PDA

View Full Version : Flowmaster muffler ???'s

pushrod243
12-01-2004, 06:00 PM
I just installed 3 chamber flowmaster mufflers on my 502 nova. It has Hooker super comp headers and 3" exhaust all the way out to the rear of the wheel wells that point at the ground. I am not sure if i like it yet. I drove it home sounds great idling but pretty docile. I was wondering what most people are running. And if anyone has tried the two chamber mufflers vs. the threes. I had 3" round mufflers on the car b4 I was told they were dynomax but there were like a cherry bomb the were drastically loud. Now i'm at the other end of the spectrum. Anybody got any good ideas. I think im going to try the two chambers and maybetry a crossover pipe. I'm not sure. I like the flowmaster sound just want a tad bit more i think. Maybe these will grow on me.

zbugger
12-01-2004, 07:18 PM
What is the part # on those mufflers? The two chambers are quite a bit louder than the three chambers. The delta flow series is different as well.

Norwoodx55
12-01-2004, 08:52 PM
Pushrod, I just switched from 2 chamber to the 3's, and like the 3's way better. Like Bugger said, there is a huge diff. in the noise level. My ears felt like I just walked out of a rock concert after cruising on the highway with the 2's. I actually would use foam earplugs for the long drives. Now, with the 3's, I can even here the stereo if I want. Try to find someone with the 2's, and go for a highway drive with them. See if it is what you are looking for. By the way, my exhaust is 3" also, I have heard that in 2.5", the 2 chambers aren't too loud.
Brett

dhardison
12-02-2004, 05:13 AM
Pushrod, I originally had a pair of el-cheapo turbos on my 454 Nova and switched to 2-chamber Flowmasters. IMHO they were WAY too loud (and the local cops agreed). Recently I switched to Dynomax Magnum Race welded mufflers and I'm very pleased. At idle they have a deep throaty sound, but not too loud and while cruising they're very bearable (even on long drives). They don't really come "alive" until you stomp it.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=1363&prmenbr=361

HTH,
Dan

pushrod243
12-02-2004, 06:56 PM
yeah these are growing on me it was just so loud before this seems extreme, I hear all kinds of new noises. I drove it about 25 miles tonite my buddys think it sounds great so i guess ill try it this way for a while. Give my eardrums a break. I definitely dont want much louder i think the 2's might be a drastic change.

Thanks Guys John

69bigblock
12-03-2004, 03:28 PM
I have a set of the 3" flowmaster super40's mufflers and I like the way they sound. They do have a deeper sound to them, plus the muffler is a little bigger

73novaguy
12-03-2004, 03:36 PM
I have the 40 series 2 chambers on my 502 Nova. I also run 2 1/8th primaries and a 3 inch collector. The sound is loud to say the least. I don't have any kind of crossover pipe so that makes it worse. Put it this way, if I park the car outside the gas station running and go in to pay for fuel, I can see stuff shaking and vibrating! Makes the lil ole ladies look around the an Apache Helicopter is landing on the store! Go with the 3 chambers you have for street use or like Dan did with the Dynomax's!

Emo69SS
12-03-2004, 04:34 PM
Pushrod-
I have a 383 stroker in my 69 camaro ss convertible and everyone including the custom exhaust shop was pushing me to get the 3 chamber Flowmasters. I had made up my mind that I was connecting Bullet Performance stainless mufflers(2 1/2" system) to the Dynomax headers already in the car. The sound of these mufflers is incredible. They are designed to force the sound out the rear so you can hold a conversation or hear the radio even in a convertible. When the exhaust shop finished installing them, everyone stood around and waited for the car to be started. The reaction from the exhaust shop was that they were going to recommend the Bullet's for the small blocks from now on. Just thought I'd give you something else to consider. Good luck

a73formula
12-06-2004, 01:18 PM
Try the x pipe before changing to a different muffler. I noticed that it was louder on my 455 than without the x pipe.

sanddan
12-06-2004, 03:02 PM
My 69 Camaro with 406SB has the 3 chamber flowmasters with 2 1/2" system all the way. The sound is subtle when not on the throttle but loud when you get on it. No drone what so ever. I had a 69 Chev pickup that had a 396 with the 2 chamber flowmasters and they droned very bad at 2500 to 3000 rpm's. I would stick with the 3 chambers if you drive it a lot.
Dan

