PDA

View Full Version : New guy w/ a truck

Tealm0nsta
11-30-2004, 11:05 PM
I know I'll probably get beat w/ a stick but I'm here and proud of what I'm working on. So I'm open to suggestions, flames or just roll your eyes and hit the back button.
I built a very solid 4th gen camaro a few years back that had more suspension tricks than I could ever list and it held its own on track days against Z06's and full on race cars. I'm sure I won't get to that level w/ this truck but its fun trying.
The truck still needs a stiffer front spring and a better ratio steering box. Most of all it needs some 17/18" rims and better rubber.
The truck makes 340 to the tires and I plan to try my luck autoXing it in the spring.
1981 GMC originally a silver 6 cylinder 3spd
57 Chevy Turquoise
5" spindle/spring drop in the front w/ bilstein shocks all around
4" shackle spring drop in the rear
1.5" front sway bar, 3/4" rear bar
ES poly mounts anywhere I could use them, cab, control arms, trans
700r4 w/ lock up (hey, this thing came w/ a turbo 350)
355 w/ forged pistons, scat crank, 11:1 compression, ported ZZ4 heads, Comp XE274 cam, Comp Magnum rockers, Vic Jr intake, 750 dbl pumper, Flowtech headers/mufflers
12 bolt rear w/ 3.08 gears(waiting on 3.73s)
B&M Pro-Stick floor shifter
73 Camaro 130mph Speedo
I upgraded the rear brakes to the heavy duty series drums but can't afford a disc conversion just yet and the fronts have stock rotors/calipers w/ PF Z rated pads, it stops as good as the new Dodge Ram I had w/ 4 wheel discs, but its still a long ways off from stopping on a dime.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Salt Racer
12-01-2004, 09:43 AM
...I built a very solid 4th gen camaro a few years back that had more suspension tricks than I could ever list and it held its own on track days against Z06's and full on race cars. I'm sure I won't get to that level w/ this truck but its fun trying....

That's all it matters. I did a track day in my '65 Buick Riviera. When I showed up at the track, people were looking at me like "what the hell is this guy thinking?" - it actually is nuts driving a 4300-lb full size car on a road course. But by the end of the day, I pulled respectable lap time (for my car) and gained some respect from a couple of fellow racers.

Looks like a fun project. Welcome to the board.

Tealm0nsta
12-01-2004, 09:54 AM
Thanks,
I really like the Rivi. I've been looking for one for a while but any time I find one something keeps me from getting it.
I just wanted to see how far I can take a pig of a truck on a moderate budget.

BlazerSpeed
12-01-2004, 11:08 AM
damn nice truck you got there, and dont worry your among friends. there are several of us on here that hve something other than first gen camaros, and g-bodies :3rd:

to name a few, me, astroracer, myclone, blazer4corners, we all have different rides...
DEREK

Piet
12-01-2004, 12:48 PM
Nice Ride... I am a "car" nut...
... better yet, an automotive enthusiast.

If it has a motor.... I think it is cool. Glad to see a different perspective on the Pro-Touring style.

Welcome!

Ralph LoGrasso
12-01-2004, 02:08 PM
Welcome to the site!! Your truck looks awesome and the mods sound great!

Tealm0nsta
12-01-2004, 03:18 PM
Thanks guys. I'm already trying to plot out some more mods to do over the next few months before power tour. This year I took my super bee hemi 2003 ram and can't wait to take something that fits the mood a little better.