PDA

View Full Version : 2nd gen with ls1 a/c questions

joeljet
01-31-2007, 01:29 PM
73 firebird with air already. want to use stock controls (can send out for modification) the opinion of any builders who have experience with more than one brand of aftermarket systems would probably help many on this forum.
question 1: who makes a bracket to install a sanden compressor in the stock ls1 position?

question 2: who makes the better system? vintage air, classic auto air, hot rod air, old air? or are there others?

question 3: should i just upgrade my old stuff? what need upgrading?

question 4: old air makes a heater control valve that recircs the water back to the water pump when the heater is not being used (which the ls1 needs), but its plastic. does anyone make a metal one?
thanx joel

29od1
02-05-2007, 09:52 AM
Vintage Air makes a bracket that adapts a Sanden to the stock LSx compressor bracket. It's on page 54 of their catalog #141803-MCA or #141804-MCA.

joeljet
02-05-2007, 01:25 PM
thanx my catalog should be in the mail. joel

Goatman
02-05-2007, 05:49 PM
All I know is Nostalgic Air has parts that will work with the stock LS1 compressor and condensor. Vintage's stuff will not work with any of the factory stuff.

ProdigyCustoms
02-05-2007, 06:49 PM
If you are getting rid of the factory evaporator, and going with a new system. The New Vintage Air Gen IV is the hot set up. We will have them VERY soon now. Look for a announcment as soon as they come out.

We also sell Classic Air, but will not sell Hot Rod Air.

joeljet
02-06-2007, 09:23 AM
according to vintage air yesterday they wont be releasing the new setup till march-april. will probably wait till then to make a decision. next step on the car is engine compartment painting but gotta wait till a/c setup is figured out.

wblanton
02-07-2007, 05:35 PM
Why dont you run the factory compressor and the Vintage Air Evaporator? This way you dont have to worry about changing a bunch of brackets. Order the vintage air system with no compressor.

Bowtie racing
02-07-2007, 11:17 PM
Why dont you run the factory compressor and the Vintage Air Evaporator? This way you dont have to worry about changing a bunch of brackets. Order the vintage air system with no compressor.

Is it possible to run factory comperessor(ls1 model) with rest of the vintage air system? Can "an style" fittings and hoses used?

joeljet
02-08-2007, 06:57 AM
ls1 compressors are variable displacement and vintage air is the only aftermarket manuf that says you can use that type comp. i've seen many many posts on this that says you need a positive disp comp. the ls1 may work for a while but it will die. i'd just as soon get a sanden for $200 and put it in now during build then have to tear a bunch of stuff apart later.

KUL FIR CHICK N
02-08-2007, 07:11 PM
Under low load conditions, a variable displacement compressor will "hunt" because the compressor and expansion valve, both controlling their capacity based on suction side pressure, must be precisely matched to work with each other. Also, a variable compressor will starve for oil and eventually die without an expansion valve specifically designed for it.

I have seen them work, and I have seen them die. In my opinion, its not worth the risk, but some have had success. If the compressor dies, it will usually ruin the condenser and can also clog the expansion valve.

Those companies who say their systems work with variable compressors simply don't know enough about A/C to know why its not a good idea. Some companies will say whatever it takes to make another sale. There are no aftermarket companies who offer systems capable of working properly with variable disp. compressors. That said, they typically last a while before they crap out.

We worked with Delphi and developed a fixed disp. version of the ls1 compressor, but when they got into big financial trouble, that program went away. We only got to ship a few.

We make a steel bracket that puts the Sanden compressor in the factory location, but it hangs out a bit more. Street and Performance also makes one from aluminum.

I haven't looked at a '73 bird's panel lately, is it the same as a Camaro? If so, our Gen 4 70-73 kit will be released in March and would probably go in with few modifications.

joeljet
02-09-2007, 06:04 AM
Under low load conditions, a variable displacement compressor will "hunt" because the compressor and expansion valve, both controlling their capacity based on suction side pressure, must be precisely matched to work with each other. Also, a variable compressor will starve for oil and eventually die without an expansion valve specifically designed for it.

I have seen them work, and I have seen them die. In my opinion, its not worth the risk, but some have had success. If the compressor dies, it will usually ruin the condenser and can also clog the expansion valve.

Those companies who say their systems work with variable compressors simply don't know enough about A/C to know why its not a good idea. Some companies will say whatever it takes to make another sale. There are no aftermarket companies who offer systems capable of working properly with variable disp. compressors. That said, they typically last a while before they crap out.

We worked with Delphi and developed a fixed disp. version of the ls1 compressor, but when they got into big financial trouble, that program went away. We only got to ship a few.

We make a steel bracket that puts the Sanden compressor in the factory location, but it hangs out a bit more. Street and Performance also makes one from aluminum.

I haven't looked at a '73 bird's panel lately, is it the same as a Camaro? If so, our Gen 4 70-73 kit will be released in March and would probably go in with few modifications.

the control panel is different. is the new setup going to be cable or electronic control? is the heater control on the unit or external, because oldair has an external elec heater control valve that recirc's the water back to the water pump when its not going to the heater. (which the ls1 really does need or you have to put a bypass in the lines before the heater which would decrease the heater effieciency)
joel