PDA

View Full Version : G Machine Cop car Help please

mopork
12-01-2004, 02:35 PM
I have a '71 Dodge Coronet Police car that I plan to modify in the Pro Touring look, I have the suspension/brakes worked out now. I need help with ideas for the wheels/tires and the paint scheme especially. I can't afford a professional to do the artwork. Any of you guys have ideas that would be cool for paint scheme and the right wheel/tire combo would be a great help. Thanks guys :help:

http://www.angelfire.com/wy/moparpages/71azcoronet.html

Bill Howell
12-01-2004, 07:33 PM
Since it is a four door and started life as a patrol car, why not paint it black and white and give it that slick top patrol car look.A modern day "Blues Brothers" ride. 18 Torque Thrust IIs, but then thats what I always say.Those wheels on the mopar that was on rides(see thread in open discussion) would be killer too.

Ralph LoGrasso
12-01-2004, 09:49 PM
Welcome to the site! I agree with Bill, I'd go with the original patrol car paint scheme, maybe just leave the police lettering off so you don't get in trouble. What size wheels and tires are you planning, and what's your approximate budget? How about a nice set of billet wheels? A 17/18" FR/RR combo would look cool and function well. Maybe something along the line of these Budniks.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Or if you want to go more high end, consider a 3 piece forged wheel.

mopork
12-02-2004, 02:47 PM
46yearold, Thanks Yes I was thinking of the LAPD black and white paint job but was trying to think of a way to "modernize" it, maybe with a fake type logo on the white doors etc..

Ralph thanks I do like the look of those wheels as for the budget that depends on how much I can get by the wife. Do you think I could get those wheels and powder coat them black ? That would show off the 14" discs brakes. I am open to any other ideas anyone has, Thanks alot guys

P.S. I am a Police Officer so No worries there.

mopork
12-02-2004, 03:02 PM
Ralph is that the GTX wheel ? Anyone have any ideas on modernizing the interior ? the stock interior is plain bench seats with two tone blue vinyl and plastic with black rubber floor mat instead of carpet.

Ralph LoGrasso
12-02-2004, 09:03 PM
Yup, I believe it is the Budnik GTX4. I'm sure you could get them and powdercoat them, but Budnik may be able to do it for you. Jon from Budnik posts here, hopefully he will see this and be able to answer. I think the black wheels on a black and white car would look bitchin' and the 14" discs behind them would look great. You'll have to do 18s for the 14" brakes, but they will definitely fill them up completely.

As for the interior, how about a set of black leather seats out of some sort of late model car. 4th gen T/A and Camaro seats are really nice, but it's all personal preference really. Add some black carpet and a nice set of gauges to finish it off.

The fact that you're a cop solidifies the need for the patrol car paint scheme. That would be too cool.

Bill Howell
12-02-2004, 09:20 PM
Instead of police lettering maybe you could modify the pro-touring logo (with Larry's ok of course) and be the offical pro-touring patrol car. Look at the p-t shirts for logo and add patrol at bottom. Just a thought. Nothing better than a patrol car doing a burnout for the crowd.

David Pozzi
12-02-2004, 11:18 PM
A buddy used to have a late 70's ex-California Highway Patroll car, the liscense plate read: PIG IRON :)

mopork
12-03-2004, 06:08 AM
Thanks for the ideas guys keep it coming

How about RICE PATROL :headbang:

I don't want to steal anyone's logo I need one of my own.

Ralph, I think I like the Budnik Prism 5 & the Hammer a little better the Prism 5 may go better with a 5 point star on the door with some type of logo. I think maybe tan leather (black is very hot in summer) with modern buckets, 71 charger instrument panel for the sunken round guages, integrated console (with all the radio gear,donut box and coffee holder etc..) and black carpet. Is that ok idea ?

Wheels I'm thinking Budnik Prism 5 in 18x7 front with Nitto 255/45x18 and rear 18x9.5 with Nitto 295/45x18 powdercoated gloss black.

David Pozzi my plate will read MO PORK

Thanks again for all the good ideas please keep them coming

Hank

psybock
12-11-2004, 02:07 AM
Hey Mopork...

