PDA

View Full Version : Open track smackdown

Damn True
02-06-2007, 09:21 AM
HOT-ROD lagged and GRM picked up the ball.

Originally Posted by GRM
Raise your hand if any of the following describe you:
* I get so excited the night before a track day that I have trouble getting to sleep.
* My team and I build the fastest cars around, and we’ll take on any challengers.
* I love beating up on the fancy-pants hardware with my crazy driving skills and this trusty (Your Car Here).

Now put your hand down and prepare to lose sleep, because we’ve got an event just for you. GRM has teamed up with NASA to create the Grassroots Motorsports Ultimate Track Car Challenge. We’re going select a variety of cars to compete in a NASA Time Trial format at the Virginia International Raceway North Course on Friday, July 27.

The fastest car wins, but since we’re a bunch of car-crazy writers, we’ll be looking for neat stories throughout the field. While the only hard data we’ll be gathering is the lap times, we’ll have our eyes peeled for outstanding (or horrific) engineering, daily driver manners, bad assedness, durability, ease of duplication, operating budget, driving ease and the use of brains over brawn.

To keep it simple, we’re going to have two categories, Shop Class and Independent Study. Shop Class is for the heavy hitters who build and prepare cars for a living. Independent Study is for the guys and gals who come home from work and spend late nights doing it themselves in the garage.

Each category is broken into two classes, Varsity and JV. All naturally-aspriated, four-cylinder (or less), mass production based cars running DOT legal tires are in the JV class. Anything with forced induction, racing slicks, a tube frame or an engine with rotors or more than four cylinders runs in Varsity.

This is an invitation only event, but we’re teaming up with CarDomain.com to make the application process part of the fun. If you want to be considered for the GRM UTC Challenge, log on to www.cardomain.com/grm (http://www.cardomain.com/grm) and follow the steps to create a CarDomain.com site for your entry.

As part of this process you’ll be required to upload a photo of your car, so have a digital image at the ready. The deadline for entry is June 1, but the sooner you submit your entry at CarDomain.com the more time we have to get to know your car before we make a decision.

Be sure to put in as much information as you can on your CarDomain.com site. We’ll be picking entries based on this information, and we won’t know how cool your car is unless you tell us.

Best of all, you’ll be able to poke around the GRM UTC Challenge category and see what other cars are in the running for a coveted entry spot. Readers can even vote on the entries on the site to influence the staff as to what they want to see in the competition. We’ll notify the invitees six weeks before the event (see sidebar). Up to the minute details will be available at grassrootsmotorsports.com, and we’ll keep you posted in the magazine as well.

If we choose your car for the GRM UTC Challenge, you’ll then need to register for the event through NASA and expect to pass a NASA tech inspection for a Time Trial car. Specifics will be posted along with the official rules at GRM Online. Each car can have one driver, and that driver must hold a NASA Time Trial or equivalent license. Generally this requires HPDE 4 or higher experience; obviously a road racing license does the trick too.

If you’re not already a NASA member, check out nasaproracing.com; signing up for a year is just $40, and that includes a 1-year subscription to GRM. They’ll be happy to get you on the path to getting your Time Trial license if you don’t already have one, or you can hand over keys to the qualified ringer of your choice if you prefer.

Time Trial rules will apply, so if you drop a wheel off the track you loose your time for that session, and metal-to-metal contact with another car on track means immediate disqualification with no refund. Open passing is allowed during each session.

The entry fee will be less than $200 per car and will be announced as soon as it’s finalized. All cars must run an AMB transponder, and a very limited number of rentals will be available at the track. Our tentative schedule includes a 20 minute morning warm-up session followed by three 15-minute afternoon sessions. A car’s single fastest lap from any of the afternoon sessions counts for the purposes of scoring.

Anyone in?

6'9"Witha69
02-06-2007, 09:27 AM
Now that is what it should be. That is thought out, partnered and advertised. Sounds like a good event. If I could make it anywhere near the area with my car I would sign up. Too bad that crap is always on the right side of the country.

Damn True
02-06-2007, 09:36 AM
GRM is one of very few auto mags that isn't based in LA or Detroit. I will concede their right to have an east coast bias in light of the west coast slant of the majority of their contemporaries.

MarkM66
02-06-2007, 09:42 AM
I don't think some will like having to get that "Time Trial license."

Damn True
02-06-2007, 09:46 AM
Well they are using NASA's TT format so with open passing they can't very well have rookies running around out there.

Honestly though if somone can't get a HPDE-4 sign-off they most likely wouldn't stand a chance. One could always hand the car off to the race licensed ringer of their choice.

MarkM66
02-06-2007, 09:49 AM
Well they are using NASA's TT format so with open passing they can't very well have rookies running around out there.

Honestly though if somone can't get a HPDE-4 sign-off they most likely wouldn't stand a chance. One could always hand the car off to the race licensed ringer of their choice.

That's true.

Then I would imagine the "open passing" might scare away the high dollar pt cars. A track time only might be more attractive.

69Nova
02-06-2007, 09:51 AM
What a badass event. I'm betting you will see some serious hardware there. But I doubt there will be any show cars like hot rod was leaning towards.

Who wants to get ahold of the old dude that has "The Cuda"?

Steve1968LS2
02-06-2007, 09:55 AM
Virginia? :(

Hey, maybe I could ask Boris Said to drive my car.. lol

Sounds like fun, although I do admit that "open passing" would make me a bit nervous, I really couldn't afford to rebuild my car is some knucklehead screwed up while passing me. His "getting disqualified" for smashing up my car would be of little comfort.

I like the idea of "track time only" though.. In any event it's nice that SOMEONE finally stepped up.

Steve Chryssos
02-06-2007, 10:14 AM
I'm in!

Steve68
02-06-2007, 10:42 AM
Boris Said, why don't you call Bill Auberlin or Hans Stuck, how's Hurly Haywood sound,

Sound like fun, GRM always has something up there sleeve,

Damn True
02-06-2007, 11:01 AM
I'm in!

I would think that playing up the paddle-shift thing in your entry would make your car VERY attractive to them.

Let us know when you get your car up on the Cardomain website. We'll make sure to go Chicago style on the voting.

MonzaRacer
02-06-2007, 12:04 PM
Well after looking into NASA and thinking that maybe my current project might be able to be steered towards more auto-X venues. I will use the NASA specs for safety but I have to look elsewhere for classes as the ones Imight be interested in require the use of Toyo tires.
NOW while I am sure a lot of people love thier tires and all have good luck I have 2 brands of tires that I will never run again, one of them being Toyo. After having had 3 tires fail at higher speeds, relativly new tires and very expensive ones at that, all Toyos (other brand aside) all different purchase points(dealers) and since the owner changed tire brands has never had so much as a tire go low let alone fail for any reason.
I hope no one ever has the problems we had with that car. # very expensive tires and 3 more even more expensive wheels and down time while the wheels were ordered (the first time), as he had a spare after that and even had ordered a third before the 3 tire blew.
now I have been in the tire buisness a long time and can tell when tires are bad and when I saw what happened on the tires (sidewall) it became very clear it was a defect but the dealer wouldnt make it right nor even admit it was a bad tire(my buddy would have taken a reduced price tire even). Now when we had 2 more blow we decided to look into other brands and to date he has never blown a tire(same size/rating) nor has he ever had any of the impact breaks he was plagued with. He had a tuner car before and had alwys had them and just attributed them to low pro tires on lightweight rims.
This is just my experience.
Oh and the other brand which a lot of people brag so much about that I wont ever use again we found we could NEVER get a perfectly round tire. They always had run out and for 300 to 500 dollar tires you would figure the company would make great tires. BUT even the regualr street tires are just a crappy.
OK I vented and related.
But I willsay use what you like and feel safe running.
It just that I have 2 performance tires I dont like anymore and several regular tire companies that make tires that are just plain slick and poorly built.
And this is from over 20+ years of working on cars, tuning cars and buying tires.

6'9"Witha69
02-06-2007, 01:06 PM
What was the name of Brand X?

69Nova
02-06-2007, 01:13 PM
I'm in!

I'm coming to watch then! I bet this would be a awsome event to walk the pits in. I could probly pull a ton of ideas from diffrent cars.

Bill Howell
02-06-2007, 02:19 PM
Boris Said, why don't you call Bill Auberlin or Hans Stuck, how's Hurly Haywood sound,

I don't have a Porsche!!!

I wonder if there is any year cut off? If not, count the malibu in.
Possibly another car too, project in the works now.

slow4dr
02-06-2007, 02:37 PM
It's to bad my car isn't finished and they don't have a class for "broke guy not knowing what he is doing"

ProBell
02-06-2007, 02:43 PM
I will look into this one. I am all for it with the concern of some one making a bad passing decision. Primer is so hard to patch!!! "Ha Ha"
Randy

ProBell
02-06-2007, 02:50 PM
One more thing, After reading this I hope I can sleep tonight. I am hitting the local go cart track tonight to try and help me sleep.

Randy

Steve Chryssos
02-06-2007, 03:03 PM
......Let us know when you get your car up on the Cardomain website. We'll make sure to go Chicago style on the voting.

It's up.

69Nova
02-06-2007, 03:05 PM
What about a link Steevo?

Edit: Nervemind I found it.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2563772

Damn True
02-06-2007, 04:41 PM
+1 for Steve-O

Chad-1stGen
02-06-2007, 05:29 PM
Way cool!

Wish my car had the bugs worked out and that it was a west coast event :p

68sixspeed
02-06-2007, 05:46 PM
Hey, and it's east coast too! I don't know about that whole open passing thing-- I like my shiny paint!

Damn True
02-06-2007, 11:45 PM
C'mon ya'all go vote for Steve-o so we can have some PT love in this shin-dig.

Steve is currently 17th in voting.

ProBell
02-07-2007, 03:52 AM
I read the rules and all looks good to me. I will post my entry soon.

Randy

MarkM66
02-07-2007, 06:26 AM
C'mon ya'all go vote for Steve-o so we can have some PT love in this shin-dig.

Steve is currently 17th in voting.

Seems as if GRM is picking the contestants. What voting are you referring to?

Damn True
02-07-2007, 08:31 AM
Im sure they (GRM) will be the final arbiter, but at the same time they want/need to sell magazines so the cars that people WANT to see will certainly garner increased consideration.

Neil B
02-07-2007, 09:59 AM
I got my first competition license through the NASA HPDE program. In my experience, it was a HUGE difference moving from HDPE 3 to HPDE 4 with open passing. In Group 4, you've got cars coming at you from everywhere and it is not for the faint of heart and not for $20K paint jobs. But once you experience open passing, you'll never go back. Just my .02.

Steve Chryssos
02-07-2007, 10:16 AM
From the GRM message board:

Hey all! I'm Jon Felton, Time Trial director for NASA Mid-Atlantic (the hosting region for this event.) First things first, we're REALLY excited to see the cars (and drivers) that get picked - excellent idea, GRM! https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

A couple of things to consider (mostly technicalities.)

1) Cars must pass our regular tech inspection by this form:

http://www.nasaproracing.com/images/rules-forms/form_hpde_tech.pdf (http://www.nasaproracing.com/images/rules-forms/form_hpde_tech.pdf)

Predictably, you will need to fill it out and bring it to "techistration" that weekend.

2) Drivers must have NASA TT licenses, which are available through me or any other regional TT director. Some background on our series is here:

http://www.nasa-tt.com (http://www.nasa-tt.com/)

And the license application & rulebook are here:

http://nasa-tt.com/Rules (http://nasa-tt.com/Rules)

You can disregard all the stuff about TT classing because we'll be using the classing system described in the GRM release of course. I'm rooting for anyone who enters Varsity Independent Study, personally.

As mentioned before... because these timed sessions will feature open passing (anywhere without a point-by), we are looking for good, safe, smart drivers with one of the following:

a) a valid roadracing license;

b) current instructor certification;

or

c) significant NASA-MA HPDE3-or-better (advanced/passing in corners) experience.

Keep in mind if you have the perfect car for this but not enough driving experience to qualify, you've got months to get there... or you can hand your keys over to any number of qualified drivers who will be available that day (myself included, hahahaha.)

3) You will need an AMB transponder. We have a few for rental ($75) or purchase ($335) but you're welcome to borrow or source one from elsewhere, as long as we have its ID with your entry.

So that's pretty much it. Again we're really excited to see what turns up in July and what turns out to be the fastest in each class. My dream project for this event would be an LSwhatever-powered E36 with Motons and big nasty Hoosiers. https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

See you in July,

Jon
804-397-FAST

Damn True
02-07-2007, 01:31 PM
Sounds like a very exciting event. Do you plan to get your HPDE-4 ticket or put a ringer in the car?

Steve Chryssos
02-07-2007, 03:37 PM
Ringer.

The challenge is to see which car is fastest. And I make car parts for a living. So it's more important that the car be fast. The car doesn't need to win--Just show up, finish, and be fast. It will, it can and it is.

Gotta keep reminding people that automatics can be fast. :hammer:

Steve1968LS2
02-07-2007, 03:39 PM
Ringer.

The challenge is to see which car is fastest. And I make car parts for a living. So it's more important that the car be fast. The car doesn't need to win--Just show up, finish, and be fast. It will, it can and it is.

Gotta keep reminding people that automatics can be fast. :hammer:

Call up Tony Bolton.. he has seat time in your car :)

mpozzi
02-07-2007, 06:21 PM
Hmmmmmm . . . very tempting but wrong coast.

Cheers,
Mary Pozzi

Steve Chryssos
02-15-2007, 07:21 AM
Gryllus pennsylvanicus (http://www.naturesongs.com/cricket1.wav)

tracar91
02-15-2007, 12:12 PM
From the GRM message board:

So that's pretty much it. Again we're really excited to see what turns up in July and what turns out to be the fastest in each class. My dream project for this event would be an LSwhatever-powered E36 with Motons and big nasty Hoosiers. https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

See you in July,

Jon
804-397-FAST

Is this something like you want?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=012&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=220080606825&rd=1&rd=1

All it needs is a LS7 and a T56

Steve Chryssos
02-20-2007, 12:38 PM
This looks like an interesting entry.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2572611

Damn True
02-20-2007, 02:25 PM
Virginia? :(

Hey, maybe I could ask Boris Said to drive my car.. lol

Sounds like fun, although I do admit that "open passing" would make me a bit nervous, I really couldn't afford to rebuild my car is some knucklehead screwed up while passing me. His "getting disqualified" for smashing up my car would be of little comfort.

I like the idea of "track time only" though.. In any event it's nice that SOMEONE finally stepped up.

G-28 is currently back east isn't it?

Bill Howell
02-20-2007, 06:21 PM

YEP, Alabama I heard.

Steve1968LS2
02-20-2007, 06:41 PM

Yea, it's getting an "Extreem Makeover" at Alan Johnson's Hot Rod shop.

TUBED
02-20-2007, 07:01 PM

That wagon is hot and the touches to the front can be done on a budget, it has some great ideas concerning the body and they are tasteful/functional. cool stuff.
Gerald

Damn True
02-20-2007, 07:29 PM
Yea, it's getting an "Extreem Makeover" at Alan Johnson's Hot Rod shop.

Perfect. Race it while it's in primer.

BA.
02-20-2007, 08:07 PM
well, cardomain isn't responding for me.

What/Who is GRM?

Bill Howell
02-20-2007, 08:11 PM

What/Who is GRM?

I know thats right, I have tried three times now to set up a page. Just got booted again about an hour ago, after thirty minutes of typing.:throw:

CraigMorrison
02-20-2007, 09:27 PM
Bill- if you use all ten of your fingers when you type, it goes a lot faster!

Damn True
02-20-2007, 10:12 PM

I love that thing!

Damn True
02-20-2007, 10:13 PM

What/Who is GRM?

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

http://www.grmotorsports.com/

Really good mag if you are into actually using cars for auto-x, open track, racing etc.

Neil B
02-21-2007, 10:37 AM
I love that thing!

Now that's my idea of a family truckster. Very cool.

