PDA

View Full Version : Advise please on header length

chevysrumble
01-07-2007, 08:08 PM
Hello, I need advise on whether to run full length or 3/4 length headers on my 68 Camaro 396 big block I am currently building. The car will be dropped 3" total in the front and 2" in the rear and I am worried about ground clearance. I am comparing the Dougs header part #D320 full length to their D306 3/4 length as I am well aware of Hookers being low on the drivers side. Are any of you running full length headers on your lowered cars? I am not wanting to drag these things off on every bump in the road. Thanks for the advise.

VOC67
01-12-2007, 07:38 AM
Here is a pic of my 67 camaro. I have 2" drop spindles and air ride also. It is slammed and the header is nearly touching the ground. I have the hooker super comps and I am having clearance problems with the power steering box. I am searching for headers that will work with my application. I am running a bbc tall deck and cant find headers that will work on the drivers side cause of the power steering box. I am pulling my hair out.

cluxford
01-14-2007, 10:50 PM
I am also about to put a tall deck BBC in my 68 Camaro, I've heard that Lemons Headers www.lemonsheaders.com make headers for tall decks in 1st Gens, but require the engine to run on SBC motor mounts. They are expesive though $1100.

I am not that far into my build.

Would be interested to see what you do on the PS motor. This is an issue I am expecting to come across. I know 1 guy who ended up running manual steering, but would imagine it's heavy.

chevysrumble
02-14-2007, 08:44 PM
I just thought you guys would want to know, I decided to try a full length set of headers on my big block 68 Camaro and just got them in yesterday. I went with Dougs headers and decided to put them on to see how they were going to fit. Managed to get the drivers side on and they cleared great with no dimples like I see so often on big block cars, tucked up real nice to the underside of the body and don`t appear to be an issue on the 3" dropped front suspension I was worried about. I did have to remove the steering box to slide it in from the bottom side. Passenger side appears to be just as good with an idler arm removal to get it in. Car still has a way to go before I can drive but so far I think I made the right choice.