PDA

View Full Version : Any opinions on my LS1 build so far?

KoolKruser
01-19-2007, 12:18 AM
For the most part Im leaving the engine stock just a few bolt ons. The car is a 1968 RS Camaro and the engine and trans is a 2002 LS1 and 4L60E trans with only 33k miles.

Parts:
Ron Davis radiator
220/220 with a 116 LSA and a .581 lift Cam
Dart 205 heads
Hooker Super Comp LS1 engine swap headers for first gens.
3.73 gears in the rear 12 Bolt

With the basic parts listed above should I be putting in larger injectors? Am I REALLY blowing it by not switching out the stock intake, throttle-body and MAF? Ive been told that the gains dont justify the cost by changing the intake.

Im having Steve Heino at McGee's/Modern Performance do all the work, heres a link:
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/116_0405_camaro_engine_swap/index.html

Any thoughts or opinions I would appreciate.

joeljet
01-19-2007, 08:26 AM
these questions are better asked over on ls1tech.com in the conversions and hybrids section lots of good info over there. but for your original question you should be okay, just have your tuner double check your injector duty cycle.

Rybar
01-19-2007, 08:29 AM
Sounds pretty good, I was told the same about the LS6 intake. I kept mine and had my stock TB ported by Shaner. Seems like your cam is on the smallish side. Are you planning a supercharger in the future? I would go at least a 224/224 on a 114 with an A4. And don't forget to upgrade your timing chain, sprockets, get a ported LS6 oil pump and some chromolly pushrods.

Also, you might be on the limit with stock injectors. You could go with 30 # or 36 #'s and just make sure you retune for them.

KoolKruser
01-19-2007, 12:02 PM
Yeah the cam isnt huge but Im looking for a good daily driver kind of car that still idles well.

I might be looking to put a supercharger on it later, for now Im just looking for decent reliable power. That and the $6k is a bit high too, its cool but pricey.

And yes, new timing chain and sprockets oil pump and chromolly pushrods are all ordered up.

How much better is the ported LS6 oil pump?

Rybar
01-19-2007, 12:11 PM
My 233/239 112 cam drives very well, but I do have a 6-speed. I know guys with a cam your size that now want to step up larger. You will be better off for emmisions however. I'm sure a 224/224 114 cam would drive fine with the auto. Check www.LS1tech.com (http://www.LS1tech.com) just in case.

The stock oil pump is known to not flow very well when performance mods are done, ie higher rpm levels. The ported LS6 pump is what most guys use when doing cam or H/C swaps more for insurance reasons etc. Again, do a few searches on ls1tech and have a read.