PDA

View Full Version : Track day helmet needed. Where to order?

Larry Callahan
02-17-2007, 08:01 AM
Has anyone bought a helmet off the internet. How it fit makes me worry about ordering one but I bet I can save a lot of money.

I need one for the upcoming Willow Springs track day in 2-3 weeks.

vintageracer
02-17-2007, 08:11 AM
Larry,

A helmet is an investment in safety and comfort. Go buy one locally that you can try on and fit properly to your nugget. With that grill you have, you will need professional help!

Buy the latest Snell ratinig 2005 and go ahead and get a full face helmet. Helmet fit and comfort varies widely depending upon the manufacturer and changes with style. My latest helmet is a Simpson however when I bought the helmet before that one, Simpson helmets styles did not fit me at all and I purchased a Bell. Styles, comfort, safety and fitment change with upgrades.

BUY LOCALLY from a professional and pay the ticket!

Larry Callahan
02-17-2007, 08:14 AM
Funny, after I made the post above I did some reading up and decided I'll drive to the valley and get a good helmet. Like they say, got a $10 head get a $10 helmet.

Larry Callahan
02-17-2007, 08:15 AM
Are auto helmets different from motorcycle helmets?

Mike Holleman
02-17-2007, 09:49 AM
Larry, You could get by with a motorcycle helmet in a car, but I wouldn't recommend the reverse. The main difference is the field of vision. If you already have a bike helmet use it for track day. If you are buying go with an auto helmet that feels right and is up to date with snell.
Mike

vintageracer
02-17-2007, 11:29 AM
The rating system is different. Motorcycle helmets use DOT ratings. Racing helmets use the Snell Rating. Go to the Snell Foundation website for information. There was also a great article in Grassroots Motorsports within the last 2 years about helmets. Research their website.

73ta
02-17-2007, 03:17 PM
www.helmetcity.com (http://www.helmetcity.com)

Here is the one I bought:
http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/PROD/cl15graphics/cl15dragonmc2

Larry Callahan
02-17-2007, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the help and links guys. I went and tried on some motorcycle helmets. I can't find any auto helmets near me. It looks like the fire retardent fabric is the big difference. It looks like most track day events allow a motorcycle helmet and I think that's what I will get. I don't have a bike at the moment but hope it's not long before I get one. It's been too many years since I got rid of my last one.

Damn True
02-17-2007, 05:54 PM
You always want to buy something like that from a local outlet. Having someone that can help you get the absolute right fit and that will be available to support the product after purchase is huge. Good luck getting service after the sale if you buy over the net few online distributors will give the kind of service we expect, and woe to the man who buys something online then goes to a local store for service or warentee help.

StRacerDuke
02-17-2007, 06:08 PM
I have a Simpson open face that I got from summit and a KBC (I think, it's still in CA) full face motorcycle helmet. The open face is good for track days and a little more comfortable for your field of vision but the full face Snell rated is the only way to go if you are going to be really pushing your limits. I have heard some organizations in CA that rent track time won't allow motorcycle helmets so you may want to check that out too.

For full face racing helmets I loved the Bell that they had at Russel Racing School at Sears Point. Very comfortable fit for me personaly but I haven't used any other helmets though.

If you're looking for a Motorcycle helmet check your PM. I have a buddy in Santa Rosa that can probably get you something at cost.

mpozzi
02-17-2007, 07:17 PM
Hey Larry,

This item of apparel is like a pair of shoes . . . you have to try the helmet on and wear it for several minutes. Simpson's are long and narrow whereas Bell helmets are more round in shape. Personally, I like the Bell M2 (Snell 2000) and after putting on several different styles of both Simpson and Bell, chose this one.

For track days, you'll be wearing the helmet for at least 20+ minutes so it must be comfortable. There is minor tweaking to the inner foam panels that will help make it "personal" for fit.

An open-face helmet will allow better visibility and is less claustrophobic. However, a full-face helmet is best and there are several styles that have wide eye openings. If you wear glasses, even sunglasses, try the helmet on and then add the glasses. If you're one of the lucky ones with 20-20 vision and still want protection from the sun, buy a smoke-colored face shield. I use this and never have glare or sun problems.

I bought my helmet from Wine Country Motorsports in Sonoma (Infineon Raceway). If you know your size, give them a call and see what they have available. They fit lots of different heads and may be able to assist you over the phone.

Happy tracking,
Mary Pozzi

Steven
02-17-2007, 08:52 PM
Larry
Willow Springs requires a full face helment if the car does not have an air bag system. They also will not allow motorcycle helmets on the course. M/C helmets are not rated for fire, but do not let that scare you off.

sinned
02-17-2007, 10:01 PM
Stay away from M00 or even M05 helmets. While they will protect you just fine and the only real difference is the fire retardant factor; most AS sanctioning bodies won't accept "M" rated helmets as a form of head protection. Jegs has a SA05 helmet for ~200.00.

