PDA

View Full Version : AWD kits

F70t/a
11-29-2004, 08:27 PM
Is there any sites that sell AWD kits? I'm in the works of planning out a full frame for my bird and I always wanted a AWD muscle car. :git: If no kits are out there is there any parts I could use or any helpful links? Also any computer programs to design a frame would be nice. thanks :)

Also you could e-mail me if you have any suggestions

myclone
11-29-2004, 09:31 PM
I dont know how serious you are about an AWD set up in an F body but us Syclone/Typhoon ppl have been using one since the vehicles rolled off the dealers lot. To answer your question I dont know of anyone that offers an even remotely bolt in-able AWD set up as it would take a tremendous amount of R&D to offer it for just one type of vehicle.

FWIW you may want to look into the Syclone, Typhoon, and Bravada as they share the same AWD driveline. Also everything is the same among those vehicles and the common S10 4wd trucks/SUVs except for the shiftable 4wd front diff and transfer case (that equals cheap driveline parts). The AWD transfer case is a viscous coupled unit that splits the torque 35/65% front and rear and is used in the syclone, typoon, bravada, and AWD astro van. The front diff is the same unit as the 4wd S trucks except for the pass side axle tube having the 2wd/4wd shift mechanism on regular S trucks. This is easily changed for use as an AWD unit by unbolting the regular 4wd axle tube and replacing it with the AWD unit. Thats the super quicky over view of AWD systems Im familiar with that I thought may fit with only a slightly huge amount of work.

Lots of info at www.syty.net forum if you want to kill some time.

F70t/a
11-29-2004, 09:57 PM
Ya i didnt think that they made bolt on kits for f-bodys. I just figured they made some for hotrods. I know i seen hotrods with awd. Anyways thanks for the link. I do have time to kill :idea: thanks again

myclone
11-30-2004, 05:07 AM
Ya i didnt think that they made bolt on kits for f-bodys. I just figured they made some for hotrods. I know i seen hotrods with awd. Anyways thanks for the link. I do have time to kill :idea: thanks again

If youre talking about the Summit Quadra deuce(sp?) it uses a syclone transfer case and a few other components as well as custom front axles and suspension. My understanding is other than the xfer case and a few other do dads being syclone pieces the rest is hand fabricated. Dunno for sure as thats just what Ive read in the typical HRM/CC rags.

derekf
11-30-2004, 06:37 AM
Heard the new Jeep Cherokee is AWD with a Hemi - which might make for some interesting swaps. Haven't done any sort of research into it though, no money or time.

F70t/a
11-30-2004, 11:03 AM
If youre talking about the Summit Quadra deuce(sp?) it uses a syclone transfer case and a few other components as well as custom front axles and suspension. My understanding is other than the xfer case and a few other do dads being syclone pieces the rest is hand fabricated. Dunno for sure as thats just what Ive read in the typical HRM/CC rags.

Do you have any pics of the stuff? I dont mind doing alot of fab work. I rather build the custom stuff then try to make just stuff bolt up. Make it fit the way I want it. thanks again guys :secret:

BlazerSpeed
11-30-2004, 11:19 AM
Sy/Ty does have a very large amount of good information, although I've found it to be similar to corner carvers, alot of arrogence if you dont ask the proper questions. In anycase, we had this topic on here before, started adding up all the costs, labor hours etc, it almost seemed more effort than it is worth. if you are serios about it, keep in mind that the xfer cases along with the front diffs, are no small object, there would be a very large amount of time and money that would go into the design just to get it to look proper...although the idea of the Olds Toronado from the sixties just poped into my head...oh well. MyClone, I was testing my truck and the rate seemed closer to 40/60 for the standard 91 S10 4x4 Tahoe, although I have done some work to the drivetrain, so that could be the reasoning. Something I was also curious about as I do not own a typhoon/syclone, how much different is your system from a manually shifted 4x4 setup, aside from being AWD? and if you know, is there a major difference in the Torsion Bar setup of the front suspension between the blazer and typhoon?
haha sorry to be a post wh*re... :wedgie:
DEREK

myclone
11-30-2004, 04:38 PM
F70t/a,

I dont have any pics of the quadra duece but Summit Racing owns and Troy Trepanier(sp?) did some work on it in the last couple of years so there may be detailed pics at one of their sites. Im sure googling "quadra duece" would turn up something.

BlazerSpeed,

Sorry you had a bad experience with the syty forum but keep in mind that we (we=syty ppl) get the "how do I install a syty drive train in my S10, Blazer, riding mower, etc" prolly twice a week. Its gotten to the point that if someone posts something like that they get pounced on. On behalf of the non arrogant/knuckle headed sytyers out there accept my apologies :) .

As for the manually shifted 4wd vs AWD syty systems they are totally different animals. The AWD system uses a viscous clutch to couple the front and rear drivelines where as the 4wd units are direct coupled via gears.

Think of the AWD xfer case having a miniature torque converter inside that via fluid dynamics sends power to the front drive shaft. The 4wd units one the other hand have gears that mesh when the xfer case shifter is moved from 2wd to 4wd and the front drive shaft is now mechanically connected to the rest of the drive line.

The viscous coupling is used for drivability issues due to the front wheels turning at different speeds/radiuses than the rear when you turn a corner. If youve ever had a 4wd truck on pavement while it was in 4wd and made a sharp turn at low speed you can feel the binding of the driveline. That would be unacceptable road manners not to mention its hard on driveline parts so the AWD xfer case allows some differences in front and rear driveline speed so you can turn a corner without it feeling like the truck has 4 square wheels LOL.

HTH