PDA

View Full Version : C15 vs C5 Z06 caliper

nbecker
01-10-2007, 11:39 AM
Are the C15 calipers that ccp sells better than C5 Z06?
Trying to deside if im going to build C5 brake system for my 65 impala drum brake spindles or buy there kit.There kit includes 2 inch
drop spindles, 13 inch rotors with C15 calipers,new hubs and caliper brakets.The kit costs 999.00.

nbecker
01-12-2007, 08:02 AM
Let me know if you never had any experance with the C15 calipers,
Then i will go with the C5 calipers because of the good things ive heard on here.4 wheel drum brakes and no power single master scare the crap out of me!

MonzaRacer
01-12-2007, 08:15 AM
If your drum brakes scare you they need adjusted badly. and maybe flush the fluid, this should help till you get bigger brakes.
As for drop spindles you better go look at the warnings, I believe in the steering/suspension section. with that car you can install Air Ride Technologies CoolRide and a paddle switches cheap and the ride and handling is very much worth it.
I cant remember which car they swap the parts from for disc set up then build it up to the C5 stuff, ask around but I really dont like drop spindles since I have started seeing some issues with them in hard driving situations.
good luck

vintageracer
01-12-2007, 09:53 AM
The C15 calipers do have a greater clamping capacity (psi). They are truck calipers therefore they are certainly cheaper to purchase. Since they are truck calipers originally designed for smaller diameter rotors your must still use the same size brake pad for which the caliper was designed. The brake pad area that contacts the rotor will not have changed. With a larger rotor diameter 13 inch rotor you will have part of the rotor surface area that will not be contacted by the brake pad when using a C15 caliper/pad. It is possible that the increased clamping pressure of the C15 caliper/pad arrangement may be overcome by the greater brake pad surface area on the rotor you enjoy with the C5 caliper since the C5 caliper is designed for use with a large 13 inch rotor.

I have not done any calculations however I am sure that you could determine which caliper/pad/rotor package you have listed above ultimately theoretically provides the shortest stopping distances with a little figurin! Since it is doubtful you would EVER need the full capabilty offered by either system, pick the one that fits your budget and is most physically appealing behind your wheels. For most folks, what looks good is more important than what stops good!

Ditch the drop spindles. They typically create more suspension geometry problems than you have BEFORE any suspension upgrades. Builders use drop spindles when low, slow and stylin is more important than performance and handling. Here again, what looks good is usually more important to most folks than what handles good.

I am currently putting together a C15 setup for a daily run around car WITHOUT the drop spindles. Why? Price. Cheaper than a C5 setup. They will certainly stop better than the 4 wheel drum brakes currently on the car. Since this is a street car, I do not care which is ultimately the best system. The appearance of the C15 system is fine with me under my wheels.

ks71z28
01-12-2007, 11:35 AM
The c15 calipers use a larger pad than does the c5, look at the ccp web site. I inquired to them and never heard back.

Good luck

Garymac69
01-15-2007, 06:31 PM
I'm in the middle of putting the CPP 13" kit on my '69 Camaro. That C15 caliper is a big "Honkin" caliper. I got one side installed already and it looks great on the car. I hope to finish this weekend if I get back from a business trip. I'll update you guys on how well they stop.

Gary

Texan
01-15-2007, 09:16 PM
Fellas - Excuse my ignorance but what truck models have these C-15 calipers? Are they the same as the 01' & up HD truck 2 piston calipers?

triplecap
01-17-2007, 03:47 PM
Nbecker / Texan / VintageRacer:

I've got a new CPP Big Brake Kit for sale if you're interested, I'm selling them so I can run 14" rotors. PM me if you're interested.

Thanks,
Eric

ItDoRun
01-21-2007, 02:06 PM
Are the C15 calipers aluminum or cast iron?

triplecap
01-23-2007, 02:13 PM
Not sure if they're all this way, but the CPP C15 calipers are cast iron.