PDA

View Full Version : How much have you spent?

protouring70
12-02-2004, 05:16 AM
Hey everybody, I was checking into exhaust prices and was kinda shocked. It has been a while since I've had exhaust ran. So, I'm not up on what it cost.
I was just wanting to get an idea of what it is costing to do a full exhaust.
Thanks ahead of time,
Brent :help:

astroracer
12-02-2004, 05:32 AM
Where are you looking and what are you pricing?
Diameter, material, mandrel or crush bends and manufacturers will make a world of difference in a "package" price.
I usually avoid the "name brand" mail order stuff, especially the complete kits...
Decide what you really need and get some prices from a couple of local muffler shops.
Aluminized tubing will last for a long time and is a third the price of stainless...
Mandrel bends have their place but are they really necessary? Upsizing a "crush bent" system by 1/4 of an inch will usually keep flow numbers the same...
Having a local shop do the work gives you a warranty on parts and installation that mail order doesn't...
Just some things to think about.
Mark

gmachinz
12-02-2004, 07:23 AM
Well, here inthe midwest local custom shop get around "smog laws" whenever they can and usually it's a word of mouth thing. I had exhaust put on my '78 Monte for $270 bucks. That got me 2 1/2" aluminized exhaust from the collectors to the Flowmasters (which I provided) and out the back. They also fabb'ed an H-pipe just behind the tranny crossmember and they tucked the pipes close to the floor ( I lowered the car 4") and they routed them perfectly through the cutout sections of my custom crossmember I ordered for G-bodies with optional tranny swaps. They took extra care because they knew this was a well designed car and they respected that. They did it after hours and the bill they gave me was an invoice for a "1970 Monte Carlo w/ dual exhaust"-I didn't care how they keep track of supplies so long as I can get the exhaust made that I want. Oh yeah-it was all mandrel bent, too. -Jabin

yody
12-04-2004, 09:16 PM
i paid
$400 for uncoated 2" primary super comp BBC headers
$100 for flowmaster 4-2-1 collectors
$150 for ceramic coating headers
$50 for flowmaster ball and socket type of collectors(end of collector where they bolt)
$200 for blowmaster D port crossover setup(inbetween X and H pipe)
$200 for 3" mandrel bent tail pipes
$120 for dynomax ultraflo "3 mufflers
put it all together myself.

LS1-S10
12-05-2004, 05:17 PM
$540 for LS1 weld up kit from Headers By Ed
$170 for Hedman universal X-pipe kit
$280 for Stainless Works Chambered muffler's
$150 for misc. mandrel bends and pipe
$25 for used 2000 Z28 tips

a73formula
12-06-2004, 01:15 PM
$450 for heddman headers/ waiting to jethot coat.
$480 for the tailpipes, mufflers and 3" x pipe system
have not had it welded yet so that will probably be another $100.

protouring70
12-07-2004, 05:15 AM
Hey, thanks for your replies. I had checked at a local shop and the price I got was:
$575
2.5 in Alum. with H pipe, Flowmasters ran completely out back with no tips.
I wasn't sure what the going price was.
Thanks again, Brent
P.S. This is on a '70 Chevelle. Sorry I didn't mention that earlier.