PDA

View Full Version : ford suspension help! which coil over kit to use?

67cougnut
01-12-2007, 09:11 AM
so here in the next few months im wanting to change the front suspension on the 67 cougar.right now it has a stock rebuild with polygraphite bushings and of course bigger sway bar and some springs from mustangs plus.I am going to use the steeroid rack and pinion on my car ( http://www.steeroids.com/html/mustang.html ) due to the fact it has adjustability for bump steer and its the shortest turns lock to lock 2.5 i think. i have already bought the baer track kit for my stock disc spindles but havent installed it yet ( its the 13" set up cross drilled and slotted with polished calipers) my delema is i have been looking at the rrs set up it looks clean( www.rrs-online.com) .it offers coilover struts with adjustable ride height and since its a strut design u get a lot more clearance for wider wheels in the front. the kit also allows for shock tower notching etc.etc. but the phase 1 kit only comes with 11.25" rotors and has rubber brkae hose not even stainles steel! and shipped to my door the best deal i have found is 3,065.00 and in order to get that kit id have to sell my baer kit and still come up with $2k. where as i can put the baers on my car and save up $2k to go towards a total control ( www.totalcontrolsuspension.com) or global west ( www.globalwest.net) setup.

sorry this has been way longer than i wanted it to be. what it comes down to is i want my car to handle better, and i def. want coil over with adj. ride height. but for another $2k i can have all of that or for $3k i can have better handling and way less brake. SO IS THERE ANY FORD GUYS ON THE BOARD WHO HAVE USED ANY OF THESE KITS? PERSONAL EXPERIENCES? I NEED HELP DECIDING WHICH ONE?

I have even pondered the idea of trying to find coil overs for the stock suspension setup just to see if i will like coil overs and to play with the ride height.DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A COMPANY THAT MAKES ADJ.COIL OVERS FOR STOCK SUSPENSION? :help:

larknut
01-18-2007, 09:43 AM
TTT for a friend. C'mon Ford guys chime in.

Marcus SC&C
01-18-2007, 11:29 AM
I wouldn`t say I`m a "Ford guy" per se but we`ve built a LOT of Mustangs in our shop over the years. I`ve built,worked on and tweaked Stangs with both GW,TCP parts and quite a few others. Both GW and TCP are high quality stuff. I had a few issues with both of them and would have rated them about equal until Alston bough TCP and revamped the whole product line. They replaced the heims in the strut rods with greasable delrin race "True Center" joints (Alston`s version Johnny joints). The lower arms also have them. I really like those for the high dirt/water environment of the lower arms. I also really like the adj. upper arms. I`ve run into a few Stangs that I just couldn`t get the alignment specs where I wanted them without adj. arms. Their kit also comes with a template to do sortof a "super shelby mod" for more - camber gain and higher more stable roll center. The Varishock coilovers are also an upgrade from QA1s in durability and function. Nice setup.
I haven`t used a TCP R&P since Alston but I understand they made a number of improvements to it (which it needed).
Check out the TCP subframe connectors and X brace too BTW. We used them on a customers hairy 428CJ Stang and they worked out really well. Big difference in chassis stiffness/ride quality and didn`t loose much ground clearance at all.
I don`t think anyone makes a coilover kit for stock arms and if they did I don`t think I`d want to use it. There`s just enough room in the shock towers for the length of the factory springs. When you consider that coilvers have a few inches of coilover and mount sticking out each end you can see how you`d end up with a really short spring and likely end up in coil bind going over bumps and such. Mark SC&C

67cougnut
01-18-2007, 10:12 PM
right on this is exactly what i need i just need some opinions on some of this stuff so i can get headed in the right direction!!! thanx for ur response.

Mean 69
01-19-2007, 08:53 AM
Do you have a specific timeframe for this? Are you going to use support braces in the engine compartment, such as a Monte Carlo bar, export style braces, etc? Do you mind welding on the factory shock/spring towers to make them stronger?

Mark

LMDGUY
01-22-2007, 04:14 PM
Well I have tried a different brand of suspensions on my cars and customers cars(TCP, Global, Mustang Plus). They have worked well. This time Im gonna try a Heidts mustang II front end. But Im gonna use 2" drop spindles, tubular arms, and Baer brakes. Im still a few weeks out before all the parts are here but I will let you know how it goes.

67cougnut
01-23-2007, 07:11 AM
well my goal is to be on the road by summer time. and i keep hearing how if i run my 17's on the front of the car i will start having wear problems from the factory the car calls for 1 degree negative camber and i got the guy to go 1/2 degree negative camber on the car to try and help battle this supossed "wear" problem. no i wouldnt mind keep the shock towes in this car and as it is now i have a one pieve shock support bar over the two piece factory and i have a mone carlo bar i am going to install but i hav been looking at the tubular shock brace kits. why do u have an idea ???? if so id luv to hear it!!!!

yes please let me know how that mustang II kit works out i have heard some negatives on that style front end as well as positives so please let me know what happens!

67cougnut
01-23-2007, 07:12 AM
i almost for got to to mention before the motor went in i welded the factory shock towers to cure the dreaded shock tower sepperation!!