PDA

View Full Version : Can I tighten wheel bearing castle nuts more after break in?

aggressive male
02-04-2007, 01:30 AM
I'm trying to find ways to get less steering slop, when I put my new front rotors on one of the castle nuts would almost turn another 1/6th, Now that they are broke in with a few thousand miles on them I'm wondering if I can tighten it more for less steering slop? Thanks

pitts64
02-04-2007, 07:15 AM
Did you check your steering linkage for play?
Trying to shake the front wheels side to side while the front end is suspended isn't good enough.
Its best to disconnect the pitman and idler arms and then look for play at each joint.

MrQuick
02-04-2007, 11:13 AM
castle nuts should be good to go if torqued properly. if it was torqued properly then loosened up look for a worn component. follow pitts advise...look for up and down movement in the pit and idler arm.

aggressive male
02-04-2007, 02:02 PM
Oh, you guys mean look for slop where the pitman and idler arms rotate. Do I really have to disconnect them to shake them up and down though?

Stu Seitz
02-04-2007, 02:53 PM
Oh, you guys mean look for slop where the pitman and idler arms rotate. Do I really have to disconnect them to shake them up and down though?

No, jack your car up until the wheels no longer touch the ground. If you can move the wheels, even a little without moving the steering box, you have found you're problem.