PDA

View Full Version : Anyone watch American Hotrod last night?

69 panel
12-04-2004, 05:10 AM
What was Bluebear thinkin'? I've been accused of being hard headed and defiant when I was young but I was never dumb enough to look a "Gift Horse In The Mouth".

Let's see:

A. Free expert advise
B. Free use of one of the best equipped shops in the world.
C. Free Materials
D. Free performance parts
E. Free help from other employees also being paid to work on "YOUR CAR"

"Last but not least"

F. GETTING PAID TO WORK ON YOUR OWN
VEHICLE

BLUEBEAR IS A MORON AND MENTALLY AND SOCIALLY DEFICIENT

I've never seen anyone who deserved to be fired more than Bluebear. I saw the anguish on Boyd's face every time he tried to discuss it with Bluebear. I think it hurt Boyd to fire him because I believe Boyd really liked the kid. Boyd gave him three or four chances to do the right thing. :hammer:

c.schulz
12-04-2004, 06:37 AM
Ya, what a jackass!! Im not a big fan of Boyd so I was happy to see Bluebear call him out on a couple things that are true of Boyd.But Bluebear, what an idiot.Everything is paid for and he just cant see that everything is being handed to him.And just over a safety issue of boxing the frame.
Chris

qwik1320
12-04-2004, 09:08 AM
Bluebear definitely deserved it, there are a couple of guys there that don't seem to be playing with a full deck...even Boyd's bubble is a little off center :jump:

How does that show help Coddington? You'd think he'd want less drama and more of the craftsmanship shown. They have a ton of nice looking cars in those garages - how about a little less of the *beep* this and *beep* that - show the cars!

Timbo_z28
12-04-2004, 11:42 AM
I agree with qwik1320. I'm sick of all the drama in the car shows now. It seems like all of them on Discovery use the same script with different names. Every one of them is starting a project, getting behind, drama, drama, drama, and finishing just in time. Just show the cars! Nobody cares about their personality conflicts, we just want to see cool cars. Horsepower TV and Trucks are still the best in my opinion.
Just needed to vent.
Tim

harshman
12-04-2004, 12:37 PM
is bluebear the one who looks like "fire marshel bob"?

rocketrod
12-04-2004, 02:40 PM
harshman,

No that is Mike. Bluebear is a big guy about 6'4"sh and weighs about 275lbs.

I wonder when they are going to fire the hothead Dwayne?

I too wish the focus was more on the cars versus the drama. The show does not compell me to buy Boyd products.

Later,
Rod

Bill Howell
12-04-2004, 03:17 PM
The show does not compell me to buy Boyd products.

I agree. It's like a certain bike show on the same channel. Every bike they build on the show has major issues that they hurriedly "fix" with a homemade spacer or patchwork rewiring. :hammer: I hope that type workmanship is not truely representative of either shop's work. Enough with the drama and show us the true craftmanship that goes on.
I do however enjoy Boyd's stress relief solution-Smokin tires are happy tires!!!!!!!!!

c.schulz
12-04-2004, 03:55 PM
harshman,

No that is Mike. Bluebear is a big guy about 6'4"sh and weighs about 275lbs.

I wonder when they are going to fire the hothead Dwayne?

I too wish the focus was more on the cars versus the drama. The show does not compell me to buy Boyd products.

Later,
Rod
Id watch the show more is Dwayne wasnt on.
Also started to purchase a set of wheels from boyd but just cant bring myself to it after seeing the show a couple of times. :screwy: :screwy: :screwy:
Chris

WS6
12-04-2004, 06:43 PM
everyone would either be like dwayne or quit if they had to do his job. hes under a lot of stress and theres no time for him to rest on his laurels. look at the pressure he and the others are put under by Boyd to get the cars done. Look at charlie the painter working those all nighters. i love cars, but screw having to be pushed that hard all the time just to finish a car.

redsand
12-04-2004, 07:25 PM
Charlie finnaly quits. stay tuned

Blue bear.. I can understand why he would get pissed if someone was telling him how to build his car. I mean it would be like restoring a numbers matching 69 camaro tottaly stock but then someone telling you the drum brakes are not safe so they are going to put a set of baer brakes with red calipers.

Then again, if someone was paying me overtime and free performance parts. I would say "yes sir, may I have another"

Crazy world.

LowBuckX
12-04-2004, 11:14 PM
The problem with boxing and not boxing is you have a frame that was originally made in 1932 that was designed to harness about 65-79 horsepower. It was flexing just jacking it up. With that Flathead pushing 300hp+ It woulda had so much tourqe steer it would be unsafe.

boyd said afew times it was unsafe for the other people on the road.

He was right and Bluebaer didnt want to do purly to spite Boyd.

I hope BB watch that episode and saw boyd cry after he left the office.

The show killed most of the respect i have for Boyd but that episode won alittle back for me. Dywane was also very upset at BBs leaving he was choked up also.

Free car free parts free use of shop time and getting paid to do it lost over 2 24inch sections of plate steel. What a morron.

camaro41701
12-04-2004, 11:35 PM
This bull is just like a soap opera,Days of Coddington.I watched less than half of one show,turned it off and picked up a magazine.

