PDA

View Full Version : e85 anyone

CSI:QUINCY
02-11-2007, 06:05 PM
would you use e85 in your car?

Ralph LoGrasso
02-11-2007, 06:09 PM
If it were available and priced less than or equivalent to 93 octane.

02-11-2007, 06:12 PM
e85 is 106-110 octane and is usually lower in price than unleaded fuel.

Ralph LoGrasso
02-11-2007, 06:16 PM
e85 is 106-110 octane and is usually lower in price than unleaded fuel.

I realize that, but here on Long Island, we don't have any stations that carry E85, so I'm assuming that once it does become available, due to the increased transport and minimal use (I'm assuming), the pricing would fall higher than 93.

The 106-110 octane is the main reason I'd like to see E85 available, would be nice for turbo projects.

02-11-2007, 06:24 PM
try this http://www.e85fuel.com/index.php

there is a spot to check were e85 is avalible close to you.

Ralph LoGrasso
02-11-2007, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the link. It looks like there is nothing within 150 miles and the few stations that exist are for private use only. Hopefully that will change soon.

02-11-2007, 06:49 PM
I ran some pump e85 on the dyno just to see what it was like. I ran 10.5-1 402ci LS engine with hyd cam at 550hp with 93 or e85. I then added cast iron ex manifolds to a gt42 turbo and added 15psi. It made 850hp on a .8 brake specific on 1.99 a gallon fuel. So my vote was yes!!

Kurt

RobM
03-10-2007, 05:50 PM
there ya go, kurt isnt the only one ive heard who has done these kinds of tests with the same results

MonzaRacer
03-12-2007, 05:33 PM
I got bashed for pushing this in the last E85 thread.
Yeah I am gonna run it and as we speak I am working on my FlexFI kit setup.
Think of it a complete kit for sale to run E85 and be able to run gas too!
So far sourcing the fuel sensor is a major pain.
Lee

Tech @ BG
03-13-2007, 10:00 AM
E-85 has a place, so it really depends on what you’re trying to do with it. If you’re looking at building a “flex-fuel” vehicle, it’s probably not the best choice. Since the A/F is richer than standard gasoline setups you will have to run more fuel. About 33% more! E-85 comes out to be about 105 octane, so if you want to build a high compression cruiser than it can work extremely well. The main downside right now is availability. The number of stations that carry it has nearly doubled in the last two years, but you’re still looking at less than 1% of stations in the country have it. We looked at running a car on the Power Tour with it last year, but would have had to carry 300 gallons of fuel to make the run based upon where we could stop and get it. The 105 octane is too much to run efficiently in a low compression engine, so running it in a stock (gasoline calibrated) engine is a waste, and it’s not high enough to run in a true (Competition Only) race engine. The Hot Rodder who wants a little more pop out of his piece is the perfect market for it right now.

MonzaRacer
03-17-2007, 12:34 PM
Strange I know of several people using E85 on 9.5 to 1 compression as they just wanted to make a statement on environment.
As for not being able to use it racing engines it had been used in engines up to 14.5 to 1 and in turbo engines with no ill effects and making good power.
Everyone makes a big deal about the lack of availablity but if you make a market they will bring it in.
From the information I read if you have a certain number of Flex Fuel selling dealers in a certain areas the local fuel dealers(gas stations) are getting big tax/build breaks to install the pumps and keep it on hand.
If the IRS gave people a fuel tax credit if they have proper reciepts then more FFV car owners might use it when available.
OH and strange but I see FFV cars running hard on gas or E85 so not performing is a crock.
As a person with family that farms I wholeheartedly endorse biofuels and fuels made from renewable sources.
Oh and I cna pretty much guarantee when the local distillery(ooppss grain processing plant) starts the cellulosic section my family is going to plant the bottomland in switch grass as it wont die as easy if it floods.
Oh and I do intend to make in the 350 to 400 hp on E85 and maybe even more if I use a turbo.
Lee

LowBuckX
09-08-2007, 09:07 PM
NOOOOOOOOO not this again. MOnza Im staying out of this one but Im with you in spirit.