PDA

View Full Version : Stewart fuel pump not holding prime

lil zl1
02-06-2007, 04:07 PM
I have one of stewart's fuel pumps that flows 204gph and i can't seem to get it to hold the gas from the tank to the pump. I also have a dse stainless tank with -8 an from the tank to the pump.Any thoughts or suggestions would greatly appreciated. I have filled the bowls manually several times and the pump will pick and hold but seems to loose prime. By the way, this a mechanical pump. Thanks

LowBuckX
02-07-2007, 04:09 PM
Racepemps.com has a Q&A forum that Mr Stewart checks everyday and answers every question asked.

lil zl1
02-07-2007, 07:22 PM
I have already e-mailed and spoken directly with him and did his troubleshooting suggestions without success and he basically told
me that there was nothing wrong with the pump. So without results i am seeking other input and or advice

MonzaRacer
02-07-2007, 09:27 PM
OK so did you check the line from front to back for a Vacuum leak?
The biggest problem I see with these since we started selling them and if you have a vacuum leak it will lose prime very easily.
Another problem I have seen is the sock on the end of the fuel pick up AND if you have it out taking it off check very closely around any solder/welds on braces on the tube.
another place I see cracks and leaks is where the tube is soldered to the mounting plate.
My personal cure for problems has been the fabrication of a plate that welds to the front of the tank(pointing forward) and a tube that runs the length of the tank.I even fabbed up a T for the back side with a ball bearing that will seal the side tubes on turns. I personally liked when I built a tunnel in the middle of the tank to run the tube down as it drains fuel into it very well.
The last one we did we figured we had a stopped up tube as we were not getting any fuel(we had put in 5 gal )and never figured that the engine(632 BBC) would have used all the fuel so fast.
But when we decided to inspect the tank for trash we may have missed ,tada thedang thing was bone dry!
I am not a big fan of pulling fuel up from stock pick ups even with any kind of pump.
And a tiny vacuum leak will really mess with that pumps ability to pull fuel.
But also I know that we had one on a 540 BbC and I turned the engine over 1 full revolution and had fuel every where in the engine compartmentand had just put fuel in the tank and not turn the engine over.
Anotherthing is that if you dont have a vented cap it willpull the fuel back to the tank real quick.
Try leaving the cap loose. See if this helps.
Lee Abel
AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE