PDA

View Full Version : Fuel fittings for EFI

dannyho
02-15-2007, 06:49 PM
I was just wondering how the generic fittings (summit, jegs) stack up to something like russell or earl's. Because I started to figure out how quickly these things add up and it looks like I can save over 150 bucks by going summit brand rather than russell. I mean, either way I'd check every one for defects and deburr it or whatnot, but what do you guys think?

also it seems to me that high quality braided lines and all this are overrated. sure they look nice, but OEMs have no problem with their little slip fit rubber tubes, and its not like the fuel pressure is that different. I personally don't plan on going over 60psi, if that

Samckitt
02-16-2007, 02:00 AM
I have some summit AN fittings & they seem as good as the other stuff. In fact they may be the same stuff. I bought an adjustable proportioning valve that was summit brand, & removed the summit sticker & under it was a Wilwood logo. So the Summit fittings may be the same way.

DeltaT
02-17-2007, 04:56 PM
Yeah, Summit almost always seems to spec from its current suppliers. I haven't tried their fittings, but I have seen some cheesy fittings and hose at local speed shops.

My take on expensive hose is this: Use it and the same brand premium braided line for any stuff that could kill you or the car if it failed. For me, that's fuel line, brake flex lines and power steering hose & fittings (on the pressure side). Of course nitrous line as well. You can start cutting corners after that.

I'm sensitive to fuel leaks and the potential for fire as I almost lost my hot rod once and a custom motorcycle once to fuel line or fitting leaks.

Buying cheap hose or fittings for those kinds of applications on a quality, expensive project seems crazy. And forget almost all the "braided sleeve" and faux fittings out there. Anyone who knows good quality plumbing can spot that stuff about 20 feet away, and I've never seen an install that used it look good up close.

Just my .02!

Jim

My Site: http://home.mindspring.com/~jim_fisk/id1.html

Doug F
02-17-2007, 08:38 PM
I'd try NOT to use rubber braided line. Preferably teflon braided line which is not corrupted with fuel like rubber can be.

dannyho
02-18-2007, 01:12 PM
I was looking at the russell pro-classic line. I definately like the look of a black line as opposed to stainless. I figure that line should be good, it'ss made for fuel lines and russell's been making stuff for a while.