PDA

View Full Version : what to do

paulk68
11-29-2004, 07:52 AM
I have a 68 camaro that needs alot of body work the car is completley stripped and i have started to sand down the dash and stuff. due to an up coming wedding the car is going to have to be stored for a while now. since i have sanded the dash surface rust is starting to show up on that. Should i have the car blasted and put in epoxy primer will that keep it from forming new rust while it is just going to be sitting. and if so any one in new england that does a good job with this stuff
thanks Paul

derekf
11-29-2004, 08:03 AM
Epoxy primer will protect the car from the elements.

The decision as to whether or not to have the car blasted is up to you - if there just a little rust, you could just sand it or wire-brush it as needed to get rid of it before priming the car, and have the blasting done (if it's needed) when you're able to start in on the car again.

If there's a lot of rust, you may want to ask yourself if the rusted panels are worth saving or if you should take the money you'd spend on the blaster and spend it on new quarters/floors/whatever instead.

Either way, the epoxy will protect the car.

BRIAN
11-29-2004, 11:21 AM
There is someone in CT that used to advert in the Special Interest paper that does blasting and priming. I would recommend etch primer if storing for extended periods.

68protouring454
11-29-2004, 02:18 PM
I WOULD NOT PUT ETCHING PRIMER ON THE CAR FOR STORAGE!!! etching primer only etches the metal and gives it corrosion resistance, it is intended to be top coated by a urethane or epoxy primer, i have a 67 mustang right now that the owner had the floors, 1/4s and door skins replaced by a friend of his who is a body man but cannot paint due to isocyanite poisoning but he still welds, and gets cars ready for paint, well he can spray etching primer with no problems, so he put car in etching primer and the owner took it to his garage where it sat for 2 years waiting for paint, now the car has seen only condensation and it has rust starting everywhere, even after a going over with 80 grit there are small, minute black spots which is rust, i am going to have to strip entire car including body work done on 1/4 welds etc and use an acid nuetrilizer and scotchbrite the whole thing, then i will put an epoxy/etch primer on it, to seal it, then do body work, then poly prime it and block sand the hell out of it, i will post some picks if needed of what a panel looks like when it was left in etch primer in a garage.
I would have car stripped, then have everything epoxy primed, and it will stay nice,, when ready, sand with 80-180 grit and body work, then urethane primer and block sand, then block some more then paint, i can do any of this for you, but i am in maine, might be too far, i do this for a living, let me know, email me, or pm me.
also most good epoxy primers have etching properties to them, so you do not need to etch then epoxy prime, however i do it both ways depending on situation, sometimes i epoxy prime, other times when it is a rush job i will strip, etch prime, the urethane prime all within a day or 2 in a well heated shop, so there is no vast temp changes, let meknow

Jake

StRacerDuke
11-30-2004, 04:59 AM
Also, Make sure you keep a epoxy primered car out of the sun if at all possible. It doesn't like the UV very much :)