lowbuck called me this morning, i got him hooked up with one of our steel salesmen, i believe he is happy, i'm sure we pulled it, cut it and shipped today. he went with a thicker wall tube but appeared to be happy. i just wanted to share a source with you guys, seems a couple guys affililiated us as a mail order firm etc. I have no dog in this race, i could care less where any of you buy your steel or what you have to do to get it. my truck will still have 15 stops a day and 45k lbs, and my employer will still push 50 trucks and a million pounds with or without you. our salespeople do not care either way. but from experience and a stand point of insider knowledge, i do know it can be a pain in the ass. some distributors have minimum orders, some have big delivery charges, some cant schedule a timely delivery, and many have sales people with just enough education to be a pain in the ass. and some as metal supermarkets cater to small guys like us who suffer from dont know crap, they get a chunk of change for the convenience of dealing with small irregular quantities, from little guys like us. so that being said , i was just looking for a way to pass on a little info and savings to guys that appear to be my brothers at least in spirit and automotive interests. take it for what you like but again we dont care where, how , why, or how much, but if we can help you, and get it to you, bring it on. Dan

KWIKND
02-28-2007, 05:05 PM
Dan,

You guys do a great job at Liebovich, I order 1000# of whatever I need before 5pm and the driver is at the back door ringing the bell at 7 am the next morning! Only one better is Mcmaster. What do you do there at "leave a b!tch"?

Dan

71dusterdan
02-28-2007, 05:21 PM
kwiknd, i am one of those dopes at your back door at 7am,and absolutely hate the guys that wait until 5 to order, so long as you order before then i love ya. i used to float, meaning i was the sub when your driver was on vacation or otherwise off, so i probably know your shop at least. now i cover the i88 coridor from rock falls to iowa and western iowa. glad to meet ya and thanks for the plug. what shop are you in? who is your driver if mcmaster is better it means i need to kick your drivers behind in. why dont you share a bad experience with a bad steel company to help put this thread into perspective. oh and before i go, thanks for your order, i appreciate the indirect way in which you insure my paycheck. Dan

KWIKND
02-28-2007, 05:47 PM
Dan
We are in Lombard, we work on loading docks and high speed doors like the ones you guys have at the warehouse (Rytec). Only reason I mention McMaster is I can call in something at 7am and it is messengered to the shop at 11 am usually for $4.00.
My other steel service center experiences are with a local guy that buys from Liebovich. He is about 1 mile from our location, won't deliver, higher price and I am only allowed pick up after 8:30 am.

We do work at EMJ, so anything I need for them gets pulled and I pick it up off the conveyor.

Caslte Metals is a joke, called them for some shim stock and the sales knucklehead tried to get $36,000 for it, you guys were $6000.

I have worked at most of them in a previous life when I serviced and installed overhead cranes. EMJ and Liebovich are both top notch.

By the way, you guys have alot more control over your own paycheck than I do! It's all in the service. Keep up the good work.

Dan

LowBuckX
02-28-2007, 07:30 PM
Thanks dave. Everything went real good with your dude up there.

I got 18 feet of 1" .109 wall DOM. $55 to my door.
MetalDepot wanted $97 before shipping.

Online metals wated $82 before shipping.. You guys do what you want but even if I did have to wait a week the price is worth the wait.

boodlefoof
03-01-2007, 12:31 PM
www.colemanracing.com

www.lefthanderchassis.com

Both are pretty inexpensive mail-order. I've purchased locally here in Northern VA and the cheapest I can find is still more expensive than mail order.

LowBuckX
03-06-2007, 12:14 AM
Got my DOM today. (Monday) Thanks dan Your boy Jeff was a big help and got me hooked up

http://www.liebovichsteel.com/