PDA

View Full Version : Rear fenderlip rolling

jannes_z-28
12-03-2004, 11:34 PM
I must do something about the tireclearance on my car. When the it travels in the suspension really deep the reartires just touches the fenderlips. Our inspection authorities doesn't like that.

So I have to roll them slightly.

Is there anyone who got some tips or information to share on how to best do it without damaging the paint.

I have seen somewhere that this can be done if you are careful about it and going slow.

Jan

qwik1320
12-04-2004, 09:16 AM
Hi Jan,
Do a search for fender lip rolling, I know it's been covered but can't remember all the details. Eastwood sells a tool to roll the fender lip, search their site too because they sometimes have tech articles on their products.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=6159&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1%2C2%2C503%2C504%2C514&KickerID=140&KICKER (http://)

Good luck!

Drewhelm
12-08-2004, 01:20 PM
The way I did it was to use a deep socket and a socket wrench. Start by masking the wheel lip with about 3 layers of masking tape. Then start with a socket that squeezes in between the lip and tire about 3 inches from the center of the top of the tire. Using the wrench to turn the socket in the direction you want it to travel. Simply ratchet it across. Replace the deep socket with the next size bigger and repeat. You can work the same socket back and forth across the top of the tire by switching the ratchet switch. You will notice the lip rolling up along the inner edge. Just take your time and continue to go up in size on the socket until you've reached the desired clearance.

jannes_z-28
12-10-2004, 01:49 AM
Thanks for the tip Drew,

It sounds like it should work nicely.

Jan

CAMAROBOY69
12-10-2004, 05:50 AM
That is a great idea Drew! I used 1 layer of masking tape then several layers of duct tape when I did mine. After that I used vice grips with flat pieces of metal tack welded to the vice grips to distribute the load. Then I just slowly bent where necessary. But this required taking the wheel off the car which wasnt a big deal.
Off topic: Jan how is your engine coming along or is that in another thread?

Drewhelm
12-20-2004, 07:46 AM
Glad I could help!

jannes_z-28
12-21-2004, 01:17 AM
Off topic: Jan how is your engine coming along or is that in another thread?

Thanks for asking Adam,

I have all the parts and will have the macinework done in a few weeks.

I had a spare block in my garage since a few years back. I was lucky to find a pair of cylinder heads in good shape for a reasonable price.

My son is in L.A. over the X-mas and he will bring some stuff back in his suitcase. Also a full Marquez design kit :-)

I will let you know when it will start to come together.

Jan

Steve1968LS2
12-21-2004, 08:31 AM
Here is a special tool for rolling fender lips.. works great.. I have an article about how to use it in one of my older magazines..

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/pp-classifieds/showproduct.php?product=176

indyjps
12-22-2004, 04:00 PM
ive always heard an old wooden baseball bat works well, you have several sizes (diameters) if you keep cutting the handle off. watched it done once but it was before paint.