PDA

View Full Version : Ls1/Tremec tech needed

dennis68
11-29-2004, 08:16 PM
OK, after hanging out over at LS1tech.com for too long (thanks alot Tony) I have decided running anything but a 500RWHP LS1 is a waste of time, it's just too damn easy. Problem is I really like my mech clutch linkage and Tremec TKO. I can figure out a way to keep the clutch linkage if there is a way to run the Tremec and a push style cltuch. Has anybody messed with this yet or all we all just running T56's with hydraulic setups? I already posted at LS1, I'm guessing the youngens are stratching their head saying huh, there is another manual tranny besides a T56?

Nine Ball
11-29-2004, 09:20 PM
OK, after hanging out over at LS1tech.com for too long (thanks alot Tony) I have decided running anything but a 500RWHP LS1 is a waste of time, it's just too damn easy.

:headbang:

If the bolt pattern on your tranny is the same as any other SBC pattern, it should bolt directly to the LS1 also. Now, as far as input shafts and clutch assemblies, you might need a modified flywheel that can accept the TKO type clutch pressure plate (assuming mounting bolts are different location). Then its a matter of setting up the clutch linkage geometry to properly disengage the clutch. I'm not sure if the input shaft will work with an LS1 pilot bearing, maybe you could call Tremec and see if they make a different input shaft that fits.

Personally, I prefer the smooth hydraulic clutch setups. Much easier to install, and less moving parts. The T56 is a damn good manual also.

dennis68
11-29-2004, 09:49 PM
Tony, are you refering to the 4 bolt from the trans to bellhousing or the actual bellhousing to block? I was under the impression that the genIII engines use a different bellhousing pattern. Since I don't have one yet, I am kind of working in the dark, just want to put together a parts aquisition list.

Hydraulic clutches are OK, 15years of driving nothing but mech linkage has gotten me kind of set on them. Hydraulics seem so vague and slow to respond.

Mkelcy
11-30-2004, 05:57 AM
Lakewood or McLeod make a bellhousing to adapt a Muncie to an LS1. Should work with your TKO.

Nine Ball
11-30-2004, 06:57 AM
Denny, all SBC type mounting bolts (bellhousing to block) bolt right up to the LS1 except for one bolt at the top. Thats how all of our racers are installing TH350s, 400s, 200R4s, powerglides, etc...

I'm damn happy GM kept the bolt pattern consistent! Its like they knew we would like putting these engines in our old hotrods.

dennis68
11-30-2004, 10:07 AM
Cool, thanks a bunch guys......I may wind up with a 6.0 though, much cheaper and more cubes. I'm still not gonna settle for less than 500 at the wheels.

I could probably fab up a single turbo setup with some scraps from around the shop....700RWHP here we come.