PDA

View Full Version : afco ball joint?

justforfun
02-11-2007, 07:00 PM
I need to replace my lower ball joint and just saw these afco low friction ball joints.

Anyone know anything about these?
durable for street use?

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product2_10001_10002_763937_-1

MickMc
02-11-2007, 09:52 PM
I saw them at SEMA, I was impressed. I am going to buy a set very soon. Chevelle with ATS and tubular uppers and lowers and coilovers, thanks in advance, ATS.

Mick

Carver67
02-11-2007, 10:09 PM
Very popular with circle track guys. Seem to last well in that harsh environment.

SHANE 73Z
02-12-2007, 05:43 AM
I believe these are the same ones that SC&C carries. If you do some research, I believe they are available with extended studs, are adjustable for wear & rebuildable. I am running these with SC&Cs upper arms. It is remarkable how much easier they are to move by hand.

Shane

TLWiltman
02-12-2007, 11:30 AM
I believe these are the same ones that SC&C carries. If you do some research, I believe they are available with extended studs, are adjustable for wear & rebuildable. I am running these with SC&Cs upper arms. It is remarkable how much easier they are to move by hand.

Shane
SC&C carries the Precision Series ball joints from Howe Racing. Probably the coolest ball joints I've ever seen.

SHANE 73Z
02-12-2007, 01:35 PM
Thanks Tad. I get my wires crossed every now & again!

Marcus SC&C
02-13-2007, 11:08 AM
I checked the Afcos out at SEMA also. They`re basically premium quality stock configuration ball joints. Not a bad thing at all!
For clarification though our PC Series ball joints are a whole different animal. They`re CNC machined,heat treated and 3 process coated modular units. They`re reconfigurable, adj. for wear and tension and fully rebuildable (without taking them out of the car!). The Afcos look like a nice step up from parts store ball joints but the PC Series are in a league of their own. Mark SC&C

justforfun
02-15-2007, 07:45 PM
I have upper control arms and balljoints from marcus, pretty neat stuff. On the lowers I got a little agressive trying to seperate the ball joint & was just planning on a stock repacement. AFCO are not much more so looks like I'll give them a try.

wendell
02-16-2007, 07:35 AM
The howe bjs are the hottest ones I've ever seen. Aside from those I'd get MOOG or NAPAs and keep it simple.

jimmyballpeen
05-22-2007, 04:40 PM
So What is the verdict on the AFCO ball joints. Anybody runnin them? I am in the market and they seem reasonably priced. Thanks Jim

Marcus SC&C
05-23-2007, 10:28 AM
The Afco ball joints are basically stock type ball joints that are already "worn in" for you so that they move smoothly. Of course they`re constructed in the same manner as stock ball joints and are not adjustable or rebuildable so they`re a little further along towards worn out too. I wouldn`t expect them to last 100,000 miles without getting too loose but I suspect they`ll hold up fine on limited use cars. Mark SC&C

79birdman
05-26-2007, 12:17 PM
I called AFCO last week and talked to a tech, who told me that they need to be re-greased about every 1k miles. I only grease my current ones every oil change (3k-3.5k miles). So a ball joint that I had to grease every 1k would probable be a little excessive for me. just my 2 cents.

-Rob