David Pozzi
02-17-2007, 10:34 PM
While open track and others do not require a balaclava, (headsock) SCCA and some others DO require it and a DOUBLE LAYER balaclava if you have facial hair! This makes a difference in size choice of helmet in some cases. Be sure to try on your helmet with balaclava if you will be using one in the car. I only use one when racing the Lola, as vintage rules require it.

There is a lighter version of helmet which will reduce neck fatigue, it's the Kevlar/beedall type instead of regular Fiberglass. I use that type because the Lola pulls a lot of G's :)

Helmets for car use have Nomex liners and a lot of padding has been added to the front of the face area. They are also recomending a tighter fit these days. I used to put the helmet on, then shake my head left and right and if it didn't move on my head it was OK. Now they like it even tighter, but you can get a nasty headache wearing it on a hot day. I even got a bruise on my forehead when my balaclava bunched up a bit in one spot...

Helmets are also getting bulkier and over the years I've had to reduce my helmet pad height on the roll bar and remove seat padding to get me to sit lower in the car for roll bar height clearance issues. See the pic below, my helmet is supposed to be 2" below the top of the roll bar, and in an open car the officials can see if you are too high all around the track, so no hiding it!

Charley Lillard
02-18-2007, 09:46 AM
Buy a Snell 2005 full face helmet and find a store to try them on until you find one that fits. Having a helmet that doesn't fit right is distracting and you don't need any distractions. I tried on alot of helmets before finding one I liked so I can't imagine buying one over the internet and having the first one you order fit. Yes a full face helmet is more restrictive but you will get used to it. Kinda like driving with seatbelts, you get so used to it it feels wierd without it.

Larry Callahan
02-18-2007, 12:37 PM
Thanks again guys. I went and tried on about a dozen helmets at 4 places today. The one I like the most and fit the best was a Bell Apex. I went with the mind set to not look at the prices. Get what had a Snell 2005 rating and was the most comfortable and light weight.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Lightweight Kevlar composite shell.
Tool-less, no hassle flip-down shield.
NutraFog® anti-fog, anti-scratch and UV protected shield.
Adjustable flow-through ventilation system for cooling and comfort.
Adjustable chinvent to aid in cooling and shield defogging.
Removable and washable, anti-bacterial/anti-microbial interior comfort liner.
Aerodynamic design for exceptionally stable and low wind noise
Padded chin strap with Double D-Ring closure and strap keeper
Additonal shields available.
Five Year Warranty
Meets or exceeds Snell M2005 and DOT Standards
Your price: $189.95

vintageracer
02-18-2007, 03:39 PM
This bucket will provide a definite improvement to your looks!

sinned
02-18-2007, 04:46 PM
Meets or exceeds Snell M2005 and DOT Standards
Of all you posted this is the only important part and won't work for your needs Larry. Inevitably you will be on a track where they check Snell ratings and this positively without a doubt will NOT be accepted. It MUST have an SA rating of at least 2000 to qualify. M does not qualify for track use.

83hurstguy
02-18-2007, 05:10 PM
Like sinned just said, that's an M rated helmet. You need an SA2000 or SA2005 helmet for pretty much all track useage. They probably will not let you run with that helmet.

I just bought a Bell M2 a few weeks ago (SA05) and like it a lot. Bought it from a friend, it was 8 months old with a couple auto-x sessions on it. Best part was that he sold it to me for $200 (new price is like $360). Not a scratch on it, even smells like new inside :)

If you want a budget starter helmet, the G-force units are not too bad, and you can find them for $250 shipped on Ebay. My roomate has one, and I have used it several times. Just make sure you are buying an SA2005 helmet.

I knew as soon as I saw the price on that helmet you posted that it was an M rated helmet... SA helmets are pretty much always over $200... to get into the nice light ones, you really gotta open the wallet.

Larry Callahan
02-18-2007, 07:14 PM
I didn't pay for it yet. I wanted to sleep on it for a day. So far I have been on 3 or 4 tracks and so far all only required a Snell 2000. For as often as I go and until my Camaro is done I think I can get by with an M. I will look more online at the SA 2005 before hand over the cash. I just wish I could try it on first.

Larry Callahan
02-18-2007, 07:41 PM
Mabe I should just order this one from Jegs? I would assume I could exchange it if it doesn't fit?

