PDA

View Full Version : Big Block Fan and radiator fitment troubles

HTRDMX55
01-09-2007, 11:18 PM
Hey just went to install my radiator and mark viii fan and there is no way in hell its going to fit my big block with long water pump and march pulley set up. Even if i trim the core support, flip the fan upside and relocate the side mounts on the radiator it still isnt going to fit. Any suggestions with out having to replace the water pump and accesories. Oh by the way its is a small block aluminum rad. Any one know of a decent electric fan that will fit.

Steve68
01-10-2007, 03:31 AM
I think the consensus is small water pump,

dhardison
01-10-2007, 05:22 AM
Even with a short water pump I couldn't get my Griffin rad and Mark VIII fan to fit with my 454. I ended up using a short pump with a Spal dual 11" fan set up.

HTRDMX55
01-10-2007, 08:50 AM
I dont want to use a short pump then my million dollar march set up will have to be replaced. What about a pusher fan. There has to be some other solution

Madspeed
01-10-2007, 10:44 AM
Sell me the fan and get somthing thinner.
There Is NO fan anywhere that pulls the amount of air the Lincoln fan pulls, Not even close Ive checked out a lot in person by feel of course at booths.
Pushers dont put enough air through the rad. you need a puller
I had a 468 In my last camaro I tried a lot of fans with no great success. I ended up Nuking the engine and dumping the car.

Ill buy it if you cant use it send me a pm

HTRDMX55
01-10-2007, 03:59 PM
ok even if i trimmed the core support and shortened the radiator brackets id only gain a half an inch. I measured between the radiator and water pump pulley and I only have 3 to 3 1/2 inches at best. Ok whats the slimmest most powerful fan made.

dhardison
01-10-2007, 05:15 PM
Summit part #BCI-75007 is the fan I'm using to cool my 572. It's listed as a BeCool, but is actually a Spal fan. With a DC Controls digi controller and Griffin rad it keeps things nice and cool. Like I mentioned I'm running a short pump (w/March pulleys), but since the pump pulley sticks out between the fans you might have enough clearance with a long pump as well.

HTRDMX55
01-11-2007, 01:54 PM
Would you happen to know the distance from your radiator to the front of your pulley. And how much room do you have between the radiator and the fan assembly.

dhardison
01-11-2007, 06:58 PM
Would you happen to know the distance from your radiator to the front of your pulley. 3.5" I'm using a March WP pulley with the billet cover, so without the cover I'd gain another 3/8"-1/2".

And how much room do you have between the radiator and the fan assembly.None, the fan assembly is mounted flush to the radiator.

italiano362
02-08-2007, 08:23 AM
I have a BB 427 with a long water pump with an Northern aluminum radiator and dual Spal fans with the March pulleys. On Ebay you will see the setup I have and the fans are offset so the point of the pulley is in between the two hfans. I have about .75inch gap. Works slick and did not have to custom do anything. Sat on the phone along time until this setup was delivered. 67 camaro by the way.

hotrdblder
02-08-2007, 09:13 AM
dan, any pics of the install??

HTRDMX55
04-12-2007, 04:15 PM
hey italiano362 do you have the dimensions of the fan set up as far as height and width. Also what type of radiator are you running.

EFI69Cam
04-13-2007, 09:59 AM
My BBC 69 Camaro has a long pump, griffin OEM style rad, and dual spal fan. The fan was mounted slightly off center to clear the wp pulley. Its close, and the only WP pulley that works is a steel stocker.

The fan does not really need to be centered on the radiator, can you move it to one side or the other to clear?

J2speedandcustom
04-13-2007, 02:16 PM
We run a (454 block) an Afco radiator, Mark VIII fan, Billet specialties V-trac accessories with short water pump. We mounted the fan as far to the drivers side as possible and it sits to the side of the water pump pulley and has about 1/8" clearance. Works perfectly. This is also with a 3/4" shroud on the rad.

whytry
04-17-2007, 07:52 AM
You could convert to electric water pump? I have the Meziere polished hi-flow on my 468bbc in a Camaro with the Griffin radiator and Mark VIII fan. Offset the fan just a little and fits nice....

MonzaRacer
05-27-2007, 08:08 PM
You guys are so funny I ran a 402 BBC with high compression and use a 3 core rad and a single fan/shround from old GM Jbody(like a cavalier) to cool it and it never ran hot I made several for others and never had any problems in my 70 Monte Carlo. I use d a chrysler temp switch that screwed int othe head and it turned on a relay.
The speed of the fan is a moot point its the amount of air you can move at a decent speedbut not too fast or it wont cool.
I kept a small block cool with a 3 row in a chevy Monza and if anyone ever had an Hbody and built any engine at all know how fun they are to keep cool.
Heck I had a 350 in a 86 Ford ranger with the factory 2.0 4 cyl no air rad in it till i wrecked it and this was driven every day from hot days in Aug/Sept and that truck never got over 200 degrees.
I see all of you scrambling to panick if your engine gets over 200 degrees and spend thousands on stuff but have no clue about cooling.
I have seen 350s cooled with sirrocco rads and never over heat and you guys get to wigging even with no problems yet ,,,like cars arent even on road yet.
An engine running at a peak of 220 degrees on the high side and you guys have serious convultions.
I wish I had the means to relate my knowledge of cooling system parts mixing and matching. You guys would freak if you saw some of the parts I used and had no problems.
dont mean to offend just cant stand to see people aggonize over nothing.
Good luck to all.
Lee