PDA

View Full Version : Cal Trac or Slide a link

Rick Giles
02-18-2007, 06:53 PM
Which is a better traction device Cal Trac bars or Competition Engineering Slide A Link? I have a 67 Camaro with a big block, Tremec 5 spd. and 3:73 gears on BFG KDW street tires and having a terrible time with wheel hop in 1st and 2nd gear. The rear squats alot and goes but the wheel hop is unbearable. Also running DSE 2" drop leafs in the back and Bilstein shocks.

Roadrage David
02-18-2007, 10:05 PM
do you have pictures of the 2 inch drop with the dse leafs....i got slde a link on the my 68 bird havend tested the car yet..

c4racer
02-19-2007, 11:03 PM
Ha - and DSE "claims" you won't need traction bars with their shocks. Maybe not counting on BBC torque?

I am running the cal-trac bars with stock mono leafs. Zero wheelhop, just plenty of spin from the 6 year old hard as a rock rubber... I was hoping to do away with them when I upgrade the springs to something stouter. I was considering the DSE 2" drop, which I think will net me aprox the same ride height I have now.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Rick Giles
03-05-2007, 07:06 PM
Just put the Competition Engineering Slide a link bars on the ole 67 and man what a difference! Absolutely no wheel hop! And to add to that I was having trouble with missed shifts going from 2nd to 3rd even at around 5500 rpm, thinking maybe I had a bad transmission. I believe it was all due to the loose suspension.

6'9"Witha69
03-06-2007, 11:00 AM
Slide-A-Links work well to control wheel hop. They even work when loosened up for street use. They also need to be looser for cornering abilities otherwise they will oversteer like crazy. Tried taking a curvy road after leaving Irwindale once and didn't take out the preload on the bars. man that was almost really bad.

Rick Giles
03-07-2007, 05:55 PM
I'm running a 1/4" air gap with the Slide a link and it did seem like it wanted to oversteer more. How much gap are you running?

MonzaRacer
03-07-2007, 06:52 PM
My buddy bought slide a links and the dang things never worked right, the Cal tracs work good and dont bind the rear when you burn corners.
My buddy always had bind issues with the slide a link, good idea but needs some work from what we saw.
Good luck
Lee

67cougnut
03-07-2007, 07:42 PM
cal-tracs!!:usa:

6'9"Witha69
03-07-2007, 10:32 PM
I'm running a 1/4" air gap with the Slide a link and it did seem like it wanted to oversteer more. How much gap are you running?3/8"-1/2". I was 1/8"-1/4" and with the bind, just backed em out. Didn't bother trying to do it in incriments or anything.