PDA

View Full Version : T-56 Bearing Retainer

zuess4u
12-02-2004, 02:30 PM
Has anyone changed the size of the bearing retainer on a T-56 (1995 Camaro), If you could increase the size to match a Sangsaw, Muncie or T-10 for that matter, you could run a hydraulic release bearing, and turn it into a push style, allowing more choices and better pricing. Unless someone knows who makes hydraulic throw bearings to fit the T-56. I called Bob Weir, he was less then helpful, and sorta rude, The thing that has more so driven me to do this is Bob Weir, he said "youll never get it to work", so now the bar is raised. Alls I need is to increase the retainer size or find a hydraulic throw out bearing with a diameter that will fit. Any Ideas or advise would be appreciated. Thanks Bob

andrewb70
12-03-2004, 09:18 AM
What is the OD of the T56 bearing retainer snout?

You are very limited on space with that setup, but I bet I will have a solution for you. I know a couple of people. :smoke:

Andrew

zuess4u
12-03-2004, 10:02 AM
Andrew thanks for lookin, I may not be exsact, but I think the T-56 bearing retainer is close to 1.39 and a normal 4 speed may be around 1.27, Let me know if you get any info, this may be a alternative for people in the future. The retainer holds the key, the rest is me expermenting with different hydraulic bearings. I talked to Tilton, they were developing a bearing just for this, but the RD department dropped it, due to the lack of market demand.

andrewb70
12-03-2004, 11:06 AM
Lets not mention the "T" word again. :spank2:

The "standard" chevy bearing retainer that you find on your typical Muncie and T-10 measures 1.370. If yours is 1.39, you may be able to safely machine it down. Then you can maybe use this bearing:

http://www.quartermasterusa.com/adobe_pdf/install_instructions/Install_Instructions_Hydraulic_Street_Bearing_7211 00.pdf

I believe the total height of that bearing is 2 inches and that may be short enough.

Another solution may be Quarter Master's new universal bearing. I saw it at SEMA. It is nice and compact, but is not quite ready for general consumption.

Andrew

zuess4u
12-03-2004, 12:46 PM
haha, sorry for the T word, I have look and talked to quater master too, my problem was, I was being a spaz and didnt have diameter measurements to them, I will re-measure this weekend, Im at work so I didnt have the numbers infront of me. I know this will work, its just a matter of research and of course time. Im thinking of making a skellaton bell housing out of black pipe and what not, in order to be able to put it together and take measurements, unless you know someone with a close to free T-56 bell housing. I will update, thanks for your help for sure. Bob

zuess4u
12-03-2004, 01:31 PM
Also, you are right about the space problem, thats why its a pull type Im sure. I think we only have about a half inch to play with before the input shaft will fall out of the crank. So I hope we can find a very skinny hydraulic release bearing. Im looking at a Tilton cut sheet on a 800 type, they range from 1.82, 1.90 and 1.85, pretty skinny, we also have to consider or figure out the contact diameter for a regular push style pressure plate. Something else, I was told the 305 flywheel from the 80s is thinner then the earlier models, this may help us as well.

zuess4u
12-07-2004, 06:40 AM
All right moving foward, found Quater Master has the shortest hydraulic release bearing, 1.79 also will be getting a 305 flywheel (early 80s), I THINK we may have enough room to make this work. If it does, this may be a low buck way to make your pre-86 block work. I have been talking to Quater Master about making the inside diameter smaller 1.31 to fit the OE T-56, if they do and this combo works, the cost to do this will drop quit a bit, and you will have more of a selection of pressure plates and discs to choose from. I will take photos and update as we go.

68RallySport
12-11-2004, 12:14 PM
Keep us updated im very interested!
David

zuess4u
12-13-2004, 01:07 PM
Dave & Matt, I will most definitly keep you guys a post, Quater master may make one for the t-56 retainer size in the future. If this works, and theres a maket for it, Im sure they will. we most likely wont be back on it, tell the kids get back to school. This is a high school project. I own the car, and my father is the instructor. Seems like I do most of the work, cause the students just dont get into it that much. Im sure when its done they will though. Anyway, i will update....Merry Christmas....

TitoJones
12-13-2004, 02:01 PM
There was a guy over @ Camaros.net that did a LT1 style T56 on a 2pc block using a pre 86 flywheel. He said the only issue he has was needing to run a spacer off the actuator mount in the bellhousing to get more clearance. Do some searches over there, shouldn't be too hard to find, plus you can retain the factory setup/hydraulics.

Tyler