PDA

View Full Version : Suspension design and theory

maro67
02-23-2007, 09:01 AM
Hello, I am a mechanical engieer. I have finally started work on my PT project, a 67 camaro. I am planning a tubular spaceframe with double a-arm fron and rear suspension. I will be using a c5 transaxle and possibly some other c5 components (i.e. brakes, uprights, steering rack, etc...)

I have the body up on a rotissiere for some minor rework. Hopefully sooner than later the body will be on a jig/table and the floor/firewall cut out. I have spent some time designing the chassis using Pro Engineer solid modeling software. I have performed some basic FEA analysis of the layout I plan to use. Keep in mind at this point its pretty much all basic geometry, nothing is really final yet.

I have been messing around with suspension geometry software. Particularly Performance Trends and Mitchell Software suspension analyzers. I am familliar with suspension theory and terminology. I understand the basic prinicples of suspension design. I plan to use stock c5 suspension geometry ass a base line or starting point and modify it to suite my application (i.e. differences in track width, wheelbase, rims and tire sizes, etc...).

Now here is the part I need some help with. I have been doing pretty well working with the demo version of the perf trends software, understanding the interface and getting the results I want. However I am not quite sure how to determine the input parameters for analysis. By this I mean the amount of dive/sqaut and amount of steering angle to input into the software.

Keep in mind I am basically working from scratch with no prior configuration of the camaro to do a comparison to. I more or less know what I want the limits for suspension travel and steering angle to be. Just not completely sure about what values I should be using to analyze the suspension/steering motion.

I live in NJ and the weather is still a bit cold. But hopefully things will start to warm up a bit. Once the weather breaks I will return to the garage and resume work on the camaro. Once I get the floor out and have the body set on a jig I will be able to really start mocking things up. In the mean time any help or advice you guys could provide for me would be greatly apprecciated.