PDA

View Full Version : Need a how to

Ricoch3T
01-22-2007, 08:13 PM
Whats the best way to go about making some boxes to cover my 4 bar setup?
I've tried making something similar to what the ones look like that DSE has with the quadra link but they never turn out very well. Mine are longer obviously b/c I'm using a parallel setup.
I can make the boxes on my metal brake, which is the easy part. The part I can't seem to get is the front section with the curve in it. I've seen some people on here a while back that had some that looked pretty good but I can't seem to duplicate it and patch it back to the stock floor without it looking bad. I was going for the "factory" look when they are put back in.

Any ideas?

Ricoch3T
01-26-2007, 10:54 AM
hmmm... well I guess I'll have to figure out something. I think there are a couple sheet metal places online I can supply measurements or something too.

parsonsj
01-26-2007, 11:00 AM
Can you describe the problem a bit better? Or even better than that, show us a pic of what you want covered?

Have you looked at my "Floor" section on my website? There might be an idea there for you.

jp

http://www.iimuchfabrication.com/Floor/

Ricoch3T
01-26-2007, 01:03 PM
All I can say is WOW to your floor! Very nice work!
Basically I just need a box to cover the 4 bar bars that come into the rear seat area of the camaro. I can bend the basic box portion of it but the front always looks like crap and what I'd like to do is make a seamless joint back into the floor pan. Right now it is just lap welded in there and then layed on the inside of the frame rail.

If you look at the DS&E site at the quadra link, they have some plates that cover the top bar mounting points that (looks like) they weld right back into the stock rear seat pan I wanted something similar on my setup they just need to be longer since I'm running a parallel 4 bar instead of the triangular setup.

I might have a picture somewhere, but i'm not much of a picture person so I'm limited!

Ricoch3T
01-26-2007, 01:15 PM
Checked out your whole website, wish I could get my sheetmetal to look like yours when I'm done with it. I get frustrated when I get complex round edges and stuff.. I suppose you are tig welding it together? I use the mig but I havn't gotten to the point of making a "nice" joint yet. I tried my tig welder on some sheet metal a few times but I always burn through. Btw... are you going to finish the welds with a sandpaper wheel or anything or keep them as they are?

http://www.detroitspeed.com/images/Rear%20Suspension/quadra_link_pic.jpg
hopefully that link will work. The cover that is on the top two bars is something that I need. Mine go further into the seat pan area though, but its the same idea.

parsonsj
01-26-2007, 02:23 PM
Hey, thanks. I left all the welds (butt joints) as they were. You can't see 'em anymore as the interior is nearly done.

I'd make your sheetmetal pieces by:
1. Make the profile piece (side pieces). You'll need 4 (two per upper bar). Use thin cardboard or delrin sheet (the cat's meow is to use clear plastic, that way you can see through it as you work it out) as a template.
2. Tack them into place, then make the top edge. Make a template, transfer it to sheetmetal.
3. Tack it into place, using the side pieces to help you bend the top along the right radius.
4. Cut the tacks out of the side piece so you can remove it from the car.
5. Fully weld the tops to the sideds from the inside, using a stitching technique on MIG welder.
6. Grind/sand smooth the corners on the outside, so that you get a smooth radius on the transition.
7. Weld the finished pieces back into place in side the car.

Check out this pic, and look on the left side for something similar:
http://www.iimuchfabrication.com/Tanks/photos/More%20fuel%20tank%20030.html

jp

Ricoch3T
01-26-2007, 02:36 PM
yea, thats pretty much the idea.. I'll give it a try, I've been trying to bend the back piece, then make the front piece seperate and weld it together and finish it to look like one piece.... I dunno why I didn't think of it as seperate pieces. THANKS for the help!!

I'm still amazed at your metal work by the way. Looks so nice, what kind of tools are you using to cut and bend that stuff into place?

parsonsj
01-26-2007, 02:44 PM
I ended up with a bunch of sheet metal tools. I used an air nibbler, hand shear, jigsaw, homemade brake, bead roller. By far the best tools for sheetmetal cutting is a bandsaw and bench belt sander. If you are going to be doing a lot of sheet work you ought to get them. Check out John Ulaszek's site for plans for converting a Ridgid wood band saw (the basic Home Cheapo special) to metal. That's how I did it.

http://www.x1nova.com/Tools.html

jp

Ricoch3T
01-26-2007, 04:39 PM
I really appreciate the information! I might have to get the bandsaw thing from hd.. I have the bead roller (don't use it much b/c I normally do stock floor pans and just modify and patch what I cut out of them), electric sheers and a brake. My fav and by far the easiest for me to cut straight lines are the sheers, although sometimes I mess that up pretty good too. I'd like to get my metal work to the caliber of yours sometime b/c a couple other projects I plan on doing are more than likely going to require custom floors, if not at least more cutting stock ones and doing them.
I'm practicing so hopefully I'll get there! Thanks again for the help, i'll prolly have more question for ya sometime but I'll leave you alone for now.
Adam