68protouring454
12-05-2004, 10:49 AM
i agree with low buck i hated boyd at first but he got some respect from me, in that episode, you could tell he wanted to go off so bad on bluebear that moron, but he did go off, just not nearly as bad as he wnated, you could tell he really wanted to have blue bear see the light, but the kid was way to blind sided by ignorance anyway i have a bit more respect for boyd, he asked him way too many times before getting upset.
jake

socalfandabodys
12-05-2004, 12:30 PM
I grew up living in the same area as boyds first shop when it was in stanton near buena park. I remeber going there as a kid when he had his open houses. I was always impressed by how clean the shop was and cadzilla and chezoom. The first indepent rear suspensions I had seen up close. I think it was when Chip Foose was working for him because there were lots of concept drawings of future rods. Anyway, his shop made a big impression on me. I am sure alot of you will agree his first shop was alot nicer. The shop he has now looks like its in a airplane hanger and everythings dirty. Blue Bear is a moron, not only does a boxed frame look better its also alot safer. I am sure boyd didnt want blue bear to get hurt going cross country because it would be his ass and he would regret it for the rest of his life. By the way is blue bear related to boyd or something because he acted like it.

69 panel
12-05-2004, 04:06 PM
I found out a lot more about where Bluebear went and here is a quote form the guy who hired him after Boyd fired him.

O.k I have seen people harping on Blue Bear for the last few weeks and biting my tongue. It is know time to set the record straight and give some background on the infamous Blue Bear. What some people dont know about Blue Bear was he was showing up at Boyds shop when he was still in High school, wanting to learn how to build "hot rods" we all gave him the "get the [censored] out of here kid". He kept showing up, his persistence paid off. Eventually I taught Blue Bear how to Tig weld, fit tubes, make templates, basic fabrication skills. He graduated from high school and started working full time, the kid was actually doing it! Eventually like Blue Bear, Boyd and myself had a difference of opinions I ended up quitting and starting my own shop (circle city hot rods). Blue Bear kept at it and developed a taste for simpler more traditional style cars. (he said my coupe was a big influence). Blue Bear had a car that he bought (the model a) with his own money, and he scavenged and saved for the rest of his parts. Boyd comes along and decides to do the rat rod build-off. And this is were the problems start coming in. Blue Bear has his vision of how he wants to build his car, He has been researching reading the old mags, and paying attention to traditional cars. I dont know about you guys, but when I envision a project that I have been thinking about for years I stick to my vision. Blue Bear didnt want to change his vision, I for one think that is cool. Another thing that you guys dont see is the behind the scenes stuff, You just see the drama that the Discovery guys show you. I am not trying to brag, but I have been building hot rods for a pretty long time now, and I know the difference between an unsafe ****box and a decently built car. Blue Bears car was a pretty nice car. It was probably built better then most of the people that are talking [censored] on him on this board could build. I also suspect that you guys dont know of all the hours that he put in working for Boyd, not getting a cent of overtime. Or how he was sick of building plastic kit cars. Or how American Hot Rod portrayed him as being the village idiot. Yes, Blue Bear works for me now, I wouldnt hire someone that couldnt do the job or that built unsafe cars. The people that know me on this board know the kind of cars we build, and the quality I expect. I am really pleased with the fact that Blue Bear and I have come full circle, he is now able to build the style of cars he likes, in a better atmosphere. I personally invite any of you to come to my shop anytime to see the real Blue Bear.
Sorry about the rant, but I felt I had to set the record straight.
Jimmy White
P.s. Dont think Blue Bear has some kind of dirt on me, and I have to stick up for him, he is a good kid that just wants to build real hot rods.

Here is the link to another site where this quote came from.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=652060&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1

Raptor Pilot
12-06-2004, 04:19 PM
I can't stand watching that show. It is so drama oriented compared to American Chopper. Atleast on Chopper you see some progress on the current project. Hot Rod is just conflict this, Boyd upset about that, more petty conflict BS.

I'll stick with Rides and Overhaulin, thanks.

trapin
12-07-2004, 10:26 AM
Well geez....I'm sorry I missed the show.

Any idea when that particular episode will be on again?

derekf
12-07-2004, 11:18 AM
Part 1 is tonight (7p and 10p Central)
Part 2 on the 14th (next Tuesday)
and Part 3 on the 21st.

Looks like AHR has moved from Fri to Tue to start the block with Overhaulin' and Rides.

trapin
12-08-2004, 05:44 AM
Cool, thanks!

I set my brand spankin' new DVR to record those episodes. I love having a dish now.

Pro-touring towncar
12-11-2004, 10:02 AM
I do like AHR but only problem with most of the hot rod shows IE AHR ,rod build off, ETC. How many 32 Ford can you build. I think Boyd has built 3-4 on the show. I am tired of 32 Fords. Every time you turn on one of those shows, they are building a 32 Ford.

People there is a LOT of other project cars out there.

Tim

veritas
08-30-2005, 03:43 AM
As a reply to 69 Panel and the quote he found from the guy that hired Blue Bear:

Everthing he said is probably correct because he works and knows him, but there is a price for everything. When BB accepted Boyd's offer it came with a cost. Boyd was correct about safety, he has been doing it for a couple of years now. I f BB did not want to pay that price he should never had accepted the offer and done it on his own at his own pace.

From what I could see on the show BB car would have benn complete in the year 2055, maybe.

trapin
08-30-2005, 09:15 AM
WHOA!!!!

You dug deep to resurrect this old post. You're a little late, bro. We chewed this one to death about 6 months ago.

But welcome anyway....I see that you're new. :cheers: