PDA

View Full Version : Saw Lance's GTO

sam1
12-02-2004, 12:22 PM
About two weeks ago, I was driving by Colvin Automotive in Austin and saw a Foose GTO out front - I stopped by and checked asked the guy at the desk if it was Lance's overhaulin car and he confirmed it.

The guy was nice enough to let me look over the entire car - so watching the show was nice having already seen the finished product -

The paint job on the car is outstanding - and the engine compartment was impressive. The interior seemed kind of euro, and not my favorite style but was well done. Surprisingly, I did not like the wheels, they seemed to much of a contrast to sleek subtle look of the rest of the car - would like to see it with some 18" torque thrusts on it - maybe it was just the design. my 2 cents any way.

Has anyone else seen the car in person? What are your thoughts???

The extra bonus was the dealer across the street had a restored 69 camaro with a 502 dropped in.

All very motivating for me to get my ride finished.

trapin
12-02-2004, 01:02 PM
They did an impressive job with that car. However....I would really love it if he were the LAST celebrity that gets the honor of being overhauled.

Save it for the little people. It makes for a better story.

Andrew McBride
12-02-2004, 01:08 PM
I agree with you Tony. I hope it doesn't turn into celebrity overhaulin. The GTO was nice, but my favorite is the vette.

rob07002
12-02-2004, 01:40 PM
Here! Here! No more celebs

I think the Chevelle is the nicest so far, imo

ALLFAITH
12-02-2004, 01:50 PM
I would add the wheel vintiques billet Rally 2's so it still has a Pontiac feel. But they are Foose wheels and he built it.

I got the feeling Cheryl Crow was footing the bill (or some of it). That could have been the editing though.

I agree on the celeb. thing, except Lance Armstrong does great things for cancer research. I believe if anybody is deserving it would be him.

B Schein
12-02-2004, 06:55 PM
Isn’t SW shop across the street from where they did the GTO at.

Brian

sam1
12-02-2004, 07:13 PM
I can see overhauling a car for a guy like Lance, who gives back - but a guy from 90210... makes me want to vomit. Pick someone in need - like me.

The shop across the street is owned by a guy named Sriyantha (probably misspelled), and he always has a bunch of jacked up vettes and vipers - the location is weird, you have this guys shop, and Colvin Automotive in the middle of a quiet neighborhood - seems like most of my shortcuts in that area take me by those shops for some reason.

Nine Ball
12-02-2004, 07:34 PM
I agree, overhauling celeb cars is dumb. Its not like they don't have the cash to send it off and get it done. I'm sure everyone watching is thinking the same thing too.

Tealm0nsta
12-02-2004, 07:35 PM
Isn’t SW shop across the street from where they did the GTO at.

Brian

I think so. There are some shots of his new 69 w/ the 502 floating around somewhere. Its clean but not all that impressive compared to the other rides in the stable, just a restored 69 w/ a crate motor.

Richz68
12-02-2004, 07:58 PM
The show is an unbelieveable success for the TLC netowork, but it is a success for a reason.... the show is most appealing to the "fringe" auto enthusiasts. What I mean by that is guys who had a car "back in the day" or possibly their dad, brother, neighbor, etc. have a car and they love cars, but aren't sure if they want to get in the hobby again or for the first time.

I know that we are true car-freaks who primarily build our own cars and for that very reason we become bored with the show's format very easily. The "wonder-twins", the whole theft gag, and the celebrity or non-car enthusiasts owners are hard for us to watch.

Steve1968LS2
12-02-2004, 08:37 PM
The nice part is them im sure that Lance and Sheryl couldnt have afforded to fix up that car themselves.. Its touching that the car was safed.. ;)

I heard in the next episode they are going to Overhaul a car for Bill Gates!

Nice car except the wheels.. its amazing what they can do in 7 days...

Tealm0nsta
12-02-2004, 08:44 PM
I was talking w/ a friend of mine and one of the builders from houston on the lance show painted his truck and is a friend of his. He let us in on a few things. Foose doesn't sleep and after they deliver the car they take it back and go back over it to make sure everything is right. I guess its a safety thing. I mean do you really want to hit the road and make a blast in something that had the suspension put on in a rush?

KUL FIR CHICK N
12-03-2004, 04:57 AM
The reason they did Lance's car is TLC/Discovery Channel is sponsoring him now. Its a good way to play that up.