Impact Racing Super Sport

Features Include:

Lightweight hand-laminated aerospace composite shell
Wide Eyeport design for a panoramic view
Interchangeable cheekpads for a custom fit
Slick aero design for stock car or open wheel
Mounting platform for head and neck restraints
Adjustable forehead vents - both cools and defogs
Chinbar slots allow both fresh air and exhaled air to enter and exit the helmet directly
Chinbar vents allow fresh air intake and prevents fogging of the shield
Gray Matter™ liner. Impacts intelligent single-piece variable density liner, upholstered with a lightweight fire resistant fabric
Fire resistant Kevlar chinstrap with locking dual D-ring design
.125'' Clear shield standard with 3 position detent (Smoke and Dark Smoke available seperately)
Tear-off posts and metal shield pivot hardware
Snell SA2005 & SFI/FIA approved
Proudly made in the USA

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product2_10001_10002_759784_-1

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2007/02/534sssilver-1.jpg

JEFFTATE
02-19-2007, 05:20 AM
Thanks Larry ! I'm in the market for a helmet also. This thread has been helpful. I'm gonna have a look at the Summit store just south of Atlanta soon.

83hurstguy
02-19-2007, 09:34 AM
That Impact helmet should be a nice piece. I've seen a few people use them and like them.

You should be able to measure your head and approximate what size helmet you'll fit in. There's a helmet sizing chart on that Jeg's page that you linked to. It normally comes pretty close.

I have heard tracks say "snell approved", implicitly meaning an SA helmet. I know even when I have been out autocrossing they check for an SA helmet if it is being run under SCCA rules...

Just don't try one of these on... it makes you not wanna go back to your $300 helmet, lol...
http://www.winecountrymotorsports.com/helmets/hjc/hx10.html

Stu Seitz
03-07-2007, 11:08 PM
Mabe I should just order this one from Jegs? I would assume I could exchange it if it doesn't fit?

Impact Racing Super Sport

Features Include:

Lightweight hand-laminated aerospace composite shell
Wide Eyeport design for a panoramic view
Interchangeable cheekpads for a custom fit
Slick aero design for stock car or open wheel
Mounting platform for head and neck restraints
Adjustable forehead vents - both cools and defogs
Chinbar slots allow both fresh air and exhaled air to enter and exit the helmet directly
Chinbar vents allow fresh air intake and prevents fogging of the shield
Gray Matter™ liner. Impacts intelligent single-piece variable density liner, upholstered with a lightweight fire resistant fabric
Fire resistant Kevlar chinstrap with locking dual D-ring design
.125'' Clear shield standard with 3 position detent (Smoke and Dark Smoke available seperately)
Tear-off posts and metal shield pivot hardware
Snell SA2005 & SFI/FIA approved
Proudly made in the USA

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product2_10001_10002_759784_-1

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2007/02/534sssilver-1.jpg

This is the helmet I bought.

http://www.araiamericas.com/helmet_details_auto.asp?model=GP5W

The company has won more awards then I can count. I would be a little weary about a company like Impact, who are relatively new. While it may be a gross generalization, I believe that, you get what you pay for. With regards to the most important thing that you can buy for racing; I bought the best thing I could afford; Which isn’t really true because I also bought a Hans device so I had to put it on a credit card, but I digress.

Damn True
03-08-2007, 08:27 AM
You realize that "Impact!" is owned by Bill Simpson don't you? As in "Simpson Racing Products". A company that he sold years ago. If anyone know's what they are doing in terms of producing quality personal protective equipment, Bill does.

David Pozzi
03-08-2007, 08:52 AM
Simpson/Impact knows safety, I think their liner is the CarbonX which is superior to Nomex. I usually wind up with a Bell helmet, they just fit me better.
David

Stu Seitz
03-08-2007, 09:05 AM
You realize that "Impact!" is owned by Bill Simpson don't you? As in "Simpson Racing Products". A company that he sold years ago. If anyone know's what they are doing in terms of producing quality personal protective equipment, Bill does.

Yes, I know, and I do not have any real tech on whether or not Impact helmets are just as good, if not better then others, but you bring up a very good point. Being that Impact is owned by Bill Simpson, I would assume that he would want to distinguish he new company from his old one, In which case they probably have a different business plan and different target market. Based on there prices it seems the target market would be someone just starting off, or someone who is on a limited budget. While I’m not trying to offend anyone, it just makes think twice about someone’s commonsense, when they gladly plop down 5000 dollars for a supercharger, but they end up not wanting to spend much more then 150 on a helmet.

David Pozzi
03-08-2007, 08:34 PM
The Snell foundation tests and sets standards.
http://www.smf.org/

I don't know that you can always equate expense with improved safety.

My Bell cost over $600. I opted for Kevlar to reduce weight which raised the cost.
David

Here's a good quote on helmet classifications.
"What are the differences between the SA, M and K standards?
The SA standard was designed for competitive auto racing while M standard was for motorcycling and other motorsports. The K standard was released to accommodate helmets used in karting. There are three major differences between them:

1. The SA standard requires flammability test while the M and K standards do not.
2. The SA and K standards allow for a narrower visual field than M standard (Some SA and K certified helmets may not be street legal).
3. The SA and K standards include a rollbar multi impact test while M standard does not."