PDA

View Full Version : suspension info

Nate K
01-21-2007, 06:01 AM
I am looking for a book or program that will help in designing a three link for my 71 dart. I would like to be able to measure my car and from there be able to figure out a good baseline setup of the bars and springs.

High Plains Mopars
01-21-2007, 10:41 AM
I'd recommend this;
http://www.ssapubl.com/product.aspx?nbr=LMSPKG

While it deals specifically with GM stub, stock car racing chassis building, it has a lot of information about a variety of rear suspension designs, how to set them up as well as how to construct them.

The book also has a lot of great information about front suspension geomtery and design that will help you understand what you have to start with and what impact your changes will create. Just don't forget that GM springs rates do not equal Mopar t-bar rates until everything is translated to a wheel rate. However, if your swapping out your front end also, it won't matter anyway.

Personally, I'd recommend just sticking with the stock style set up and optimizing the rates. The mopar design is excellent to begin with and unless you are competing in an unlimited competition class, you aren't going to gain a whole lot by changing everything over. If you need some adjustability, adding a leaf spring pivot to the front leaf spring eye and adding a panhard bar with adjustable mounts will give you as much ability to dial in the suspension as any other suspension design.