The wheels look better in person. They fill the wells, and make the big car look smaller. They don't really build these cars to perform, its all about the looks. This one will probably perform pretty well though, with a stroked 455 and good heads/cam. Its got all Hotchkis suspension but it definately needed to be re-tuned for the wheel/tire combo, it bounced all over the place in the rear and was a little scary to control.

The car hadn't moved an inch when Chip, Lance, and the camera man loaded up and hit the road. They managed to burn up the half gallon of gas in the tank and ended up pushing it up to the pump.

Lance isn't a car guy and hadn't ever seen Overhaulin but when he got the car, he was totally stoked. Talked to College the other day and he says Lance wants to drive the car everywhere he goes. He thinks he may just get into the hobby more when he retires.

Although there have been plenty of bugs to work out, this car was done right from top to bottom.

Check out the '70 Mustang on Dec. 14. It came out pretty nice too. Another of the more subtile paint jobs for Chip. The owner truly couldn't afford it. He had to get a storage because he doesn't have a garage.

trapin
12-03-2004, 05:29 AM
Are you talking about the blue fastback with the white shelby stripes on it? Or is this another Mustang?

Air Daddy
12-03-2004, 05:38 AM
- the location is weird, you have this guys shop, and Colvin Automotive in the middle of a quiet neighborhood - .

That is a neat little area where those shops are.

Say, SW! Didn’t you have a tube bender that KC could have used to make that bike rack for Lance?
Oh yea, It was a closed set. Too bad for KC.

If anyone is in the area……..
Lances car will be at the Houston Autorama this weekend.

KUL FIR CHICK N
12-03-2004, 06:47 AM
Tony, the Mustang is the one they did @ SEMA.

That bike rack was rediculous. :barf: It stuck out about a foot and a half before the first rail.

a73formula
12-03-2004, 08:59 AM
I really liked how they had jim butler build the engine and stuck with a true pontiac! I bet that engine is putting out around 600hp, and that black paint job is awesome how deep it looks.

KUL FIR CHICK N
12-03-2004, 02:41 PM
He said the motor makes around 500hp. Its one of their popular "crate" setups. It sounded awesome though. Have you seen the TT Pontiac in his race car making over 3000hp on alcohol?

80z28s6
12-03-2004, 04:07 PM
Any pics of Lance and Sheryl's car out on the web. Thanks guys.

WS6
12-03-2004, 04:21 PM
im not a fan of the show after hearing how they trashed the engine on the 442 they did

i am glad to hear they kept an actual poncho motor under the hood of lance's GTO though

and yeah no more celebrity overhauls thats lame

primate
12-04-2004, 11:07 PM
tlc is really diggin the livestrong craze...
orange county choppers assembled a bike for lance and now overhauling did his gto. next, monster house is goin in there and re doing his house into the tour de france home. ;)

i was suprised chip left the black paint on the outside alone. i am so used to seeing his cars two toned. the only other car i saw that was designed by him with one color is joel rogens sick fish cuda.

i couldnt imagine though. a frame off restification in 7 days. could you imagine the cost? 15 plus people working on your car for 24 hours a day 7 days straight? the overtime would kill me. heck, i cant even afford a rendering, ha ha :)

Tealm0nsta
12-04-2004, 11:14 PM
Joe Rogans cuda was originally red and white. Joe insisted that it be left silver and I think it came out pretty slick.

primate
12-04-2004, 11:22 PM
Joe Rogans cuda was originally red and white. Joe insisted that it be left silver and I think it came out pretty slick.
i agree it looks great, but i think the color scheme foose had in mind would have looked incredible. i know he wanted the body shape to talk for itself instead of having the paint "scream for attention" but what the heck, ya pay a pitbull to create insanity with 4 wheels, and then yank the chain to mute it down? regardless, it is his car, and it looks fantastic. i just would have liked to see it as chip envisioned.

Matt
12-09-2004, 02:02 AM
After all this talk I had to swing by the shop. I met the fellow at the counter, can't recall his name, then went across the street to talk to Chris Johnson and SW. I gotta say since I just sold my turbo import, and I've been a long time appreciator of american muscle I was in heaven. So many gorgeous cars, not to mention nice people.

Found a few pics of it:
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2004/12/70_00233_8-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2004/12/70_00233_9-1.jpg