PDA

View Full Version : 4L65e-will it bolt up to a 406 sbc?

Dan Sherwood
01-19-2007, 01:24 PM
I have a built 4L65e coming out of my 01 C3 awd truck (I'm selling) and I am curious what kind of hassle it would be to get it in my 69 camaro behind the 406 sbc? Thx!

Texas Hotrod
01-24-2007, 07:45 PM
The LS model tranny will bolt up to early blocks. I have a 5.3 Tahoe engine that I use for mock-up and bolted an old '60s bell housing w/a Muncie to it w/no issues. W/the exception of one bolt hole out of location, it all lines up. You could probably drill out the one bolt hole if you measure carefully.
The LS tranny uses a "metric" torque converter that won't line up w/the older flex plates. I'm sure someone makes a conversion flywheel by now that's balanced for the 406 (externally balanced 406???) and fits the the LS tranny. If your 406 is balanced internally I believe the stock LS flex plate will work (but I'm not 100% sure).

All of the electronic trannies need a computer to control trans functions. Check Jegs to see what's available. Expect to spend $600+/-on a tranny computer. Once it's tuned it will be flawless. It would be a cool set-up.

Any chance of making the Camaro AWD ?

myclone
01-25-2007, 03:27 AM
I have a built 4L65e coming out of my 01 C3 awd truck (I'm selling) and I am curious what kind of hassle it would be to get it in my 69 camaro behind the 406 sbc? Thx!

Unless youre making the 69 AWD the trans will need to be torn down and the output shaft changed to a RWD piece.

Dan Sherwood
01-27-2007, 08:37 PM
No awd camaros in my future. Trying to get my current 3 projects under financial control or sell some.

myclone
01-27-2007, 11:17 PM
No awd camaros in my future. Trying to get my current 3 projects under financial control or sell some.

If thats the case then the trans has to be disassembled almost completely to change the output shaft to a RWD piece. Not a huge deal to do but its not something youd want to do either.

Firehawkslp
01-29-2007, 04:36 PM
Your 406 is going to have a 2pc. Rr, main seal. The bolt hole pattern (at the crank) is differnet than the later 1 Pc. i.e. larger. While the 86(?) and later full round 1Pc. Rr. cranks have some external balance, it doesn't match the balance of the 400's. :) :6gears:

Jayco_Automotive
01-31-2007, 06:54 PM
The kit hed would need to conver the electronic to manual controls can be gotten from www.transgo.com part number 46-mod

Dan Sherwood
02-26-2007, 08:01 PM
thx for the replies guys. Sounds like waay more work than I want to get into. We finally got the 200r4 to work/shift properly. Seems the govenor was installed w/o the o ring on it. works much better with a new one that has the o ring on it. Imagine that? Now will it last?

Hey bow tie od's-if you're listening--quality control fellas.

Steve Chryssos
02-27-2007, 06:50 AM
The kit hed would need to conver the electronic to manual controls can be gotten from www.transgo.com part number 46-mod

The electronics are the fun part. That would be like spending money to convert your new Dell PC into a typewriter.

EFI69Cam
02-27-2007, 08:02 AM
The electronics are the fun part. That would be like spending money to convert your new Dell PC into a typewriter.

:rotfl: Well said sir.