PDA

View Full Version : Someone give me a quick lesson on boost & pressure connections ... See inside ...

Tim_in_NC
02-22-2007, 12:04 PM
Ok guys ...

Someone please give me a few tips on boost & pressure connections ...

Here are the components ...

- Autometer Mechanical Boost Gauge
- Procharger Race Bypass
- Blow through Carb Hat with hole taped for connection (used with a centrifugal)
- Fuel Pressure Regulator (if necessary)
- MSD 6BTM

I'm asking for help with how these all tie in with one another via connections, workings, etc...

What's the best way ...

Let me know if more info is needed ...

Thanks ...

Tim_in_NC
02-22-2007, 12:19 PM
What I'm looking for is something along these lines ...

Mechanical Boost gauge connects to the carb hat ...

The bypass connects to the intake or carb hat ... etc ...

I'm not 100% sure of these things ...

Turbo Hen
02-22-2007, 04:16 PM
Your boost guage will connect to the carb hat OR if you have a vacuum/boost guage it connects to the intake manifold.

You WILL need a fuel pressure regulator for a CARB'd application that rises 1:1 with boost. I personally use the Aeromotive #13202 regulator with my Magnafuel 500 pump.....another similar fuel system is the Aeromotive #13201 regulator with the Aeromotive A1000 fuel pump. Both these systems will require a fuel RETURN line back to the tank/sump

Your race bypass (or BOV - blow off valve) will need a vacuum source - intake manifold preferrably.

For a LOT of info on Blow-through setups, check out http://www.turbomustangs.com/smf/ in the "blow through" section. Do a search, and you will find your answers.

-Carm

camcojb
02-22-2007, 04:38 PM
boost gauge to intake fitting under the carb. Should be reading vacuum and boost. In the hat will only read boost, often when you aren't really in boost at all. Remember, what matters is what the engine is seeing, and that's below the carb.

Fitting for the hat goes to the pressure regulator. In this case the regulator needs to match what the carb is seeing, hence being hooked up to the hat.

Boost bypass also goes to the intake under the carb. Needs vacuum to open, and closes under boost.

Jody

Tim_in_NC
02-22-2007, 05:40 PM
Great guys ...

Thanks a ton ... I'm getting close to finally starting this thing ...

TIM

Y-TRY
02-22-2007, 11:04 PM
Man, I went through all this with my build. Here's how I did it:

I used one port from the carb baseplate that reads MANIFOLD vaccum and made a vaccum "log" that feeds the boost gauge, MSD BTM, BOV and wastegates. All of these sources need actual manifold pressure.

The port in the hat regulates pressure in the bowls, so the connection from the throttle blades on the carb, and the fuel pressure regulator feed out of the hat only. Nothing else needs to reference pressure before the throttle blades in the system.

I posted a test I did on all this and was able to read that there is 3+lbs of boost in the hat even when the manifold pressure is negative. This was true even at idle. ( I ran a boost gauge to the hat AND one at the manifold and recorded the difference)

Good luck.

camcojb
02-23-2007, 06:40 AM
The port in the hat regulates pressure in the bowls, so the connection from the throttle blades on the carb, and the fuel pressure regulator feed out of the hat only. Nothing else needs to reference pressure before the throttle blades in the system.

I posted a test I did on all this and was able to read that there is 3+lbs of boost in the hat even when the manifold pressure is negative. This was true even at idle. ( I ran a boost gauge to the hat AND one at the manifold and recorded the difference)

Good luck.

Yep, exactly. :cheers:

Jody