PDA

View Full Version : How can I paint por15 inside my frame?

aggressive male
02-04-2007, 12:04 AM
Hi,

I'm trying to keep my frame from rusting from the inside out. The thin undercoating inside the frame seems still good on the side walls and top wall but the bottom wall feels very flaky when I stick my fingers in an opening and I can typically pull out some flakes. I'm wondering if there is a good way to get inside and clean it up before it gets worse without having to take the frame off the car and get it acid dipped? The middle third is c channel so I can get in through that.

Blaster11
02-04-2007, 05:39 AM
One guy told me to put a string through the length of the frame and then tie a POR 15 soaked sponge to the string and pull it through as many times as needed to coat the inside. Never did do it but seemed simple enough.

Bruce

Chad-1stGen
02-04-2007, 11:32 AM
POR15 like all paint is only going to be as good as the prep work beneath it. Painting over rust is one thing but you still need to clean all the dirt, grease, flake, etc off. So while the string and sponge trick sounds great if you don't do something to clean the area first you are not going to see much benefit.

aggressive male
02-04-2007, 02:24 PM
Fortunatly for me I only seem to really have this problem in the last third of the car. Maybe since it is really just the floor inside the frame I can poor acid from the top of the hump through holes into the frame? That string method sounds like a good idea, I'll probably try it. Anyone know another way I can prep inside of the frame? Thanks

VenturaII
02-04-2007, 06:49 PM
Maybe a pressure washer with a long wand.

aggressive male
02-04-2007, 07:30 PM
Maybe a pressure washer with a long wand.Great idea if a pressure washer is good enough to do the job.

CDJr
02-05-2007, 01:31 AM
Heres how I cleaned and sprayed mine...I got a cheap lil "engine cleaning wand" from HF for like $5-10. It uses compressed air and has a siphoning tube attatched at the handle for using cleaning agents (it actually IS very handy for cleaning around the engine too :eek: ) and I used it to blast away as much inside the frame as possible. Then I just poured Chassis-Saver into a cup and stuck the tube into it and sprayed it. Im sure its not exactly a showcar finish inside the frame but it got the job done lol.

aggressive male
02-05-2007, 02:57 AM
Heres how I cleaned and sprayed mine...I got a cheap lil "engine cleaning wand" from HF for like $5-10. It uses compressed air and has a siphoning tube attatched at the handle for using cleaning agents (it actually IS very handy for cleaning around the engine too :eek: ) and I used it to blast away as much inside the frame as possible. Then I just poured Chassis-Saver into a cup and stuck the tube into it and sprayed it. Im sure its not exactly a showcar finish inside the frame but it got the job done lol.Thanks CDJr! I'll probably do that. Where did you get this engine cleaning wand? Did you bend it to get into the wheel humps? What is Chassis saver? Anything like por15? I'll have to rush and do both frame rails immediatly because once I use chassis saver it will ruin the cleaning wand right?

toofun
02-05-2007, 04:05 AM
Well I dont know if this is even feasible but what about a roto router tool? Like the kind that plumbers use to snake your toilet pipes for clogs. If you can find a way to take the attachment off and rig up a heavy ball bristle the rotating action may work quite well....Then again its just a thought....

Mark
TOOFUN

CDJr
02-05-2007, 02:33 PM
I got it at HarborFreight. I didnt see it on their site but in the store they had it with the other air fittings and filters etc. The only problem is its only about 2 feet long or so, but Im sure someone makes longer ones. Yes Chassis-Saver is pretty much identical to POR15 but costs like $30 less a gallon. Im sure you could run thinner through the wand to clean it before it sets up.

justforfun
02-06-2007, 08:30 PM
I have heard of pulling a flexable tube through the frame. The end has several small holes so it can be sprayed from the inside.

brrymnvette
04-03-2007, 06:54 AM
http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=10966&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1%2C2%2C372%2C373%2C376&KickerID=40&KICKER

jb@ridetech
04-25-2007, 08:28 AM
i used a gun cleaning kit it worked pretty good.

racereno
04-27-2007, 07:52 PM
I bought a couple of long steel wire bottle brushes at Northern Tool and intend to chuck them up in my air drill. On my G-body the inner frame rust is mainly from the rear wheelwel back. I can access the area after removing the bumper "shock absorbers". For this area, and those forward, I was thinking of using a undercoating spray applicator made for inner-frame work. I thought it was interesting to hear that someone else had actually used a hand pumped pressure garden sprayer with the wand end plugged and side holes drilled in the tip to apply the coating!

Kenova
05-04-2007, 05:23 PM
When I did the sub frame for my Nova I used a small scraper that was hose clamped to a broom stick :poke: to get the crud out of the frame rails. I followed that with a good pressure wash.
To paint the inside I cut the business end off of a small brush and screwed it to the previously mentioned broom stick. I was able to get all but a few inches where it kicks up for the front suspension.
Ken