PDA

View Full Version : Engine painting?

Blaster11
11-29-2004, 04:50 PM
I would like to paint my LT1 prior to installing and would like to do it right. What type of prep do I need to do (sanding, stripping)? Once all that work is done what type of paint do you use that can be sprayed using a gun. My concern is the paint not sticking, falling off or just burning off?

Thanks,

Bruce

StRacerDuke
11-30-2004, 04:56 AM
I'd suggest hot tanking the block if you really want to paint it right. I have never been able to just 'clean up' a complete longblock before and have the paint come out nice. It's always iffy at best because there is almost always some oil left on it.

If you're okay with the stock colors you can use some hi-temp engine enamel (rattle can). It accually works really well for most jobs. If you want to spray it I would use Eastwood or POR-15 products. You're normal single stage under hood PPG or Dupont paint probably won't withstand the heat although I've never used it before on a block. If you spray the block make sure you clean your gun out really well or you'll ruin it with the Eastwood and POR-15 paints. (I learned the hard way)

Hope this helps.

ProdigyCustoms
11-30-2004, 06:44 AM
We strip the block one way or another. If it is a bare block going to the machine shop, it is dipped. If it is a complete motor just being painted, we either use striper, or sandblast. Obviously if you sandblst there is a mega amount of time in sealing ports.
Either way, once it is bare metal, we use zinc rich self etch primer and high end single stage urethane automotive paint. You can get any color you want, it is shinny, and durable. The self etch with prevent peeling, as long as all the oil is removed first.
Heat is not an issue, good surface prep is everything.

Blaster11
11-30-2004, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the input. The motor is used and just needs to be cleaned up and detailed prior to install.

Bruce

nitrovette
11-30-2004, 05:01 PM
Ive painted several blocks with urethane bc/cc and hold up fine,my current motor in the vette is electronblue bc/cc glasurit.

StRacerDuke
12-01-2004, 03:25 AM
huh,

Didn't know the urethane would hold up to the heat. Thanks for the info. I'll have to give it a try next time.

ProdigyCustoms
12-01-2004, 03:52 PM
It's all about cleaning the poures and primer.

Duesey
01-05-2005, 04:27 AM
I've been using variprime or dp40 with centari for years. I like to use a hardner with the centari. Most durable product I've used. Stay away from Bill Hirsch engine enamels they are crap. Rattlebombs just don't get the depth you can get with a good catalized enamel.

69Lowbird
01-06-2005, 11:59 PM
I have heard stories of clear coat turning yellow(which makes the color look darker) over time from the heat, but it probably would only be noticeable on lighter colors

socalfandabodys
01-07-2005, 08:03 AM
I used rattle can high temp paint on my 68 camaros block 8 years ago and it still looks new. I drive the car everyday and it has been to arizona and nevada several times. I also used it on my 68 chevelles big bock and same story. I didnt use any primer, I just made sure I wire wheeled the whole block until it was bare.