PDA

View Full Version : How much torque will the Gen I body handle?

Widetracker
02-07-2007, 08:09 PM
I have a 69 Firebird convertible that I will building over the next few years. My question is how much torque will the bodies handle with sub-frame connectors, but no roll cage? I'm not talking slicks and a 5,000 rpm launch off a trans brake. I want to know how much power you can get away with on the street in these without the fenders pinching the doors. I've heard too many horror stories and don't want to twist up my body after putting all new metal in it.

My car is and will be staying a stick.

Thanks!

Madspeed
02-08-2007, 02:02 PM
Well lemme see I had a coupe with a 468 BBC oval port heads solid roller cam 10" street tires. The a pillar was tearing and the c Pillar was tearing with welded sub connectors.

silver69camaro
02-12-2007, 11:24 AM
The real question is: what kind of traction are you expecting?

If you were to have a set of 275mm street tires and a 2000 lb-ft Duramax, you'd be just fine. You'll just smoke the tires all day. Now, add some sticky tires, then there are problems. My general rule (from past experiece) is repeated hard launches with slicks really should require the use of subframe connectors and/or a cage. There is no magic number.

BTW, most of those "horror stories" about bodies twisting up are just that: stories. A few of us have actually had problems (I and the above post), but that's from years and years of abuse. It usually just leads to small cracks instead of the body being twisted up like a pretzel, as some people's fond memories seem to recall. That story is usually followed up on how their stock '67 Chevelle 396 SS Yenko Z28 Super Bee ran 8's on bias plys.

At any rate, put in some subframe connectors and have fun.

Tyson A
02-12-2007, 12:09 PM
That story is usually followed up on how their stock '67 Chevelle 396 SS Yenko Z28 Super Bee ran 8's on bias plys.

Hey I know that guy. Have you heard about his belt driven twin turbo Z06. I wonder which is faster.:hand: