PDA

View Full Version : Custom Gas Tank

Andrew McBride
12-03-2004, 01:38 PM
I talked to my local fabrication shop and they said they would help me build a gas tank for my 68 camaro. This is something I know nothing about when it comes to fuel injection set-up cars

I am running a fuel injected 5.7L 350 SB probably 350-400 HP ZZ4 type set-up.

Anyone know the demensions of the DSE tank? and anything else I should consider?

thanks, Andrew

Norm Peterson
12-07-2004, 07:01 AM
Suction to the EFI pump must always be kept submerged, or the engine will run rough or stall completely. Remember that with EFI there's no float bowl to cover up momentary loss of fuel flow. An in-tank pump needs to be baffled, and an external EFI pump needs to be fed from a separate small tank that's kept full by other means.

(On edit) - otherwise you'll end up looking at the half-full mark on your gas gauge as getting close enough to "E" to warrant a stop for fuel.

Norm

Fuelie Fan
12-07-2004, 12:12 PM
Norm's info is (as usual) technically and basically correct, but I'd note that for daily driving I can run my nova down to 1/8th tank using the stock carb pickup and external pump without any problems. The harder you drive, of course, the more critical baffling becomes.

airrj1
12-07-2004, 12:16 PM
What about using a custom tank in competition? Do you need them to be SFI approved? Or will a custom tank be acceptable for track events and/or autocrossing?

Matt@RFR
12-07-2004, 12:27 PM
I've never had any of my fuel cells questioned at the track, so you shouldn't have a problem with it.

Norm Peterson
12-07-2004, 01:34 PM
For auto-x, the rulebook only states that basic tech inspection need verify that "no excessive fuel, oil, or brake fluid leaks should be observed when the engine is running". But it does later go on to state that "any car that is judged by the Event Chairman to be in an unsafe operating condition at any time during the event shall be barred from competition until the deficiency is corrected to the satisfaction of the Chief Technical Inspector".

Beyond that, allowable fuel system & tank modifications/replacements vary with the class you're running in, with 'enforcement' provided by the protest procedure. That said, it's unlikely that anything of reasonably sound construction would ever get protested at a regional event. Divisionals, perhaps. National Tour and the Nationals, probably, if it cost somebody a win or some continency.

The harder you drive, of course, the more critical baffling becomes.Guess you got me there (don't think I've ever met a corner I didn't at least feel challenged by, if not actually enjoy outright).

And not incidentally, the fuel tank shape matters, too.

Norm

Andrew McBride
12-08-2004, 04:23 PM
thanks for the input guys. Matt if I shoot you an e-mail could you give me more specifics about demensions and other questions. Thanks again for everyone's input. This car is just going to be driven on the streets and not driven to extreme's.

Andrew

Matt@RFR
12-08-2004, 05:10 PM
I'd be glad to help. :)

[email protected]