Fuelie Fan
12-06-2004, 06:37 PM
I have the flowmaster "crossover" kit (I think that's what you call it), the 2 1/2" with the one big dual in/dual out behind the axle in my Nova. It's decent for long drives, hits a funky resonance at idle, and is pretty freakin loud WOT. I raced my coworker in his 1989 GTA with a hooker system, and he complained afterwards that he was pissed becuase during the race the only thing he heard was MY car. I took it as a compliment :)
The thing I like most about it is that, being tucked up behind the axle I've got tons of ground clearance, and no hanging mufflers hanging down so it looks almost like I don't even have an aftermarket exhaust.
The fit was fair, we had to modify it a little to get it to fit right, but we installed it in the driveway on jackstands.
I'm not sure if I'd go with it again or not, I think I want something a shade mellower actually, and the Walker Dynomax mufflers seems to get pretty good reviews. I've also got another crazy idea that I'm tossing around...

Norwoodx55
12-06-2004, 07:26 PM
Do tell! :secret:

MuscleRodz
12-06-2004, 08:52 PM
When I first got my 68 Camaro on the road I put 2 chamber Flowmasters on rather than the crossover system. I loved the way sounded but they were just too loud. Everybody thought I had a BB in it. It had a 350hp 327 67 Corvette motor in it. I had to turn it off when I went through the drive thru window and hope to god I didn't heat soak the starter with the headers. It also resonated bad as well. It didn't help that it had a big bumpstick in it to. Damn, I wish I was driving it!! :crying:

Mike

zbugger
12-06-2004, 10:32 PM
I have the two chambers on my car. I have them on with a technical crossover. I have them coming out of a single catalytic converter. Anyway, I used to have them without tailpipes. Damn it was loud. My neighbor heard me from three blocks away. It was still louder than my other neighbor's 65 Mustang with 2 chambers. Why is that? It's because I have 2.5" pipes and he only has 2.25" pipes. He does have turndowns though. Now, my car isn't as loud. I installed full length Flowmaster tailpipes. All the way out to the rear bumper. Damned if that didn't make the biggest difference. No more car alarms going off as I drove past. No more funny looks from people in their Mercedes that you couldn't hear with a spy microphone. I used to get thumbs up from the local PD as well. They pulled me over, but it was only for no front plate. They complimented me on how it sounded. Yeah, loud isn't always bad. I like it now though. Not too quiet, but loud enough to get your attention when I pass you. I like the noise. I'm not much of fan of super quiet cars. Then again, if it had insane power and didn't look built, I'd probably faint.

indyjps
12-07-2004, 08:37 AM
i had a set of warlocks on my 70 camaro drag car, they had a flow thru flange that could be unbolted. there was very little difference corked and uncorked. dont have the part #, i bought them @ a swap meet for cheap. i dont recommend them for a street car but they served my purposes on the strip well.

Fuelie Fan
12-07-2004, 12:28 PM
But if I tell, somebody else will do it first, since I'm a lazy-a** and won't get around to it until 2020! J/K It's not actually that crazy, just something I haven't heard of anyone else doing:

I had heard that the big crossover muffler is really just two 2-chambers butted together. Whether this is true or not I don't know, but it got me thinking...
since I like the way my current system mounts but I'm not really in love with the way it sounds, I could perhaps duplicate it physically by getting two late-model corvette mufflers (which have the ins and outs on the same side) and butt the two closed ends together to make one big muffler. THey're on ebay dirt cheap. The only hurdle is that corvette mufflers actually have one inlet and TWO outlets per muffler, which kind of messes things up, but with a little creativity you could bring the two back into one, not the end of the world. And, I think there are aftermarket mufflers for vettes with a single outlet (corsa, for example), and there was another thread a while back about a system that exited in front of the rear wheel that also had a similar muffler layout that could be used.

Norwoodx55
12-07-2004, 08:57 PM
Sort of a 4 chamber set-up huh? I like.