PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used these turbo manifolds?

Gordz32
01-20-2007, 11:16 PM
I was just browsing on ebay and I came across these turbo manifolds. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SBC-T3-T4-Turbo-Headers-Camaro-Firebird-SB-Chevy_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33631QQihZ005QQit emZ150081244455QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I can't imagine that these are any good? It says there stainless, General fit, but to build these, isn't the material alone more expensive, not to mention the labor(tig welding). I'm thinking of building my own headers and then trying out some turbo manifolds for a BBC. Any advice?

camcojb
01-21-2007, 07:29 AM
they have come up on other car boards. Obviously the materials to build a set that will last are much more than what they sell these for, so it's pretty easy to figure out their quality and how long they'll last.

Jody

andrewb70
01-21-2007, 07:56 AM
Its all a matter of expectation. No doubt a well made set of headers costing $2000 will last longer and give better performance. If a $200 set of headers last you a year, you can replace them annually for 9 years and still be ahead. The SSAutochrome stuff is made out of cheap overseas stainless of unknown quality or grade. Not sure where they are actually welded.

Andrew

Gordz32
01-21-2007, 11:16 AM
just as I thought! thanks fellas

Texas Hotrod
01-23-2007, 06:56 PM
When I started building Alex's car, he sent me pics of many different turbo headers. Everything I looked at was trash. Just by eye-balling a pic, I could see that flanges were crooked and turbo mounting flanges weren't straight.
I don't see how a generic/non vehicular specific turbo header would even fit w/o any interference issues. For good results that will be pleasant to the eye, a custom set will be needed.

Instead of spending countless hours building another set of headers, I plan to use ram-horn manifolds. Then plumb in a custom y-pipe and a single turbo on my 68 Camaro. At least that's the plan for now.