PDA

View Full Version : wich one would you use and why

copo69
12-02-2004, 09:18 AM
if you were going to drop 800 bucks on a new dash wich one would you use and why?. dakota digital. www.dakotadigital.com or covans classic
www.covansclassic.com . do any of you use one of theese and if so what problems did you have if any ? thank you

hotdog
12-02-2004, 11:40 AM
i would get the dokota. i think it looks alot better.

Midwest Performance
12-02-2004, 12:38 PM
How soon are you looking to get one? I was thinking of changing my dash. I am adding a supercharger and will run higher max RPM :revto9k: than I originally planned(6000) :hand: . It is going to be easier for me to get analog guages than update my digital. Here is a picture. My dash was custom fit and is diffrent than the one that was pictured on their site.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Kevin
1969 Camaro Project My car (http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/442818)

Ralph LoGrasso
12-02-2004, 02:25 PM
Dakota Digital. It's a sweet looking setup.

73novaguy
12-02-2004, 02:53 PM
I would certainly go with the Dakota Digital. Because the Dakota looks sweet as heck and i do beleive an adjustable speedo also! So whenever you change tires or gears you can reprogram it to read the correct MPH reading! At least that is what I hear! Plus i think they have an option to run a shift ligth with the dash cluster. $800 is alot of jing so do what you think! But I have heard that some of the Covans are kinda cheasy lookin and you have to do some fine tuning to get them to fit!

qwik1320
12-02-2004, 07:25 PM
Go with Covan - gotta have real gauges in a muscle car. Those Dakota Digitals remind me of the early TI calculators or "Kitt" the Night Rider car. Wow, I'm really showing my age...

Andrew McBride
12-02-2004, 10:45 PM
I agree with quik1320 covan guages resemble a muscle car guage and just enough style. I like the Dakota set-up with all the options to adjust. Dakota makes me think of the old 80's vettes. Covan is the better look.

Andrew

68LSS1
12-03-2004, 01:47 AM
What engine will you be running? Meaning a modern fuel injected engine or a carb'ed SBC? I went with the Dakota because it simplified things when going with a modern fuel injected engine in a older vehicle. Adjustability for the speedometer like mentioned above, a lamp for the check engine light, the ability to run the speedo/tach without additional boxes, etc. If you are not going this route it comes down to purely a aesthetics thing what do you think looks better? I wish Dakota had a anolog look but the digital capabilities.

KWIKND
12-03-2004, 04:46 AM
Dakota price is just for the cluster right? Another $ 200 for the panel if yours isnt great like mine.
http://www.strangemotion.com/html/whats_happenin.html

Dan

baz67
12-03-2004, 06:02 AM
IMHO early Camaros need real guages. Dakota is nice, but reminds me of street rods.
Brian

baz67
12-03-2004, 06:14 AM
One more thing. I feel it is easier to catch something amis with guages. I know it is easier for me to see if a guage is pointing at the wrong location compaired to where it should be just by looking at it. Think about it this way. Picture a tach with the RPMs climbing. Do you shift at where the pointer should be or an exact RPM? Is it easier to quick look at your guages and read an number or tell where the pointer is. I hope that made sense.
Brian

copo69
12-03-2004, 02:38 PM
i remember tohse calculators texas instruments. like 3 1/2 wide 7 inches high . what was that 1975 i think . dinasours we are :seizure:

gEtyOpAPiOn
12-30-2004, 06:38 PM
from a dakota digital user point of view ...i think they look better hehe ...the covan setup I dont like because it just dont look like it belongs ...almost like a rice rocket tach on your dashboard ....at least the dakota ones give the car a look as if they was always there...but they do have that nerdy look to them lol i must admit lol

here is a pic ...similar to kevin`s ....i bought mine for my 67 camaro but then I found this 69 and abandoned the 67 ..and made them fit into my 69 cluster...its easy and it saves you some bucks hehe ....i bought it when it was 450 i noticed they are more expensive now:

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Steve Chryssos
12-31-2004, 06:21 AM
If it's a real performance car, then you need analog gauges. Otherwise, when you are hauling ass all you will see is a big blur when it counts the most. If you're just gonna putt around at a constant 70mph in overdrive, then you can go digital.

You CAN get a self calibrating analog electronic speedo from Auto Meter. And if the Covan is a turn off--and you have a 69, then the Detroit Speed dash insert is right up your alley.

Ummgawa
12-31-2004, 07:56 AM
I agree with Steve, I went and looked at the Covans housings under construction (25 minutes from where I live) and was not happy with the overall strength of the housing.Now understand, its a nice looking piece when installed. I decided to go with DSE's dash insert for my 69. Its an awesome piece and 100.00 off right now (you are welcome Kyle). Its a deal for the hand made piece.

rbr4155
01-06-2005, 01:31 PM
you want that thing to look like an alarm clock or an asphalt destroying muscle car?

gEtyOpAPiOn
01-06-2005, 04:28 PM
well with the dakota it may look like an alarm clock but with the covan it looks like a rice rocket with a tach screwed into the dashboard ...with the detroit speed then it really gives it the muscle look but not on everyones budget by the time its all put together

Gonzostyle
01-25-2005, 10:23 AM
I would prefer the analog gauges. Mostly because with digital you actually have to READ the gauges. Since your peripheral vision is pretty decent below the horizon line (ie looking straight out), analog gauges allow you to keep your eyes on the road and simply reference the pointer postion. With Digital gauges you would actually have to look at the gauges and therefore take your eyes off the road (or track).
I don't know about using the Covan stuff, there are better solutions I think.
Just my $0.02

-Jeremie

73novaguy
01-25-2005, 04:14 PM
I have changed my mind and now you can have the best of both worlds! Auto Meter has there new Nexus gauges that are analog looking but with digital capabilities. As in they have a anolog face but can also change colors around the perimeter of the gauge! Check them out, they is a whole list of things that can be done with these bad boys and Auto Meters web site has a small intro on them. The gauges themselves are not bad priced (on the same level as the Cobalts), but from what I can tell, you will have to buy a data logger to actually set the gauges to change colors at certain oil pressures (as in to low or to high) or RPMs or any specified limit range for that matter!