PDA

View Full Version : Outer wheel housing trouble

nkopper
11-29-2004, 10:49 AM
I am trying to replace the outer wheel wells at the same time as the minitub on my '69 Camaro. Because I live close to the Paddock and didn't have to pay shipping, I bought Goodmark wheel housings from them. Maybe it's just my lack of experience, but these things don't seem to fit worth a s*#$. :pat: Sorry I don't have pics yet. I might try to post some later tonight, but I'll try to describe the problem. The lip around the wheel opening is bent at about a 45 degree angle where it should be a 90. I think I can handle that with a body hammer and dolly. The big problem is where the wheel housing meets the bottom of the rocker panel up front and in between the floor extension and quarter lip on the bottom in the back. The wheel housing does not seem to want to go down into the rocker or quarter, almost like the curve of the housing is not correct. I can't get it to bottom out in the rocker panel or the quarter panel rear. The housing needs to go about 1/2" toward the outside of the car, but nothing I do seems to make it want to go. Does this make sense? Anyone else experienced anything like this with the Goodmark housings?

Anyone live close to me that could spend a Saturday in my garage to show me how to do this right? I'd really like to have the minitub completed by April before my time is consumed with our first baby. This outer wheel housing has already set me back about two or three weeks as it is, and I've got the driver's side to go yet. Being a novice, I knew I'd have a lot to learn, but I can't seem to figure out what exactly needs to be done to get the pieces to fit. :dunno:

Nathan

baz67
11-29-2004, 05:30 PM
Nathan, I had fitment issues with my 67 outer. It is my understanding that all outers are a PITA. Some pics would help greatly.

I just trimmed, hammered, bent, and whatever made it fit, but was able to get a good fit.

Brian

StRacerDuke
11-30-2004, 04:48 AM
I here the same thing about them. Most of their panels are good, but some aren't. You're best bet is to either make it fit or make your own. It all depends on if you want it to look totaly stock or not.

nkopper
11-30-2004, 06:12 AM
Might have found some of the problem. The lower rear quarter rust has been fixed with a patch panel. After I cleared away some of the body filler and seam sealer, the patch doesn't fit quite right. It doesn't line up with the floor board or rear valence very well. Someone did a pretty good job at hiding the patch panel. I couldn't tell it was there with the paint, body filler, and seam sealer in place. The guy I bought the car from had a high school tech ed class paint the car about 12 years ago, so it makes sense that the patch isn't quite right. I'll just have to make the housing fit what I have now and have a real body man tweak it to fit the new quarters. Guess the problem I'm having could be more with my car than the Goodmark repros.

Nathan

ProdigyCustoms
11-30-2004, 06:36 AM
There are some exceptionally bad 69 outers around. I have run into a couple real bad lefts. Maybe order another from a different supplier with a different batch. Even the best ones are less then perfect, but are usable.

nkopper
12-03-2004, 06:38 AM
I just ordered a show quality, USA made passenger side outer housing from Rick's First Gen. If it fits as good as they claim, I'll get one for the driver's side.

Nathan

nkopper
12-13-2004, 07:08 AM
I began fitting the passenger outer wheel housing from Rick's this weekend and I must say I'm very happy with the fit and quality of the American made part. I'm almost ready to weld it in after only about two hours of minor tweaking. No comparison to the Goodmark parts. I'd highly recommend Rick's to anyone who needs quality parts for a resto. They really know their stuff and have great customer service.

If I get the time, I'll try to post pics of the differences between the Goodmark and American made wheel housing for future reference.

Nathan

ILLEGAL69
04-27-2005, 01:31 AM
I am having the same problem. I have a goodmark left that just will not fit. The front lip will not "roll forward" enough to mate up to the rocker panel.

I ordered a dynacorn part, and I am hoping that it will fit better.

Do you have those pictures yet, and any advice would be nice.