I'm a "real deal" car designer, and I would be glad to help you out, free of charge, cause your project sounds neat. I tried to look at pics of your car, but the link didn't work. I just moved to California about a year and a half ago to joing an Asian car company (booo! hisss!), before that I was working in the advanced studio for Genereal Motors in Detroit. I've worked on many concept cars, and a few production programs.

I wouldn't be able to help you untill the middle of January, cause I'm out of the country untill then for work. Lemme know if you're interested.

Marc

psybock
12-11-2004, 06:14 AM
oh, and another thing.... there's a guy cruising around southern california with an old American sedan (I think it's a buick) all flat black with a monstrous looking motor in it that has "rice patrol" written on it's doors... I'll try to find pics of him. Funny stuff!

mopork
12-11-2004, 11:35 AM
Marc,

Thank you I will definitely take you up on the offer because of my status as a poor cop. :bananna2: I appreciate it very much, what would you need to get started ? Will the Asian car company have a fit if you design a american car ?

Thanks again

Hank

TonyL
12-11-2004, 12:05 PM
If im not mistaken the coronet has the small bolt circle on the wheels. check wheel vintiques (www.wheelvintiques.com) out.

they have these 17" simulated ralleys that you could powdercoat the center of.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif how cool would that be?

mopork
12-11-2004, 12:10 PM
the bolt circle for most B body muscle cars is 5 lug 4.5" Yes those will fit but they are rally wheels used on challengers and cudas. I would love to have a 17 or 18 inch mopar police wheel the late model ones with the 5 slots.

TonyL
12-11-2004, 12:22 PM
here's a quick and dirty chop of what it would look like.

TonyL
12-11-2004, 12:24 PM
oh. well then. you want stockton wheel.
yes? they come up to 17x10
www.stocktonwheel.com

mopork
12-11-2004, 12:26 PM
WOW those are the ones ! Good job tony

TonyL
12-11-2004, 12:29 PM
with the "cop" wheels

psybock
12-11-2004, 06:01 PM
mopork, no my studio doens't care what I do outside work hours, besides, helping you out with your personal ride is a lot different than helping out the Dodge studios!
All I would need is for you to send me an email with some good photos of your car, and then give me an idea of what wheels you think you want, any ideas you have for graphics... are you looking just for a two tone paint job, or something more involved? do you want me to come up with some logos? (if so, you need to know before hand how you will go about getting these on the car... paying some guy to paint them on, or having a shop make you vinyl stickers... what level of customization you plan to do to the body (if any, like any old nascar aero parts, or shaved door handles, trick tail lights, new hood, or whatever you are thinking about) what colors you would consider and what ones you are not interested in... and I'll get back to you with some rough sketches, and we can chat about it over the phone at that point. Then, when we are set on one idea, I'll make you some renderings worthy of any publication out there! Just remember that I won't be able to start on this until after the holidays...

mopork
12-11-2004, 06:45 PM
psybock,

I beleive in a few months when DC releases the new Charger there will be new design openings at DC for designers that thing is fugly.

mopork
01-29-2006, 05:54 PM
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2006/01/carlsile-1.jpg

mopork
01-29-2006, 05:55 PM
mmm

DeltaT
01-30-2006, 03:12 PM
Get door shields made up that say "To Detect and Swerve"!

4DRs can be a real blast. They are automatically lo-key. Your is a real nice body style to do.

Jim

mopork
01-31-2006, 04:43 PM
thanks that is very good idea :headbang: keep them coming

Hank

mopork
02-06-2006, 05:20 PM
OH I forgot to thank psybock from the above posts he offered to draw up some free renderings. I got exactly what I paid for and would like to thank psybock for the drawings that he never did, THANKS for all your help. :headbang:

formula
02-08-2006, 08:28 PM
just a couple quick rough idears i sketched up...

i think your idea for the car could potentially be awesome. keep up the good work and keep us updated!

mopork
02-09-2006, 07:55 PM
FORMULA,

Thanks alot guy, those are very good ideas and thanks for taking the time to do them. :twothumbs I was thinking of doing a black and white LAPD style (doors/roof white-front fenders/hood,quarters black) but I wanted some way to update and modernize that paint scheme so it would be instantly recognized as a police car from a distance but on closer inspection it was a more modern/hotrod look.

Thanks

Hank

srh3trinity
02-09-2006, 08:37 PM
I like the second of Formula's renderings, and I really like the shield idea that somebody posted that would say "to protect and swerve" very clever. This is an awesome project though.

