PDA

View Full Version : 3m microfinish

socalfandabodys
11-28-2004, 01:01 PM
I just got my car back from paint and looks dull in some areas. Like theres not enough paint. What kind of polish is recommended to bring out some shine in the paint while removing swirls and small scratches. Is the 3m microfinish good because thats what was recommended

68protouring454
11-29-2004, 04:20 AM
is the new paint base/clear?? if it is dull was it wet sanded and buffed?? if so they just did not buff it enough to get the scratches out, generally when using 1500 grit you need to buff each panel 3 different times to get it all the sanding marks out, thats why i like to knock the clear down with 1500 then finish with 2500 and you can buff with 1 to 1.5 passes on the panel, make life alot easier. I like 3m perfect it II and perfect it III alot better than micro finish, let us know
jake

socalfandabodys
11-29-2004, 05:31 PM
yes its a base coat clear coat. They color sanded it and buffed it but I only think once. I used some 3m swirl remover and it seemed to help a little bit. I will go buy the perfect it later in the week

StRacerDuke
11-30-2004, 04:45 AM
You'll have to use the Finess-it II before you use the swirl remover if you want to bring it out. Sounds to me like the didn't buff it out all the way.

I'd take some Finess-it II with a low speed wool pad and go over it a few times. You want to then follow it up with some softer compound to take the swirls out of it. I've done this on the last few cars I painted and they came out like a mirror.

Hope this helps.

ProdigyCustoms
11-30-2004, 06:48 AM
I recently switched from 3M stuff to Evercoat products. Seems to have a bit more oil in it, helps avoid burning and gets it there easier.
I would use finess it or Evercoats white, but with a yellow polishing pad instead of the wool.