PDA

View Full Version : Timing Set Questions

1982ccz-28
02-13-2007, 04:20 PM
I am researching my next project, a 400 chevy, and I am going with the Comp Cams new Thumper Series Retro Fit roller camhafts, the Mutha Thumper Cam. I am going with Comp Cams retro fit hydraulic roller lifters, 1.5 stainless roller rockers, Beehive springs with this cam. My question is this, do I have to use a special timing set or can I use my double roller set? I understand that I have to use a thrust washer to protect the block and a cam button to keep cam walk in check, but I am not sure of which timing set to use, is there a difference? I see sets out there for use on motors that are using retro fit roller cams and are considerably more expensive. Any help would be appreciated. :help:

eville
02-13-2007, 04:33 PM
Not to rain on your parade, but have you read this thread over at team chevelle about the thumpr?
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153060

1982ccz-28
02-14-2007, 05:11 PM
Very interesting reading that's for sure. Still, after talking to my engine building friend, he says that with the other parts this engine has, compression ratio, etc, he likes this one better than some of the others due to the longer duration, tight lsa, and the street manners for 2400-2500 stall converters such as mine. As for the logo, well, that doesn't mean anything to me and I won't put down another persons choice for a cam or slam a company for trying to fill a need. JMO, which each and everyone is entitled to, that's for sure. Doesn't change my mind about whether to use one or not. Thanks for putting the link in for me to read and laugh at all the comments being made both good and bad. Even still, this doesn't answer my original question for this thread. Thanks any how..

Carver67
02-14-2007, 07:00 PM
I'm using a Cloye's hex adjust for 55-85 sbc on my 383 with no aditional parts other than the thrust washer and cam button you mentioned in your original post. No additional machining was necessary and all works fine together. I'm also using a Comp retro roller, magnum roller lifters etc.
Good luck with your project.
-Mike

1982ccz-28
02-15-2007, 03:32 PM
Thank you very much and I guess it's safe to say that I just need to mock everything up and check clearances.. Thanks again..

jpdeuce
02-16-2007, 08:07 PM
Standard timing sets will work fine. Do not forget to set camshaft endplay! You have to have it right on the roller cams since there is no lobe angle to hold the cam in.