Bill Howell
02-09-2006, 08:53 PM
Out of curiousity Hank, where did you fine such a clean 71 police car. My dad was a deputy back in 71 and had a new patrol car that year. The abuse patrol cars take while in service, I can not believe how good your car looks in the pictures. It must have been in a warehouse and forgotten or something. Anyway, looks like a cool project.

mopork
02-09-2006, 09:29 PM
Bill,

That is new paint in the picture. The car was originally AZ highway patrol car # B234 I bought it from a guy who towed it to ILL, he got a BB Challenger and sold the Coronet to me. I drove it from ILL to MD overnight it ran well but was leaking oil because two rear exhaust studs were missing. There was no rust when i got it, just 1 big dent and door dings. It was an in service patrol vehicle until it reached 60k and was sold at auction to an elderly couple. I just got very lucky.

How about Donut Dodge

formula
02-10-2006, 08:01 PM
FORMULA,

Thanks alot guy, those are very good ideas and thanks for taking the time to do them. :twothumbs I was thinking of doing a black and white LAPD style (doors/roof white-front fenders/hood,quarters black) but I wanted some way to update and modernize that paint scheme so it would be instantly recognized as a police car from a distance but on closer inspection it was a more modern/hotrod look.

Thanks

Hank

Right, that's what i was kinda swingin for. Did I stray too far from the mark? I can do more, as you'd like. just let me know what you think should be changed from either one of the ones I posted. maybe something more like this?

mopork
02-10-2006, 08:23 PM
Formula,

Thanks that one is just perfect, good job, I like that one best. :twothumbs

Do you have any ideas for the door shield ? donut dodge etc...

Hank

70cuda
02-11-2006, 05:19 AM
How about black on the vertical surfaces, and white just on the top? Just have them meet at the body line at the top of the fenders and follow to the back. Maybe divided by a silver pinstripe? I think that would retain the black and white cop car look, but be more modern like you're after.

mopork
02-11-2006, 07:31 AM
Hey Cuda,

That's a good idea I will try it out on paper. :twothumbs

Thanks

mopork
02-11-2006, 11:08 AM
nnn

mopork
02-11-2006, 11:09 AM
mmm

71dusterdan
11-22-2006, 06:45 PM
Hank, hey buddy i decided to check at p-t.com, it had been a while. I really loved all the renderings of your car. These guys really stepped up and did a stellar job. Nice job Formula and Tony!!!!!!!. I cant wait until we can get together and post a picture of my nasty lawbreaker, getting pulled over by you and mopork. I'll bring the donuts, hahahaha love ya bro. I'll be in moline again working on it, I'll make sure i've got enough good pics for ya to send a disc before the end of the month. Later Dan.
P.S. By the way if you guys could get a hold of me with some rendering ideas, i would be more than happy to warm up my lips, for some serious AS"P" kissing. thanks

nekkidhillbilly
12-05-2006, 09:53 PM
hazzard co so

but id paint it pale blue put a huge antenna on the back and make it look like d unit car

1sick65
12-06-2006, 07:28 AM
I have an idea on a paint scheme for the car. How about a Bufford T. Justice tribute. :headbang:

6'9"Witha69
12-06-2006, 09:02 AM
I have an idea on a paint scheme for the car. How about a Bufford T. Justice tribute. :headbang:Give me a Diablo sandwich, and a Dr.Pepper!!

1sick65
12-06-2006, 09:23 AM
Give me a Diablo sandwich, and a Dr.Pepper!!

There is no way, NO way that you came from my loins. The first thing I'm gonna do when I get home is punch your momma in the mouth.

mopork
12-09-2006, 12:53 PM
I have an idea on a paint scheme for the car. How about a Bufford T. Justice tribute. :headbang:

Buford's car was a Pontiac in the original movie

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2006/12/rear1-1.jpg

nekkidhillbilly
12-11-2006, 11:43 PM
Buford's car was a Pontiac in the original movie

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2006/12/rear1-1.jpg

yep a pontiac you could build a chips cruiser, dukes of hazzard, or an unmarked kinda like the dirty hairy car

mopork
12-13-2006, 03:01 PM
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2006/12/finished-1.jpg