PDA

View Full Version : Storage solution Bay Area

Damn True
02-20-2007, 11:07 AM
Hey ya'all.

We are remodeling the house (explains the lack of progress on my car) and I need to get the Camaro out of the garage for a while. Anyone have any ideas or recomendations on places to store this thing for about 6-9mos? I may be able to reduce that amount of time depending upon when the garage will have it's roof and be secure.

Thanks,
True

zbugger
03-01-2007, 12:43 PM
Have you tried any of the storage facilities in the area? You can easily fit a car in there, but you have to shop around a bit for cost. I think there's a guy in San Carlos that has a classic car storage place. I don't remember.

Spitfire44
03-02-2007, 10:38 AM
I just finished a remodel. The Camaro was stored in a 10'x20' enclosure for 9 months in the backyard. Bought the enclosure at Kragens for like $150 (frame and tarps). I bought some corkscrew type anchors from OSH to help anchor it to the ground. I also ended up doing some cross bracing at the front and rear with rope to keep it secure during high winds.

I was happy with the way it protected the car. Car is a garage kept car so I wanted it to remain in nice condition. Pulled the car out, gave it a good wash, and it looked like it did when it went in.

I've also seen this guy advertise on craigslist. He advertises two location in the Bay Area. http://www.storeinside.com/

David Pozzi
03-03-2007, 08:47 PM
The SCCA has a newspaper called "The Wheel", also there is "North American Pylon" http://www.napylon.com/

Both have classified ads for storage space. Unfortunately I don't have a current issue in the house due to a recient cleanup. If I get one soon, I'll look over the ads for you and post them.
David

Damn True
03-03-2007, 10:56 PM
The SCCA has a newspaper called "The Wheel", also there is "North American Pylon" http://www.napylon.com/

Both have classified ads for storage space. Unfortunately I don't have a current issue in the house due to a recient cleanup. If I get one soon, I'll look over the ads for you and post them.
David

Are either of those available on news stands or just via membership?

David Pozzi
03-04-2007, 08:21 PM
Roger Krause may have some extra issues of the wheel in his tire store in Castro Valley, he's a major advertizer. He certainly will have one for you to look at in the store. It's a monthly newspaper for the SCCA members, so any SCCA member would have one.

NA Pylon, you might contact them and see if they will send you a free sample issue or two. Mention my name to the Kelleys who publish it, that may help. I've autocrossed with them long ago. They actually used to publish the WHEEL before it was taken in-house by the club to save money.
David

Damn True
03-04-2007, 10:57 PM
Thanks David. I ordered the freebie copies of "The Wheel" from NA-Pylon today. Got a nice email reply from them. Pat said there is an auto-x at the Oakland Arena on the 11th...in case you & Mary are interested.

I'll be wine tasting and having dinner at the French Laundry in Napa that day though.

Damn True
05-31-2007, 09:54 AM
Ok, this is getting a bit critical. The public storage type places want nothing to do with storing a car. They have insurance regs regarding flamamble liquids. Strange part is that the car does not have an engine, trans or fuel tank but they are just following their rules. Even if they don't make sense. Anyway, I contacted Bill's Auto Storage in San Carlos. He is full. He refered me to another guy named DiMarco who is "checking".

Construction will be starting in a couple of weeks. I will need about 9mos of storage. Can anyone else offer help here?

Lowend
06-02-2007, 01:23 PM
I know that Paul at Goodies was looking to rent out some space in the old Dyno West facility to people wanting to store cars. I'm not sure if he already filled the spaces or not but shoot him an email at [email protected]

Damn True
06-02-2007, 04:12 PM
Thanks dude, I shot him an email.

zbugger
06-02-2007, 05:40 PM
...The public storage type places want nothing to do with storing a car. They have insurance regs regarding flamamble liquids. Strange part is that the car does not have an engine, trans or fuel tank but they are just following their rules. Even if they don't make sense....

That's funny. I've seen plenty of cars with no motor or gas tank, basically shells, in storage. Most of the time the guys want to see the car first though. Odd.....

Lowend
06-09-2007, 12:13 PM
So what happened?

Damn True
06-09-2007, 08:00 PM
Never heard back from Paul.

I'm in with Mr. DiMarco in San Carlos. Now I just gotta find a way to get the car up there.

Damn True
07-25-2007, 01:09 PM
Problem solved. The car is safely ensconsed in Dennis DiMarco's storage facility in San Carlos.

House demo started last week.