PDA

View Full Version : My tilt telescope steering column has slop in it, what shall I do?

aggressive male
02-03-2007, 06:12 PM
Hi,

I have a 77 deville that has slop at the joint inside the tilt telescoping steering column. It seems like it would be tough to take it apart and get it back together so that the blinkers hazard and ignition all work right. Do you think I should try to fix it or maybe I should try to put a straight column in from something else? Thanks

Madspeed
02-03-2007, 07:59 PM
all I can tell you is its not really that difficult to fix IFF you have the right tools and skills.
You just need to take your time and take pictures to help you reassemble.
The tilt part has pins you have to pull out from the side with a small slidehammer or I made a puller tool out of a machine screw, nut, washer and a sleeve notched to fit correctly.

the problem is DEEp in there where there are some screws you need to remove clean and reinstall with red loctite.

I Love those things they are $$$$$ makers
I can knock one out in about 20 min... should giter done in a couple hours your first time.

aggressive male
02-03-2007, 08:16 PM
all I can tell you is its not really that difficult to fix IFF you have the right tools and skills.
You just need to take your time and take pictures to help you reassemble.
The tilt part has pins you have to pull out from the side with a small slidehammer or I made a puller tool out of a machine screw, nut, washer and a sleeve notched to fit correctly.

the problem is DEEp in there where there are some screws you need to remove clean and reinstall with red loctite.

I Love those things they are $$$$$ makers
I can knock one out in about 20 min... should giter done in a couple hours your first time.Thanks Madspeed, I've got the right tools alright, I just took apart a more complicated 80's olds column to get that plastic piece I need but if I were to put it back together I can't remember where everything goes. Lucky for me the older caddy column is a bit less complicated but I'm afraid I'll get it back together and have less slop and maybe the blinkers or hazard lights won't work anymore. guess I should pull out a video cam or memorize it.

So where do you work that it is typical for you to take those apart Madspeed?

aggressive male
02-03-2007, 08:19 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot to ask, shall I clean all these pieces and regrease them or should I try not to get them dusty and leave the grease thats on them? WHat kind of grease should I use if I need to grease them? any plastic compatible?

Madspeed
02-03-2007, 08:57 PM
I would go ahead and clean it up and use a light bearing grease other than white grease.
You DO NOT need to take the switch apart you will unscrew it and slid it up out of your way.
unplug it from under the colum, pull the plug out of it retainer on the colum and get enough slack to pull it up out of your way.

You may need an inverted tourqe sockett to remove and reinstall the bolts at the VERY base.

I have been a tech for over 20 years.
I do everything myself Incl electrical trans work and rear gear setups.
I do this for a living out of my casa =)

aggressive male
02-03-2007, 10:27 PM
Thanks Madspeed! Just one more question I think, would you take the column out of the car or do this in the car?

ProTouring442
02-04-2007, 04:53 AM
In the car.... and I agree, back when I was wrenching I loved those things!

Where are you located? If close, I'd be glad to help you through the process.

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
'72 442 "Inamorata"
www.FQuick.com/ProTouring442 (http://www.FQuick.com/ProTouring442)

aggressive male
02-04-2007, 02:30 PM
In the car.... and I agree, back when I was wrenching I loved those things!

Where are you located? If close, I'd be glad to help you through the process.

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
'72 442 "Inamorata"
www.FQuick.com/ProTouring442 (http://www.FQuick.com/ProTouring442)I live in mass, guess you live in maryland so thats too far but thanks for the offer! Maybe I'll post pics and you can help if I have problems.

ZZ430
02-04-2007, 03:18 PM
Yeah, those are easy money!

...and they pay very well.....