Bill Howell
02-21-2007, 06:49 PM
Bill- if you use all ten of your fingers when you type, it goes a lot faster!

Showoff......:moon:

ProBell
02-28-2007, 02:13 PM
I just finished my entry to the GMR ULTIMATE TRACK CAR CHALLENGE.
If you feel my car is good for this event I could use your vote. I would very much like to be part of this event.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2565383

THANKS RANDY

69Nova
02-28-2007, 02:29 PM
I just finished my entry to the GMR ULTIMATE TRACK CAR CHALLENGE.
If you feel my car is good for this event I could use your vote. I would very much like to be part of this event.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2565383

THANKS RANDY

I gave 5 stars for both ratings. I love your car.

ProBell
03-01-2007, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the support. Randy

Steve Chryssos
03-01-2007, 08:40 AM
Awesome car and a great story. I hope we both get picked. Good luck Randy.

69Nova
03-01-2007, 11:40 AM
That would be a almost perfect way to represent pro-touring if both of you guys got picked. I want to go to this event and just walk the pits and hang out. I bet I sure could learn alot.

Steve Chryssos
03-01-2007, 11:44 AM
That would be a almost perfect way to represent pro-touring if both of you guys got picked. I want to go to this event and just walk the pits and hang out. I bet I sure could learn alot.

All except the part where his car kicks my car's ass.

69Nova
03-01-2007, 11:52 AM
LOL.... you already scared??? Someday I still want a ride in your car Steevo.

Steve Chryssos
03-01-2007, 12:08 PM
Some day. Yeah there are some bad ass cars in the running. I have no intention of winning.

69Nova
03-01-2007, 12:19 PM
Yeah but a good showing could be awsome for bussines, but I'm sure you knew that. Plus it will be a hell of a good time.

jeff s
03-01-2007, 01:22 PM
GRM asked me if I'd come to this event with my Ultima GTR at SEMA. Don't know if that means I'm picked or not though.

Damn True
03-01-2007, 07:48 PM
GRM asked me if I'd come to this event with my Ultima GTR at SEMA. Don't know if that means I'm picked or not though.

Jeezus, they should have just called the Ferrari F1 team.

69rs
03-01-2007, 08:39 PM
I don't have a Porsche!!!

I wonder if there is any year cut off? If not, count the malibu in.
Possibly another car too, project in the works now.
Let me know if you need a driver.:fingersx:

ProBell
03-02-2007, 06:36 AM
Thanks Steve, Hope we get in, If not I hope to get together with you at a show or track event some time this summer. I would love to see your car. I will stay in touch.
Randy

Damn True
06-11-2007, 07:54 PM
Well?

June 1 has come and gone. Anyone from PT.com in?

ProBell
06-12-2007, 02:34 AM
I had something come up on the same date so I had to withdraw my entry regretfully. I have been watching GRM and Car Domain to see who got in. I do not think they posted it yet.
I hope Steve gets in. The track looks great. Randy

Steve Chryssos
06-12-2007, 07:19 AM
No word from them. I'll give GRM a call this week. I am anxious to try out the new MusclrDrive torque converter.

Damn True
06-12-2007, 11:28 AM
Good luck.

Steve Chryssos
06-12-2007, 06:50 PM
We did not get picked.

hotrdblder
06-13-2007, 09:51 AM
wtf??? thats sucks, well you got a gone thru car now!!!

69Nova
06-13-2007, 10:57 AM
Well thats gay. Sorry Steevo.

6'9"Witha69
06-13-2007, 11:41 AM
Who the hell was picked over you?

Damn True
06-13-2007, 11:44 AM
Lemme make some guesses.

3-series bimmer
miatas
civics
a few home-spun swap things like a SBC into a 240-z sorta things
a few home-builds ie Locost-7
Jeff Scwartz

vanzuuk1
06-13-2007, 03:06 PM
True reads grm.

Steve Chryssos
06-13-2007, 03:25 PM
It IS an Ultimate TRACK car competition after all. I have a hot rod. It's okay that my street car doesn't make the cut. I'm happy to have been considered. All good.

Damn True
06-13-2007, 03:35 PM
True reads grm.

Don't tell Rupp.