PDA

View Full Version : hotchkis swaybars

cmthomp2
02-23-2007, 12:37 PM
I recently bought the hotchkis rear swaybar for my 1968 Nova. I have heard several people say that many people remove it because it causes the car to oversteer really bad. This true?...any input would be appreciated thanks fellas

zbugger
02-23-2007, 01:22 PM
It depends on how wide your rear tires are in relation to the suspension that's on the car and the width of the front tires. For the most part, it is recommended to not install it. Although there's quite a few people that don't drive the car hard enough to get to the point where they'll feel the difference.

cmthomp2
02-23-2007, 02:20 PM
hey thanks buddy

CarlC
02-23-2007, 05:38 PM
The way the Hotchkis bar mounts, its size, and end link length = low effective rate.

cmthomp2
02-23-2007, 05:49 PM
so u basically don't feel it?

David Pozzi
02-23-2007, 06:45 PM
I'd say you need it because it's part of the whole Hotchkis system, unless your combo is something strange.
If you go without one, you would normally have extra understeer which is not all that noticeable to some drivers, but limiting to handling.

As Carl says, the effect of a rear bar is not huge, more like 100 lbs, but if Hotchkis put it in their package, it's needed for the right balance.
David

69Nova
02-23-2007, 07:12 PM
I'm going to put mine on.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

I have the complete TVS system except the front bar. Also I'm probly going to trim the front coils a little. But still right now my tires are my limiting factor.

LS6 Tommy
02-23-2007, 07:17 PM
I'd say you need it because it's part of the whole Hotchkis system, unless your combo is something strange.
If you go without one, you would normally have extra understeer which is not all that noticeable to some drivers, but limiting to handling.

As Carl says, the effect of a rear bar is not huge, more like 100 lbs, but if Hotchkis put it in their package, it's needed for the right balance.
David

I'm not so sure Hotchkiss puts that much thought into his "specific" packages. When I was kicking around suspension ideas I contacted him. He didn't even want to bother trying to sell me anything for my 80 Malibu that's getting a 454. The response was "Nope. Got nuthin' for ya. Don't make anything for that combo. Can't help ya". Doug @ GW set me right up, no problem. He does NOT recommend a rear sway bar for his Negative Roll systems specifically because it induces oversteer, especially with a Big Block Chevy like I have. If your doing the B-body spindle/12" brake swap on a 78-87 A/G body, I understand the Hotchkiss' stuff is basically the same setup. Stay away from the rear bar. BTW, Hotchkiss also seems to like bars that are WAY bigger in diameter than the competition. Obviously his spring rates may be different.

Tommy